Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Just wanted to get in on this
Looks cool all white
Hope you beefed up those screws on that adapter tripod mount, I would be concerned whether the little guys can handle the stress.

01-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
I've sent mail's to Swedish stores but the Pentax red dots you guys use seem to be impossible to get here. Though I got one mail back for a similar product from Konus. What do you guys think? Konus Pro Optical & Sports Systems
Sadly I get to pay about the double or more of the American Pentax Red Dot sight, but what to do about it?
Sorry I don't know anything about those, as the only one I have tried is the Pentax. Seems like overkill to have all the different reticle patterns and colors but maybe they help?
Can you get stuff from Hong Kong, perhaps just try a cheap one from to see how it might work out?
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Looks cool all white
Hope you beefed up those screws on that adapter tripod mount, I would be concerned whether the little guys can handle the stress.
I agree. That is the F* version that has the integrated tripod foot - wonder why he isn't using that. I have the FA* that doesn't not have the integrated foot and would kill/die for it and would certainly be using it if I could!
01-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I agree. That is the F* version that has the integrated tripod foot - wonder why he isn't using that. I have the FA* that doesn't not have the integrated foot and would kill/die for it and would certainly be using it if I could!

Looks cool all white

I don't have the factory mount, just a canon knockoff that works just fine. I was using the adapter mount just to take a picture, but I will say, that Fotodiox adapter is really well made. It's pretty thick aluminum.

I plan on making a stock with a wireless trigger for it too so I can take it out birding.

01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but I will say, that Fotodiox adapter is really well made. It's pretty thick aluminum.
It is but there are tiny screws holding the foot to the adapter body, and they are barely screwed in. Proceed with caution.
01-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #141
Veteran Member

I don't have the factory mount, just a canon knockoff that works just fine. I was using the adapter mount just to take a picture, but I will say, that Fotodiox adapter is really well made. It's pretty thick aluminum.

I plan on making a stock with a wireless trigger for it too so I can take it out birding.
Ok - I feel better now. I've seriously looked at the F* and DA* to replace my FA* just for the fact of having the integrated tripod mount.

Your setup is just beautiful - thanks for sharing the pic!
01-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #142
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With the import restrictions to Australia, I think I'll have to go for this Bushnell. I have an Xtend-a-Sight on the way from Photosolve. What do you gun-wise Americans think of its specifications, and whether it should fit the Xtend-a-Sight?

01-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photosolve Quote
I want you all to be successful, so please, contact me, and let me know your issues, and I will work with you to get it right.
Phil, thanks for your great product, and for checking in on our discussion. I'm a recent customer and am very pleased with my Xtend-a-Sight. With the Pentax RD10 the aim was low, more than I could correct using the sight's built-in adjustment, but I came up with a simple fix using a strip of velcro, around the sight's mount and the Xtend-a-Sight rail, so that it rests on the K->Q adapter:

Name:  _IGP1534.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  81.3 KB

I'll probably come up with something a little more stable at some point, but this is working well enough.
01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just got my Pentax scope...and after some fiddling with it, I realized that

1) From the factory, they didn't orient the same clamp profiles to face the same way at the same time - I had to change them so they matched before clamping.
2) Attaching to the TOP dovetail of the Xtenda-sight Plus gives the most parallel and stable mount provided you use the correct clamp profile.

01-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Phil, thanks for your great product, and for checking in on our discussion. I'm a recent customer and am very pleased with my Xtend-a-Sight. With the Pentax RD10 the aim was low, more than I could correct using the sight's built-in adjustment, but I came up with a simple fix using a strip of velcro, around the sight's mount and the Xtend-a-Sight rail, so that it rests on the K->Q adapter:

Attachment 155504

I'll probably come up with something a little more stable at some point, but this is working well enough.
Take a look at my recent post. It looks like you have the clamps mounted wrong.

01-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Take a look at my recent post. It looks like you have the clamps mounted wrong.
Your way is better, thanks! However, I need the same adjustment.
01-15-2013, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #147
Inactive Account

Xtend-a-Sight Plus modifications...

OK, it's clear that there are a number of different applications shown here...

Scott, with regard to raising the height of the Xtend-a-Sight foot 1/2 inch or so...I have to tell you that I understand the frustration, but I've been chastised for it being too tall for a couple of customers...Nothing's ever perfect. I think that you could do with a hot shoe PC adapter...literally a 1/2 to 1 inch extension. The real purpose of it is to add a standard PC cable connector to the hot shoe when you have one of the older type of flashes. Here's one source (Vello at B&H).

Vello Universal Hot Shoe Adapter - PC Connection + Top HSA-PSU

The one downside is that there MAY end up being a little side to side movement, as it's really for a flash attachment, and (remember) a little slop is not a big deal for that application. Note: The ebay PC adapter unit is plastic-heavy, so be a bit cautious...For $1, you get what you pay for there...any weight or movement could crack out the sides and you might have a tumble.

Lauren, it sure looks like you've mounted a 7/8 (some call it 5/8) weaver mount to the 3/8 portion of the Xtend-a-Sight (really designed for the smaller Daisy mount Red Dot Sight). I'd be a bit concerned about how well it connects as the profile of the 3/8 portion is really quite different. Now it DOES look like the top and bottom attachment rails have a different profile so that may be the key. The way the brackets are oriented could be completely rotated top to bottom, and it'll fit the bottom rail. As I've not seen the Pentax I'm going to have to ask for a profile shot from the side to see if there are drop in connecting rods that normally fit across weaver mounts. If you can drop the entire unit down to the lower (wider 7/8 inch) rail, I'd do it.

For Sandy, I cannot tell if those mounts are for Weaver mounting or not and their marketing department looks like they want to keep it a secret! Looks interesting, and will likely work...it's a bit expensive!

And hats off to the velcro solution. Shims are like moulding...they cover up a wide variety of sins. It is odd, however, that the alignment is that far off. Have you taken a look at your hot shoe to make sure it's completely horizontal? As an alternative, a small shim in the front of the shoe might work as well.

Finally, for those of you really on the bleeding edge of things,
Leupold DeltaPoint Reflex Sight Matte 3.5 MOA Dot FREE S&H 66135, 67435. Leupold Red Dot Sights.
it's IR for cameras using a sight mounted to the Xtend-a-Sight...Pricey, but rather effective for very dark photos...No, I haven't bought one yet. ;-) Maybe after I finish my next audio book.

Best,
Phil Williams
photosolve
01-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #148
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photosolve Quote
For Sandy, I cannot tell if those mounts are for Weaver mounting or not and their marketing department looks like they want to keep it a secret! Looks interesting, and will likely work...it's a bit expensive!
Thanks Phil. Unfortunately the options here are much more limited. Bushnell have some more optioned-up red spot scopes, but they are twice the price of this one....
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks Phil. Unfortunately the options here are much more limited. Bushnell have some more optioned-up red spot scopes, but they are twice the price of this one....
You could always try your luck with an ebay version 1X30 MOA Illuminated Red Dot laser Sight Scope for/Pistol/Gun Telescopic Sight | eBay
01-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah. I just ordered the Bushnell.
I'll let you all know how it goes.