Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nice, and nice portrait! Is she on the forum yet?
I ask her Adam, she said that she wasn't old enough yet to spend her time sitting on a computer all day ( turned 80 last January

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Don't let her near the fisheye
It's too late, she wants to go to the Camera Store.....

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Impressive results from the camera, and a fine portrait.
Thank you, I was surprised as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
That is a very impressive result. A new Avatar image me thinks..!

You're right but I like the old one.

The larger DOF is apparent, but the somewhat grainy shadows enhances the image and makes your portrait pop. Nice overall effect.
It reminds me of 35mm Adox 50

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
must say very very good portrait. I can't see any flaw in it. Technically wonderful and most importantly mood and feel of photo is top class.
Thank you, like I said before I was pleasantly surprised with this little camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Thanks for sharing your (wife's) experience ... with the recent price drop, the Q system is maybe back on my possible acquisition radar screen ... still at long range though.

Salut, John le Frog
You are welcome and I don't think that we would have bought it at the original price.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well congrats at the Q, since that is a very nice capable camera with that #01 lens.
Thank you, that is a very good lens but she also wants the #2 and the fish-eye.

04-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Wow -- nice IQ. The Q really does have an outstanding sensor. I guess it's not the size of the sensor but the quality of the pixels (and lens...and the photographer).
Whatever Pentax did it works.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Yep, gorgeous portrait.
As KevinR points out, I got the conclusion that a big part of what I like in the Q's IQ is the grain. Grain was not necessarily a defect in the film era, but it became so with early digital sensors because they used to have awful chroma noise, banding, etc. But the Q sensor has a really nice grain, look for example at the bricks on the right side of the picture.
Heinrich, I'm curious: does it come form RAW of is it an ooc JPEG?
Thanks and as I said before the grain reminds me of 35mm Adox 50. The image was processed from RAW, we shoot everything in RAW.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Amazing resolution, and a very nice shot. I just drove through Airdrie the other day, on the way back from Saskatoon!

Cheers,
Cameron
Thank you, you should have stopped for a coffee, we are in the phone book and all of 3 minutes from the highway.

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Great shot...what lighting was used?
Edit: nevermind, I just re-read the post and its available light. I am impressed because the face pops against a darker background.
I am impressed as well, I do like the way that lens renders the light and than sometimes everything just falls together in the right way.

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
It is a wnderful portrait. Yes, the Q is a highly capable camera.
Two month ago I would have argued with you but now I know it.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Wow, fantastic portrait. Honestly this quality of shot takes me a bit by surprise.
Took me by surprise as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Wife has good photography skills to create such a strong portrait. The Q didn't let her down. Great camera choice.
thanks for sharing
barondla

Yes, you need your own Q.
I agree with you that she is a decent photographer but she doesn't think so. I can't get my own, was told that K20D and K5 is enough but that if I ask nice I can borrow hers.
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #18

She never shoots SLR? She's so talented!
05-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the invite...next time I'm by!

Cheers,
Cameron

05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

What a really, really good portrait!

Of course, a photo like this is more a result of a handsome subject and talented photographer than the camera... but at least the Q is up to the task.
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Thanks for the invite...next time I'm by!

Cheers,
Cameron
Looking forward to it.

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
She never shoots SLR? She's so talented!
Way, way back when she had a Minolta SLR, ( was a gift from work) I thought that she was doing well with it but she did not like it and traded it for a Pentax P/S. (film)

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
What a really, really good portrait!

Of course, a photo like this is more a result of a handsome subject and talented photographer than the camera... but at least the Q is up to the task.
Ah, thank you kindly dear sir, the camera did well.
06-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

Does taking great photographs run in the family?!

When my wife pointed out the Q available on fab.com at a great price with case, memory (don't want that downgrade actually), and a 3 year warranty for $520 she put it back on my radar screen. From what I've seen I'd probably put the fisheye on and never remove it, but this is becoming a "don't need it but really want it" item for me. And I want to get the K adapter to mount the 300/2.8 on it simply for the sheer absurdity of it. ...who knows, it might every work well?

Last edited by m8o; 06-07-2012 at 09:24 AM.
06-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #23

Very nice. I am extremely fond of ~50mm lenses; many years ago after "graduating" from my first MF SLR which only had a 50mm, I wouldn't think of using a "standard" lens; but after acquiring an old Leica and only being able to afford that 1 50mm Leica lens for some time, I realized that it really is a lovely FL. I totally fell in love with 50's again.

I think the Q's 50 is quite good. I don't like it as much as my Summilux, but I like it better than many 50's I've owned, and I think it has a very nice way of rendering. In particular, it draws light quite well; much less macro-contrast than many modern lenses which seem to be so heavy handed to me. In many ways its micro-contrast is more Leica-like than most modern lenses. And it has great bokeh, in my opinion, if you're into that sort of thing. Of course DoF isn't as slim as I'm used to, but it's slim enough to have a nice "pop" to your subject in many cases. What a treat for a "free" (ish) kit lens.

To be honest--if a wide prime of equal quality comes out, and a "portrait" tele, this little camera system will really get my attention.

My Q actually isn't "mine," either. I bought it for my wife. But I can't seem to put it down.

Re: grain. I really like the grain from this sensor, also. To me, turning NR to "LOW" and "Fine Sharpness +1" or +2 brings this out nicely.
06-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M80, just buy Q. It will spoil you. It is very difficult to put down. The fisheye is great and that 300 2.8 would be a knock out ultra tele. The Q allows pics that are normally out of reach. Try one.
thanks
barondla
06-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
M80, just buy Q. It will spoil you. It is very difficult to put down. The fisheye is great and that 300 2.8 would be a knock out ultra tele. The Q allows pics that are normally out of reach. Try one.
thanks
barondla
+1. It's both a fun and functional camera which feels right and works right.