Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wanting a K01

Shooting with the Q is tons of fun but I do miss the IQ of my k5 so Iv been thinking maybe the K01 would be a good mix of the two. Smaller than K5 better IQ than the Q
I did go and look at the K01 it is much nicer to look at in person but I don't care for the cheep rubber doors and its not WR (not that the Q is)
So am I just nuts wanting yet another camera or is there other Q owners that are thinking the same thing?

And once again sorry Mark Newton for saying what I did at first. Im really thinking about buying one its much better looking in person.

05-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I just picked up a k-01 should be here next week, I bought a bag and what not for the Q, but figured that defeated the whole purpose so I bought a k-01 for when I feel like lugging stuff around (digital wise, I only own film cameras besides the Q) and will keep my Q as my go to cam when I do not want any bags on me, which is 90% of the time in my life...
05-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
A Pentax K-01 is much better in person; once it's in your hands for a while it's about the same as going into a vehicle dealership - once you take the test drive you're quite likely to drive away with it..

If only Pentax could get a few test models out there to a few events - so that people could test it out a bit.
09-20-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

I love mine. It has limitations, but if you have a K-5 you will use that in most situations where the K-01 is weak and vice versa.

09-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
go for K-30

QuoteOriginally posted by northislander Quote
Shooting with the Q is tons of fun but I do miss the IQ of my k5 so Iv been thinking maybe the K01 would be a good mix of the two. Smaller than K5 better IQ than the Q
I did go and look at the K01 it is much nicer to look at in person but I don't care for the cheep rubber doors and its not WR (not that the Q is)
So am I just nuts wanting yet another camera or is there other Q owners that are thinking the same thing?

And once again sorry Mark Newton for saying what I did at first. Im really thinking about buying one its much better looking in person.
I am the Q owner and enjoy it very much but , for me, anything bigger would need to have a view finder, K-30 has it all.
The Q + K-5 + K-30 = the perfect team ( for me)
there is a lot of talk about this everywhere
09-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K01 is the right concept for a mirrorless full sized camera for me -- little bodies with big lenses where you are forced to buy a new system of lenses or adapters to use them makes little sense to me. .. If and when they bring out a stepped up model -- essentially a Nex 7 level camera in a K0X series body with state-of-the- art EVF and articulated back display, then I'd be interested. The K01 in present guise isn't really enough.for me. I bought a Q to expand my capabilities and provide a compact everyday carry camera. A mirrorless APS-C must give me some advantage in shooting to be useful for me. My body is aging, and I can see that a mirrorless design will be in my future to give me flexibility in shooting positions that my body is progressively preventing me from accessing. The K01 is a start, but it's not there yet. . . As is, it really doesn't do anything that I can't do with my present DSLR gear.

Scott
10-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think your right.

Snostrom I think your right.

I so love shooting with my Q but then I look at the IQ I get from my K5 and it makes the Q seem not so great. I would love to have a K01 as its a good blend of the two, but like you say Snostrom the K01 seems like its just not worth spending the money on right now maybe the next one.
10-06-2012, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Funny, this seems to be a classic case of "too each his (or her) own"

I would much prefer the Q just because it seems different enough that I could justify it. The sensor is different, you _can_ use a different set of lenses if you so choose, and to me, it is better looking.

Now, I can certainly understand someone wanting to use a K-01, but I guess what I'm saying is, for me, I'd rather have a Q and a Q-K converter.

10-07-2012, 07:40 PM   #9

With the current fire sale on k01's, I couldn't resist. It's a great camera, and a smashing bargain at around $500. I paid that for the Q. The K01 is better... And equally fun to shoot with. But bigger, of course.
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
With the current fire sale on k01's, I couldn't resist. It's a great camera, and a smashing bargain at around $500. I paid that for the Q. The K01 is better... And equally fun to shoot with. But bigger, of course.
Sure, but now the Q10 is out, if a K0110 came out (Ok, yes, I know they wouldn't call it that), the perhaps the K01 would be even cheaper yet! Perhaps around $350 like the Q is now.