Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What's your support for your Q?

Well other than your hands

My Gitzo just seems like overkill so i went to the store to pick up a Manfrotto "compact" kit but they didn't have any and me going to buy something never leave without buying something so i walked out with this

It should be good unless a tornado or hurricane suddenly starts up, i know gusts over 60kph will probably have it keeling and naturally my brain will see everything in slomo

BUT it's now my Q's tripod/monopod/support

M-Y Mini 4-Section Tripod With Ball Head 7322YB - M-Y | Manfrotto

Last edited by Clicker; 05-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.
05-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Clicker,

I use a set of Fotopro MGC 584N legs (pretty much the same as then CF Benro Travel Angel Transfunctional) -- a very stable lightweight (2.5 lb) compact (@ 16.75" folded with the head!), CF tripod with just about all the features I look for (non rotating legs, three leg angles, short or long center column, weight hook, 180 folding legs, 8 layer CF, 1/4 turn leg locks), and with about a 17 lb capacity. I added a Vanguard ABH 120K Ballhead (12 oz/44 lb capacity), Arca compatible with elliptical ball and separate tension/lock/pan adjustments. All together, @ 3.3 lbs, $265, an outrageous value IMO.

This is a very satisfying support system for anything I mount on the Q, and even supports my K-5/FA*300/2.8 on the Wimberley Sidekick surprisingly well. It's not the lightest, but I wanted something that I could use with all of my gear but at less than 3.5 lbs total.

The legs were something of a fluke. I was ordering some Marumi diopters from OEC Camera and noticed that they had one of these left. I found some information on a couple of Chinese sites, and decided to take a chance. . . I haven't seen this model offered by anyone else since getting it, do I probably got the only one available in the US at the time. . . too bad -- it's a very good set of legs. The quality is considerably higher than I could have hoped for -- a steal at $165.

I'd played with the Vanguard ball head in a local store, and thought it a pretty good value at $170, but then saw them on special from Adorama at $99.95, so I couldn't resist. . .

This combo is about 1/2 the weight of my big gear setup, and is almost as stable. If I want to go lighter in weight, I can switch the head to my Velbon Ultra Max i and cut 1/2 a lb, but it's not as tall and not nearly as stable, so what's the sense? This is probably about as close to as good as it gets for my purposes.

Scott
05-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have other supports, i just wanted one that matched this setup which isn't going past a 50+PK/Q adapter...still looking for a "perfect" bag.

05-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

looks like a nice tripod mate

05-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Forum Member

Gorillapod

I like the Gorillapod by Joby for the Q.
Attached Images