Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Q discontinued?

I have just, this morning, been told the Pentax Q has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
Went to the B&H website last night to order the Pentax Q, because of the latest price
announced here, but the Q was nowhere to be found on their website. I did see the 02
lens price increased from $252 to $399, though.
When I called B&H this morning, I asked the salesman to order the Pentax Q for me,
at the newly announced "low" price. After a short wait, he told me it wasn't on any of
his lists and must be temporarily out of stock. I asked him to check on when more stock
was expected and he placed me on hold. After about a three minute wait, he came back
on the line and told me his manager told him the Pentax Q has been discontinued by the
manufacturer.
So, the question I now have is: Is the Q completely discontinued or will there be a new model?

04-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Given that new Q lenses are on the roadmap, and the Q is currently the only body for the system, I'd be very surprised if it were discontinued. So if it is, a successor must be around the corner.
04-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I hope so (but cannot imagine) ... time to get serious, Pentax!
04-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting. Just yesterday Adam posted the announcement of the Instant Rebate lowering the Q price to $499. This is how UPP is supposed to work. Adorama has it on their website with the $499 price. Maybe B&H hasn't fully adjusted to the new policies.

04-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Henry ????
04-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Its 10:36am EDT and B&H shows a two-lens kit for $826.95 in either black or white. Both are listed as being "In Stock".

pentax q

Perhaps B & H was just updating their website when you looked.
04-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Discontinuing/replacing in less than 1 year is a little strange, even for an entry level camera like Q.

04-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Weird. It seems to be available in Japan, so I doubt this is correct.
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As of now (11:15 AM EDT) B&H lists the Q in the two lens kit in both black and white.

NaCl(I think B&H got confused)H2O
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I bet the next Q will be the one with a full frame sensor!

04-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Indeed I think they go confused, as now the Q is gone again. Might be because of a web site update.

I spoke with them, and they said that they weren't yet able to secure the $499 price that Adorama had, though. Not sure what Pentax is doing bheind their back...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I bet the next Q will be the one with a full frame sensor

It would be nothing less than history making to see a Pentax full frame - ever since the end of the production film cameras. A note on prices though about that possibility... IF it was done by Pentax the body alone price would most likely be $2600 to perhaps $3100++.

But unfortunately I don't really see Pentax doing a full frame version in something such as the Q or a possible replacement - as similiar ideas haven't worked in other camera brands. The closest things such as the Sigma DP's have never really taken off - nor have ones such as the current offering by Fuji. Yes I'm aware of the sensor sizes in both, but I though it would be interesting to compare.

A full frame in a Pentax would most likely come in the form of either a Pentax K-02 or a new version of a K-5. most protographers and even non-photographers would agree upon that one. I also believe that for Pentax it's not if full frame will come out - but more so when
04-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I spoke with them, and they said that they weren't yet able to secure the $499 price that Adorama had, though. Not sure what Pentax is doing bheind their back...
this is the real issue then. I agree not sure why Pentax would be giving them the run around. it is possible adorama jumped the gun to.

It's a little early for it to be discontinued, but i would not be surprised at all to see a Q2 before year end with the dial expanded to support the new lenses on the way
04-27-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Discontinued or not (and I am thinking definitely not) I just purchased it from Adorama. Good price!
04-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Discontinued or not (and I am thinking definitely not) I just purchased it from Adorama. Good price!
Don't forget to claim your free year of marketplace access once the order ships
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/179091-pentax-q-special-bu...er-status.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: