Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Don't forget to claim your free year of marketplace access once the order ships
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/179091-pentax-q-special-bu...er-status.html
..so you can sell it?

05-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #17
Veteran Member

The Q is back at B & H. There are two camera-only (with lens) offerings in white and in black, at $499. There are two two-lens offerings, in white and in black.

All are listed as "In Stock", so apparently, the Q has not been discontinuted, after all.
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is available everywhere in the world, but because there weren't any in a single shop in New York, ti was considered discontinued?
05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
It is available everywhere in the world, but because there weren't any in a single shop in New York, ti was considered discontinued?
Well we Americans are rather Amero-centric.

05-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Actually, he didn't make that assessment based on that. It seems he was told by a rep at the store that PentaxImaging (Pentax USA) told them that. Obviously the people were misinformed and that has been resolved earlier in the thread. There is no need for a general cheap shot. There have been items discontinued in the past in the U.S.A. that was still available in other markets.

From the OP:
QuoteQuote:
I asked him to check on when more stock
was expected and he placed me on hold. After about a three minute wait, he came back
on the line and told me his manager told him the Pentax Q has been discontinued by the
manufacturer.
05-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Arrived back home this morning, from another in a series of doctor appointments, to find B&H now has the “discontinued” Pentax Q back in stock, along with the new, lower, prices. Well, except for the 02 lens, which is still $300 at B&H and $253 at Adorama.
Interestingly, my saga began because I decided to purchase a camera for our daughter (MAK) to begin using for herself, rather than using Mommy’s iPhone to take pictures. My requirements for my MAK’s camera: small, easy to use, has both an LCD screen and a viewfinder, and preferably available in two color schemes.
MAK doesn’t NEED a viewfinder; she is quite capable of using the screen on Mommy’s iPhone to take pics. I wanted the viewfinder and two color schemes because I need to have the same camera to learn to use it and thus be able to teach MAK how to use it. My eyes need a viewfinder. As for the two color schemes, I won’t let MAK use MY Pentax equipment and therefore I will not use HER camera. A different color scheme prevents any argument about whom is using whose camera.
The Pentax Q checked a lot of boxes and I began considering the Pentax Q based on the experimentation with it and various lenses posted by brandrx in another forum. The new pricing of the Q galvanized me into action and I called B&H to make a purchase. The salesman had some incentive to find out when the Q would be back in stock, as he was looking at a $2,000 sale.
Being told the Pentax Q was “discontinued by the manufacturer” by the B&H salesman was a little shocking to me and I posted this information online. When Adam posted he had talked to B&H and was told B&H was unable to get the new, lower Q pricing… Well, that was another shocker considering what I have read concerning Pentax’s new marketing strategy.
So, the final outcome… Pentax loses my purchase of two Q systems.
As for MAK’s camera… she gets TWO cameras and a viewfinder for only $50 more than the Q system with two lenses and a viewfinder.
RayGunn
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RayGunn Quote
So, the final outcome… Pentax loses my purchase of two Q systems.
I fail to understand this entire thread. The camera at the promotional price was readily available at Adorama, as well as many other locations as was replied immediately after your post. You liked the camera. An ill-infomred salesman gave you bad information. You asked, we answered. Did you buy something else at B&H?

Why, then, did you buy something else - and why rub our noses in it here? B&H made the error.

05-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #23

Yeah so can you guys believe this!? BH didn't have this camera and now they do, what bull! I'll just go ahead and buy a Leica M9. That'll show Pentax to allow a single store to not carry a camera for a week. Must be part of their new "Marketing" scheme.

</facetious>
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
..so you can sell it?
Low blow!

Here's the new Q listing at B&H: pentax q

Moving this to the Q forum as it's turned in to more of a discussion than a rumor thread.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The camera at the promotional price was readily available at Adorama, as well as many other locations as was replied immediately after your post. You liked the camera. An ill-infomred salesman gave you bad information.
Perhaps I may be able to enlighten you. My original post just passed along the information given to me be a B&H salesperson who got the information from his manager. I passed along this information because I was really shocked the Q would be discontinued so soon, so suddenly.
As for the information supplied "immediately after your post", my life doesn't revolve around waiting for replies to a post I make to a forum.
When I did return to this thread, I read, in post #11, a response from Adam: "I spoke with them, and they said that they weren't yet able to secure the $499 price that Adorama had, though. Not sure what Pentax is doing bheind their back..."
I don't know why there was a problem between Pentax marketing and B&H. Maybe Pentax required a large, minimum purchase before the lower price could be used. Whatever the problem was is irrelevant to me.
I choose to purchase my new equipment, whether it be Pentax or another brand, from B&H Photo because B&H has provided me with superior customer service for well over three years. If you have a problem with my being a loyal B&H customer, well, too bad. Deal with it.
One other item: you indicate many other locations had/have the Q at the promotional price. Just for your edification, here is a list from a Google search I just performed, beginning with the lowest available price and working up from there:

Of the eight sellers with a price for the Q of less than $500, three are eBay sellers.
Do you really consider either five, or eight, sellers to be "many"?
05-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Yeah so can you guys believe this!? BH didn't have this camera and now they do, what bull! I'll just go ahead and buy a Leica M9. That'll show Pentax to allow a single store to not carry a camera for a week. Must be part of their new "Marketing" scheme.
</facetious>
Read my response to monochrome. It's just as appropriate for you.
05-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by RayGunn Quote
I choose to purchase my new equipment, whether it be Pentax or another brand, from B&H Photo because B&H has provided me with superior customer service for well over three years. If you have a problem with my being a loyal B&H customer, well, too bad. Deal with it.
Well, if you consider one of their sales people lied to you and said they were discontinued by the manufacturer instead of "The Q is out of stock at this time," you may be the one that needs enlightening because a part time sales person speaking speculation to customers isn't good customer service.

Frankly, the forums don't care where you buy your equipment.* We aren't on commission to sell Pentax solutions to folks who have Canon/Nikon needs, but if an employee's apparently incorrect speculation drove you to buy a product you didn't initial choose as your first pick, then in this regard, B&H has behaved like so many typical retail shops by facilitating the notion that Pentax isn't for you, is inferior, or simply doesn't have your back simply because they don't have multi-million dollar ad campaigns featuring Ashton Kutcher or Andre Agasi.

*So long as it isn't stolen, or if it is bought through a partner, like Adorama or B&H, use the stickied links and let Adam know so the forums get a few bucks to keep up with operation costs.

EDIT:
QuoteQuote:
what I have read concerning Pentax’s new marketing strategy.
As someone who works in retail, allow me a minute to explain Unilateral Pricing Agreements or Policies. Retailers and manufacturers would rather work on finding a customer the right solution for their needs, than hunting through ad papers and potentially fishy websites for the lowest price. They level the playing field for all retailers, no matter brick and mortar, or online. This greatly helps local businesses as people can walk into stores, see product, and walk out that night, and yet the customer got a better experience because of it, and didn't lose out on a thing.

If anything, Pentax employing Unilateral Pricing means higher margins for B&H and other retailers since the original MSRP was a few hundred bucks up on lenses. Where you get your ideas of how this new policy works is beyond me because you seem angry at Pentax for something they didn't do, but you still begrudge them for. Surely you've heard of strawmen arguments?

Last edited by Kryscendo; 05-02-2012 at 12:26 AM.
05-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #28

I seriously do not even know why I am engaging further into this. Someone straight up lied to you, you trusted them, bought a different product than the one you wanted, and now scorn the manufacturer and mock its userbase when that lie came to light as untrue.

So what was it, a Nikon- Canon? Because I am sure they too have forums you can condescending in.
05-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #29

Photos: Albums
What's the price on Amazon US?

I just bought the Pentax Q 2 lens kit (Prime & Zoom lens) from Amazon UK for £449 which seemed like a pretty good price. I received it last week and I've been impressed with it so far.

No fuss about it being discontinued...received the camera a day after I ordered it....
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I thank you, Kryscendo, for providing a response which is a little more considered than your previous response. Since I am still unclear about a few things, I have some questions for which I would appreciate an answer from you.

You wrote:
Well, if you consider one of their sales people lied to you and said they were discontinued by the manufacturer instead of "The Q is out of stock at this time,"
If you will take the time to read my original post, you will find I DID, IN FACT, indicate the sales person’s use of the words “out of stock”. When I pressed for when it might be IN STOCK, the sales person, after putting me on hold to “check with my manager”, came back on the line to relate the “discontinued” status. Did the sales person lie to me about checking with his manager? I don’t KNOW but I BELIEVE he did not. If the sales person correctly related his manager’s response, did the manager fail to give the correct information to the sales person? I don’t KNOW but I see no reason not to BELIEVE what I was told.
Do you have some knowledge which allows you to KNOW the sales person and/or the manger lied to me?

You wrote:
…because a part time sales person speaking speculation to customers isn't good customer service.
Well, in and of itself, that statement is kind of a truism, don’t you think? My question for you is, since I did not identify the sales person, how do you KNOW the sales person is a “part time sales person”?

You wrote:
Frankly, the forums don't care where you buy your equipment.
Well, that’s good to hear as I was beginning to wonder about it.

You wrote:
… doesn't have your back simply because they don't have multi-million dollar ad campaigns …
It might interest you to KNOW… The ONLY thing which influences my purchase of Pentax equipment is the photos posted on various forums. Ads nowadays seem to be only sound bites and video bites. If you don’t like online ads, and you use the Firefox browser, here’s a suggestion for you: install the NoScript addon to Firefox.

You wrote:
… allow me a minute to explain Unilateral Pricing Agreements …
I don’t need your explanation. I understand them at least as well as you, if not better. Nowhere in any of the forums in which I participate will you find any post complaining about Pentax’s new pricing policy.
You WILL find posts of mine indicating my complete dissatisfaction with Pentax’s increased lens prices WITHOUT A CORRESPONDING INCREASE IN THE LENGTH OF THEIR LENS WARRANTIES. Nothing you, or anyone else, can do, or say, will make me back down from that dissatisfaction.

You wrote, about unilateral pricing agreements:
… They level the playing field for all retailers, no matter brick and mortar, or online.
Would you agree with me, Kryscendo, that the intent of Pentax’s new marketing strategy includes making their dealers “equal” to one another? If you agree with me on that, would you also agree with me that Adam, when he posted:
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
... I spoke with them, and they said that they weren't yet able to secure the $499 price that Adorama had, though. Not sure what Pentax is doing bheind their back...
does, in fact, have access to upper management at B&H that you and I do not have, and that what Adam was told was NOT a lie, and that Adam correctly posted what B&H upper management told him?
If you do agree with me on those items, my question for you is: Why was B&H not yet able to secure the new, lower pricing which other dealers already obtained? And my add-on question: Does Pentax marketing deal with their dealers in such a way as to make one, or more, dealers “more equal” than other dealers?
From the very first SRT101 SLR I purchased many, many years ago, until this week, I have been an SLR/DSLR snob. Until brandrx posted his experiments last week with the Q, using long lenses, I would not have looked at, nor considered purchasing a camera which was not an SLR/DSLR.
Brandrx’s photos from the Q made me stop and take a look at the Q. The above answer from Adam, the only one which made sense to me at the time, caused me to examine other options for my daughter’s camera.
I do not understand what was going on between Pentax and B&H. Had the Q kits been in stock at B&H, as well as Adorama, my daughter and I would be Q owners. I certainly don’t see that as the fault of B&H, nor anyone at B&H, and I certainly see no rational reason for you to keep indicating people at B&H were lying.