Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #46
New Member




Join Date: May 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14
Pentax Q Telefoto Images

Hi folks,

here is an image close range with the q da 300 combination.

Distance about 3 yards but very difficult to focus with these nerveous insects


IMGP1577_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

and here is a short testvido:

dragonflyq201207 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Have fun

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo   
07-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Beautiful work.
07-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #48
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Beautiful work.
Sorry (and sorry AAA, please believe me when I say I am not having a pop at you, it's not at all personal - you've put up some excellent work so far) but that really isn't beautiful at all. The DA*300 absolutely blows that away on a K5 and the DA*300 - which is an exceptional pseudo-macro lens and a stunning piece of glass - can do so so so much better. I'm not sure what went wrong there but I'm sure it's not even representative of what the Q can do with one of it's own prime lenses and then cropping.

Here's the DA*300 as a pseudo-macro on Odonata : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/176694-macro-dragonflies...and-china.html

It's no good saying - but yes it's on a Q not a K5. Because to stand comparison, or have any validity, it must be producing shots that exceed people's expectations, even if not matching those on a K5 - and AAA and Baronla have shown that's possible.

My own experiences with the Q and the DA*300 in the field (just back from 4 days birding) did not pan out anywhere near as good as AAA's or Baronla's work. It is a difficult combination to use without a lot more than just adequate support and even at f1.4 - f2 and a very fast shutter speed (using a Zeiss 85/1.4 - fantastic glass), it was still very difficult to nail focus (the kind of hit rate that is unacceptable when birding) and the combo didn't make it into the bag past Day 2. I'm going to have to work hard to get to the level shown so far in this thread, and find out how to get the best from the Q because the potential is there, but the biggest problem is that birds rarely give you that sort of time - and the lack of CIF or Focus Peaking is, I've found, a major negative when birding.

Last edited by Frogfish; 07-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.
07-08-2012, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #49
New Member




Join Date: May 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14
Pentax Q close ups

Hi Frogfish

the images were not ment to demonstrate my best macro shots.I just wanted to demontrate that you can get pretty good results, even video, from a distance of 3 meters and more using this combination.
I made plenty of similar shots with the K5 DA 300 combination. In general they are better when shooting from 1.5 meters. But from 3 and more the dragonflys are simply to small.

It is very obvious, if you can get close, the K5 DA 300 is the best to get a great picture.
The Q DA300 combination comes into play if there is no way to come close e.g. moon shots

By the way, the best macro shots are still made with a 100 macro and not with the DA 300.
have a look at this one:
IMGP3413_modflick | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
This would never be possible with the Q !

The Q DA 300 combination is not useful for little critters. However, it is great to shoot herons and other birds which (at least somtimes) stand still. Then it is up to you how fast you get your gear ready to shoot.

So the fun with the Q DA 300 is to make photos which are not possible otherwise. I'm still looking for that type of scenes objects etc.
So it opens up an new class of long range opportunities or macro (where I need to get more training with the Q).
However, you need to take your time and raise your frustation level.

Have fun and be patient !

07-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #50
Pentaxian
Dr Orloff's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton, England
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 498
QuoteOriginally posted by AldAsAck Quote
So the fun with the Q DA 300 is to make photos which are not possible otherwise.
Very good point. I think your Moon photo with the Q is a stunning example of how to get the best from the small sensor. Actually I'm completely blown away by the quality of that shot. That surely also bodes well for high magnification macro work. Look forward to more examples.
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #51
New Member




Join Date: May 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14
Birding and Turteling with Pentax Q and Sigma APO 70-300

Hi folks,

attached some images taken with the Pentax Q and Sigma 70-300 APO combination.

Image Quality is OK up to 250 mm

Image is soft at 300 (much worse than with DA* 300) and need sharpening

Distance to Heron / Turtles = about 100 Meter/Yards !!!

Have fun guys
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #52
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
Heh, anyone want to mount up a Tamron or Tokina 500mm mirror lens and see how that works for a moon shot?

Charles.
08-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Heh, anyone want to mount up a Tamron or Tokina 500mm mirror lens and see how that works for a moon shot?

Charles.
My Q and adapter should arrive tomorrow. I will be happy to try my Sigma 500/4.5 and ProOptic 800/8 (mirror) on a moon shot or two for posting.

08-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #54
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
Awesome! That sigma sounds expeeeensive

Charles.
08-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #55
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually there are several of them, from manufacturers such as Kiwifotos, Novoflex and RJ and also from unknown Chinese manufacturers.
I think that what was asked for was adapters allowing also aperture control. AFAIK there are none, currently.

I have the Rayquall, and it works great (but, requires manually setting apeture).
08-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #56
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: midwest, United States
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,325
Original Poster
Imtheguy, can't wait to see your tele Q images. Think the 500 4.5 will be incredible. The mirror will likely fare less well because of its smaller aperture and mirrors tend to be less sharp. The mirror should have little or no ca so it may do better than expected. The Q shows no mercy with ca! When buying a new lens for the dslr cameras it will get tested on the Q for ca.

Tclausen, the RJ adapter( and probably others now) do have aperture adjustment rings that work manually with Pentax DA lenses lacking aperture rings. If you mean no adapter allows auto aperture you are correct.

