Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #1

objective adapter on a Q

Hey,
I just tried a objective adapter for Nikon lenses on my Q and I am very frustrated.
The external flash connected to the hotshoe of the Q is not working.
With the original lens 8.5mm it works.
I can't adjust the shutter speed faster than 1/15 s in M-mode with the adapter.
Has anybody tried the same ? With what result ?
Or is this a fault at my Q ?
Any idea ?
Thanks
Heinz

04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no fault with the camera. When the Q is using its electronic shutter, the maximum flash sync speed is 1/13s.
04-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Heinz,

Adapted lenses and flash currently don't play well on the Q.

The Q currently will not trigger a non P-TTL flash with a non Q system lens, but it will sometimes fire either the popup or an external P-TTL flash (in what appears to be a P-TTL mode) when the flash setting in the menu is set to slow sync or red eye reduction. It appears to actually meter the flash on these occasions, but this is not consistent -- it will sometimes fire the flash at full power, and sometimes not at all.

Non P-TTL flashes will only fire with Q system lenses when the flash menu is set to "off".

The 1/13 shutter speed is the fastest speed that the electronic shutter will sync at. Since adapted lenses are limited to using the electronic shutter, the camera defaults to this whenever the popup flash is raised or an external flash is fitted to the hotshoe.

All of this, except perhaps the shutter situation (this is a well known limitation of some CMOS sensor electronic shutters) is really unacceptable AFAIC, as it can hardly be considered normal flash behavior, and I've written to Pentax about it. I was told that they have sent the info to Pentax Japan, but I haven't heard anything more about it, so I'm waiting to see if a rumored firmware fix will come with the release of Pentax's own K to Q lens adapter this spring before I start to get more insistent about them fixing this.

I'm assuming that flash with a non Q system lens was not tested at all before release -- and release might have been rushed by Pentax/Hoya since the announcement came days before the Pentax/Ricoh purchase announcement. I'd imagine that Q firmware fixes in the area of adapted lenses isn't high on their priority list, but if they release their own adapter without fixing this, then there will be no excuses left IMO.

In the meantime, I've worked around most of the limitations the flash situation imposes, but it's inconvenient, and my patience does have some limits. . .They should give such an advanced camera at least industry standard flash functionality for digital cameras with a hotshoe.

It's not just your camera -- You are not alone. . .

Scott
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments.
Now I know it's not a fault at my Q.
So I will also hope for an firmware update which solves the problems and the Q becomes more useful for me.

Thanks
Heinz