Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 03:57 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like the bleech bypass also. But. B/W high contrast is my favorite.

05-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
pghwarrior 23, there are seperate firmware updates for the body and lenses. In the menu it will tell you the firmware number for each. The lenses have to be updated on the body. First ran into this with Olympus. My Oly extension tube had a firmware update. What could that possibly do?

Enjoy the Q. Never leave home without it.

thanks
barondla
05-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

links to updates:
Q:
Latest PENTAX Q Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
01 & 02:
Latest PENTAX Q Lenses Firmware Update : Software Downloads | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING

and use 1.9 - 4.0 after that diffraction kicks in, there is a lot of talk about it on all forums
05-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

computerised existence

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
First ran into this with Olympus. My Oly extension tube had a firmware update. What could that possibly do?

thanks
barondla
my Mac Mini Display Port - VGA adaptor needed recently firmware update, everything must has a chip inside nowadays

05-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I guess I will need to go back and see what it was that I downloaded and what I need to still install in the way of firmware for my Q. Thanks for the heads up.

Will also have to check out bleach bypass and think of what other functions I might use most often to make as quick dial presets. Maybe HDR as one even though I rarely shoot HDR.
05-15-2012, 06:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use high contrast also. Favorite settings are to go into B&W and set to minimum contrast and then turn on 1-3 steps of high contrast in digital filter. Learned this from Wouter Brandsma. His Q review blog is a treasure trove of knowledge.

Also like the reversal film setting on cloudy days.
thanks
barondla

Don't forget to enter photos in the compact camera forum contest. The Q is invited.
06-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #22

I think you'll like the Q. It engages creativity through easy and frequent exploration. Although the images won't be quite as nice as a dslr, I would equate them to many of the high quality fixed lens rangefinders of the 60s and 70s; that is high praise, really. I've used a few of the Olympus rc's and a konica auto s3, and the Q images come very close to those cameras unless you're talking slide film (and drum scans if you want to digitize the shots)... And I really used standard negative film in those cameras back when I used them. The Q matches that quality, I think.

My suggestions are to:
1. Turn off image review
2. Cap auto ISO at 800 (I find quality quite good through 800 where it quickly takes a nose dive; 1000 and even 1250 in a pinch but 1600 is too far)
3. Turn down NR as far as it will go
4. Turn on raw+Jpeg
5. Set high correction for awb indoors
6. Set quick dial to 4 of your preferred smart image settings and tweak each setting to your liking

I like the smart image filters better than the others because they apply to raw images. This gives me the ability to shoot "film types" at will but tweak later (I do it in camera) if I didn't choose wisely. This is made even easier by the q's ability to edit multiple raws at once..!

My preferred monochrome sooc settings are smart image orange filter, +2 or 3 contrast, +1 fine sharpness. Great tonality in the midtones and nice tight grain.

Have fun!