The Q takes practice and some work to get good super tele images. Some of my Q shooting friends have struggled a little. Give it time and have patience. Ultra telephoto photography is difficult with a dslr too. The combination of high magnification, vibration, manual focusing, and even atmospheric quality must be dealt with. It can be dealt with and the Q then allows telephoto shots nearly impossible with any other half affordable/ portable system.

its a new world
have fun
barondla
08-16-2012, 02:50 AM   #57
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Tclausen, the RJ adapter( and probably others now) do have aperture adjustment rings that work manually with Pentax DA lenses lacking aperture rings. If you mean no adapter allows auto aperture you are correct.
That was exactly what i meant, yeah - no *auto* aperture. It's a little inconvenient, but one eventually manages to get used to it.

Come to think of it, I've never actually used a DA lens on the Rayquall, so far only FAltd and FA (50mm macro). I am not sure if an adjustment widget even exists on that adapter for aperture of DA lenses....
08-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Imtheguy, can't wait to see your tele Q images. Think the 500 4.5 will be incredible. The mirror will likely fare less well because of its smaller aperture and mirrors tend to be less sharp. The mirror should have little or no ca so it may do better than expected. The Q shows no mercy with ca! When buying a new lens for the dslr cameras it will get tested on the Q for ca.
have fun
barondla
Ask and ye shall receive. Although it was too short a day to get in the 800mm mirror shots, I have some comparisons for those (like me) that had no idea how well the Q would handle big glass. I did not go with a heavy setup, just my normal carbon tripod and the 2 sec timer. I forget to turn off SR so have no idea how it was handled when using the Q and adapter since it never asked for FL.

In keeping with the thread title, I must add that an RD400 Electro-Dot Sight came with the package but I felt comfortable zeroing in on subjets without it. However in keeping with my ability to make the setup look extra geeky I will mount the sight in the future.

Here is my first shot out of the box and mounted with the Sigma 500/4.5. Distance was 6m and aperture was f5.6. DOF seems like 5mm so I may have to use my neighbors feeders as mine are too close.

100% crop of a screw in the feeder to show the detail really is there in good light.



Since the screw is the size of a Finch's eye, why not try a Finch? DOF is too small but where it focused I was impressed. Uncropped at f5.6 from 6m.


Lets get some distance and maybe can fit the subject into a frame. There is a pipe that Egrets stand on during low tide that gives me a steady 37m distance to work with. Q with the da*300 this time. Still could not quite fit in the frame.



Here is the same da300 but with K-5 for comparison at same distance. No cropping or processing, just trying to show the basics.



....and here is the K-5 and 500mm from 35m out.



Next, I will try some side-by-side comparisons to see if the Q and 500mm can stand up to the K-5 and 500+1.4x teleconverter once I resize both to be equal. I just need a fluffy Egret that will hold a pose for 5 minutes or so. Ok, will try the 800/8 mirror but hold little hope for that other than massive magnification.....and yes, the Egret did catch dinner once I quit distracting it.

Last edited by imtheguy; 08-16-2012 at 10:58 PM.
08-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #59
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Ask and ye shall receive. Although it was too short a day to get in the 800mm mirror shots, I have some comparisons for those (like me) that had no idea how well the Q would handle big glass. I did not go with a heavy setup, just my normal carbon tripod and the 2 sec timer. I forget to turn off SR so have no idea how it was handled when using the Q and adapter since it never asked for FL.

In keeping with the thread title, I must add that an RD400 Electro-Dot Sight came with the package but I felt comfortable zeroing in on subjets without it. However in keeping with my ability to make the setup look extra geeky I will mount the sight in the future.

Here is my first shot out of the box and mounted with the Sigma 500/4.5. Distance was 6m and aperture was f5.6. DOF seems like 5mm so I may have to use my neighbors feeders as mine are too close.

100% crop of a screw in the feeder to show the detail really is there in good light.



Since the screw is the size of a Finch's eye, why not try a Finch? DOF is too small but where it focused I was impressed. Uncropped at f5.6 from 6m.


Lets get some distance and maybe can fit the subject into a frame. There is a pipe that Egrets stand on during low tide that gives me a steady 37m distance to work with. Q with the da*300 this time. Still could not quite fit in the frame.



Here is the same da300 but with K-5 for comparison at same distance. No cropping or processing, just trying to show the basics.



....and here is the K-5 and 500mm from 35m out.



Next, I will try some side-by-side comparisons to see if the Q and 500mm can stand up to the K-5 and 500+1.4x teleconverter once I resize both to be equal. I just need a fluffy Egret that will hold a pose for 5 minutes or so. Ok, will try the 800/8 mirror but hold little hope for that other than massive magnification.....and yes, the Egret did catch dinner once I quit distracting it.
A very nice first outing. The Q does not perform stabilization with adapted lenses from what I've heard the Q owners on this forum say.
08-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #60
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
Morovision EOLAD-2VI Laser Pointer/IR Pointer MVL-50025 B&H

Here's the next step; although jut a small bit pricier
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, caps, dot, finder, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q10, q7, tasco
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does my 55-300 have a focussing issue ? [img] photoleet Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 11-17-2011 12:23 AM
K5 and the focusing indicator the red dot nirVaan Pentax K-5 1 08-12-2011 08:30 PM
Red alignment dot came off SlickYamaha Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 08-02-2011 07:04 PM
Pentax K-R - Red Dot in Video marlonf Pentax K-r 15 11-12-2010 10:53 AM
Red and Blue dot in my picture? jeremy_c Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 11-17-2008 09:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top