Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First Outing with the New Q

Well, it's new to me, anyway, bought second-hand from a gent in New South Wales, who was having trouble using it with arthritic hands. It came as a kit with 01 and 02 lenses, both fitted with Kenko filters, plus a Pentax remote. This is with the 01 lens (the 8.5mm, I'm sure you know by now), originally RAW, but converted to JPEG in CS5 Camera RAW. A chilly day on the Hobart waterfront, but an impressive result from the camera, I'd say.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
05-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice picture!
OK, so that was you, congratulations!
You possibly now could answer my question about Fn button on your IR remote:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/184543-o-rc1-water-proof-remote-control.html
I have the exactly same kit and I love it, took well over 3000 photos in last 6 weeks.
I have IR F remote with just one button ( came with KX), O-RC1 costs over $60 just wonder if can provide any extra functionality?
kind regards
jack
05-12-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Good question. The manual (folded sheet of paper in 10 languages) doesn't help much, except to say that this and the "1-tree/3-tree" button (which presumably operates Power Zoom on suitable models) "operations are available for selected models only". The PZ button on the remote seems to provide a first-pressure focus operation, but the Fn button does not appear to do anything on the Q, but there isn't a Fn button on the Q, so I must see if it operates that function on the K20D or the K-5.

I must also see if the PZ button works on my FA*80-200!
05-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
nice picture!
Thanks, by the way, Jack.

I have the exactly same kit and I love it, took well over 3000 photos in last 6 weeks.
I seem to recall you were headed overseas (Europe, was it?), and I'm doing the same in 2 weeks. This could be déjà vue, although I'm taking my K-5 and primes, but the Q will get some work, too.

Rob

05-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yes Rob,
I just came back from Europe, it was Family members passing away gathering, not really a holiday, but anyway, I just took the Q ( with 01+02) with me and never really regret it.
I did miss my Sigma 10-20 and 17-70 on some occasions but I did not really miss my KX or K7 or K5.
The Q is very capable and low visibility camera, perfect for all Family informal indoors gatherings, it is like using a mobile phone , no one pays any attention to it, great in low indoor light.
That will also apply to use the Q inside the churches , museums , libraries and other places where usually cameras are not allowed.
kind regards
and have a great enjoyable time in old Europe!
jack
05-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Q is very capable and low visibility camera, perfect for all Family informal indoors gatherings, it is like using a mobile phone , no one pays any attention to it, great in low indoor light.
I'm finding that, even in the short time I've had the camera. Some years ago, when I used to travel fairly regularly to Europe, I would take my K2DMD in my luggage, but also a little Minox 35AL. Most of the time, the Minox would go into my pocket and the K2 would stay in the hotel room. The Q, of course, has a smaller silhouette than the Minox, even though the lens protrudes more (a pancake prime 35mm equivalent would be a great addition to the Q lens range), but I think I'll still be using the K-5 this time (the other trips were part business, part holiday).

and have a great enjoyable time in old Europe!
jack
Thanks, Jack. I'll do my best.
Rob
05-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RobA Oz, good job with the Q! Sharp looking image. Enjoy it on the trip.
thanks
barondla

05-12-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
RobA Oz, good job with the Q! Sharp looking image. Enjoy it on the trip.
thanks
barondla
Thanks for the kind comment and well-wishing, barondla. The more I use this little beast, the more affection I have for it. The colours are particularly good and the 01 lens is a cracker!
Rob