Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I touched a Q today in Sydney!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Had a bit of a play with the Standard Prime ans seemed pretty responsive. Going on other member desciptions I was waiting for a dense feel to it but never came. It was light as a feather but solid, a strange combination, similar to some road cycle parts I handle sometimes. The sales guy seem genuinely enthusiastic about the camera saying as I looked at it "Its an unconventional camera thats for sure its said to have great picture quality and a nice fast 1.9 45mm eq lens" I told him I knew plenty about it and is meant to be alot of fun, it would suit someone who wanted a great camera everywhere they go, in jacket/handbag materiel and feels tough and well made like a nice watch I also mentioned they maybe coming down in price abit which he said was good as it was a tough suggested sell to customers at the moment.
BTW it was on display at Teds on Pitt Street if anyone wants a lookie.

05-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
Banned

Nate “Blunty” Burr from Sydney loves the Q !

05-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't even seen one yet.
That video is the most enthusiastic camera review I've seen. Fun yet informative.
I think this sentence sums it up nicely:
"If you are a photography enthusiast who can see past the details on a spec sheet and into what the camera can actually provide you in your photographic adventuring, give the Pentax Q a look"

Thanks,
05-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have to admit that I haven't really taken the Q seriously, but Blunty's review has me thinking ....

Isn't it a little weird though that the K-01 and Q have such different control interfaces? I suspect that the next generation of each of these products will feature a unified control interface that borrows from the best features of each.

05-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was touching my new Q for the last 3 months,took over 3000 shots, and it is very fine , enjoyable and capable camera.
I haven't touched much of my KX and K7 during that time.
Now, i have an used K5 coming my way, there will be lots of enjoyable K5 camera touching happening soon.
All Pentaxians , enjoy happy Pentax touching while you can!
05-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the Q a lot since I got it, I have taken 2500 exposures in just under 6 weeks since I got my Q, compared to 1000 exposures in the whole of 2012 so far using my DSLR (which was the only camera I had upto 6 weeks ago!)

I find the Q inspires creativity, and begs to be used
05-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I have used the Q a lot since I got it, I have taken 2500 exposures in just under 6 weeks since I got my Q, compared to 1000 exposures in the whole of 2012 so far using my DSLR (which was the only camera I had upto 6 weeks ago!)

I find the Q inspires creativity, and begs to be used
Its this aspect I would love one for, strapped to my hand to take any barrier to my photography and throw it out the window. I was walking around the streets and saw numerous occasions for a street candid but felt the drawing up of my K7 and "Cyclops Eye" Sigma 17-70 would scare them off.
Unless I get a windfall soon I don't see myself getting one even at the lower price, I think the lower resolution screen and reduced battery life make me want to check out any Q II on the horizon otherwise I would be in negotiations with my better half for an early birthday present. However this still may happen!
I would definitely still shoot the K7 but just leave it for dedicated photo walks-trips and future work.

05-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Its this aspect I would love one for, strapped to my hand to take any barrier to my photography and throw it out the window. I was walking around the streets and saw numerous occasions for a street candid but felt the drawing up of my K7 and "Cyclops Eye" Sigma 17-70 would scare them off.
Unless I get a windfall soon I don't see myself getting one even at the lower price, I think the lower resolution screen and reduced battery life make me want to check out any Q II on the horizon otherwise I would be in negotiations with my better half for an early birthday present. However this still may happen!
I would definitely still shoot the K7 but just leave it for dedicated photo walks-trips and future work.
good thinking.
that's what I do, there are two Q's now on AU eBay both look OK:
black with 01:
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r
black with 01+02+ IR remote +extras:
05-02-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
good thinking.
that's what I do, there are two Q's now on AU eBay both look OK:
black with 01:
black with 01+02+ IR remote +extras:
Nooooooooooo! That is just cruel! Especially as by the time I find a job they will likely be gone!
05-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #10

Does Teds have the white version on display? I gotta see it!!!
05-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just the black-I'm keen to see the white as well
05-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
I have to admit that I haven't really taken the Q seriously, but Blunty's review has me thinking ....

Isn't it a little weird though that the K-01 and Q have such different control interfaces? I suspect that the next generation of each of these products will feature a unified control interface that borrows from the best features of each.
I love Blunty! I would love to meet that guy, I love his enthusiasm! I found the interface very similar between the cameras If you are meaning some of where the buttons are this is necessary for how the camera is held and keeping the size of the camera down in the case of the Q, this made more sense when I held the K-01 which I did the same day.
05-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm gonna get one!

I have decided rather than a 40mm lens to get a Q instead- Will just have to extend my birthday a bit further back.
Also The Bride of a wedding I 2nd shot for loved her photos so much she wants to get me something so I am thinking $200 towards the Q .
Problem is I will start getting Q LBA instead of K LBA (I WANT the zoom/fisheye/SLR magic.....)
Thankfully the lenses don't cost as much!
05-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
By the way is there a third party battery with MORE battery life than the original, I was looking at the Pearstone which is listed as 800mA
Pearstone D-Li68 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (3.7V, 800mAh) D-LI68

However the regular Pentax battery doesn't state its capacity.

Any one with a good third party battery let me know as I have one for my K7 which I go from Singapore which claims its lasts longer but I find it actually is less and it runs down faster in storage.

Down the line will probably get Pearstones twin charger and plates for my other batteries but for now just a cheap extra battery will do
05-18-2012, 01:17 AM   #15

I'm so close to buying one now, just can't find a retailer with one in stock local to me