Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2012, 06:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Someone build a macro extension tube - please.

Should be easy for a 3rd party to do. No optics required. Just build in electrical contacts to transfer the info from prime or zoom. Don't even have to know what the info is or how it works - just transfer it. Would allow the Q to do so much more. Shouldn't cost a lot more than a lens adapter. Bet it wouls sell like crazy.
thanks
barondla

05-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One way to do this is get an old 2x tele-converter with contacts and strip out the glass. Works just fine. Watch for deals on ones with scratches or fungus and you can get them cheap.
05-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think jatrax knows what forum he posts in.

I'm looking for something to do macro with a Q-mount lens, I don't like the results from "macro filters". It's such a simple thing to make for the Q, no bothering with mechanical aperture or anything - just somes tubes and wire.
05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I don't think jatrax knows what forum he posts in.
Note to self: do not post on forums before having coffee............

OK, I know nothing about the Q. Just checked on ebay and they have M42 to Q adapters. So get a Macro-takumar 50mm, 1:1 magnification and you are good to go. Or get extension tubes and any M42 lens of your choice. M42 tubes are dirt cheap and so are M42 lenses unless you want something in demand.

And macro (IMHO) does not benefit from auto focus anyway so a good Takumar with a manual focus helicoid will be better than trying to manual focus an AF lens.

05-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jatrax, what you say about macro is correct. The Q does throw in a few curves. The premium Q lenses have a leaf shutter in them. When you go to adapted lenses there is no leaf shutter. The Q compensates by using its body mounted electronic shutter. Problem is the flash sync speed falls to a top 1/13. To slow for any handheld bug chasing. External flash units also won't fire with adapted lenses. The other problem the Q has concerns manual focal length input for image stabilization. You can't manually input the focal length. Unlike Pentax DSLRs the Q doesn't allow image stabilizaion with adapted lenses- yet.

The image stabilization and external flash with adapted lenses can likely be fixed with firmware. The slow flash sync is a limitation of electronic shutters. This is why a macro lens or extension tube would be so useful.

The Q is a new system so it will take a little time to plug every hole. I am sure they are working on it. Get yourself a Q and join in on the fun.
thanks
barondla
05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The premium Q lenses have a leaf shutter in them.
Yeah, that would be a problem, I did not know it used a leaf shutter.
Problem is the flash sync speed falls to a top 1/13
1/13 sec? What's the point of having it at that speed?
Get yourself a Q and join in on the fun.
It must be fun (and frustrating) starting at the ground floor with a new system. But I am heavily invested in the k-5 right now so I don't think another system is in the works.

One other idea, do the lenses have filter threads? If so, could you reverse mount another lens?

If that doesn't work, then I give up and officially vote for somebody to make an extension tube for the Q. Of course even after 35 years AFAIK nobody makes an extension tube for k mount with contacts either, so it may take awhile. Which is why we use old teleconverters.......
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually have a Kenko Uniplus 25 extension tube with full electrical contacts and AF! Even Pentax never built one. It lives on my Pentax 200 macro. Wish I had bought a couple more before it was discontinued.

Tried reversing an enlarging lens on the front of the Q 5-15 zoom. Amazing macro magnification - but same problem I always have reversing lenses on any format. It vignettes badly without adding an extension tube.

Understand being invested in K5 heavily. Q would add to that system. It is a great digital teleconverter. Most Q owners on the forum also own a K10/20 or K5/7. They compliment each other well.
thanks
barondla