Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Crew. Any particular reason to buy that model and not the HS20 Red Dot Sight Scope 89702 ?
I did not test any others but I thought I heard somewhere that since the RD10 requires your eye to be in a specific placement to look down the tube it is more accurate for cameras like the Q.

The HS20 style is fine on a rifle because your eye is always lined up in the same spot, but not so when looking at the back of a Q display. Since your head can shift position the dot is not a reliable indicator.

Makes sense, but like I said I did not try any other.

I believe there are others on this forum using that same open reticle style if not the HS20 itself. On a DSLR where you are looking up from a viewfinder the open reticle style may work fine also.

I think that key feature is called "parallax free".
From the literature:
"Pentax Gameseeker Red Dot Sights

The Pentax Gameseeker HS-20 Dot scope is the ideal size for most shooters with a dot size of 5 MOA. Combined with 11 brightness settings, this scope provides perfect lighting from dawn through dusk. The Pentax Gameseeker RD-10 Dot Sight is parallax-free and built to last. Whether used for turkey hunting or quick target acquisition with a pistol, the Pentax Gameseeker RD-10 Dot Sight offers a clear view of your target."

For me the RD10 worked great and it is only $10 more over here in the US.

01-07-2013, 10:38 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The two Pentax red dots are built differently. The 10 is a sealed tube with internal red led. The 20 is a pop up screen. The screens tend to be a little less money, and smaller. I tried friend's non- Pentax screen and never did get good at finding the bird. He used my red dot and bought one. The tube is also weather proof and rugged.

Crewl1, doubt you would have a tough time using red dot in Canada. Have friends who cross the border to hunt. Doubt they leave those red dots and scopes home. This is another advantage of having the red dot say Pentax- it matches the camera!
thanks
barondla
01-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
This is another advantage of having the red dot say Pentax- it matches the camera!
Ha Ha thats a great point
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #94
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Everyone knows a camera company wouldn't make a rifle scope for their camera! Right? It would make them think twice.
thanks
barondla

01-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Thank you Crew and Barondla for taking the time to explain. HS10 it is.
01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogfish Quote
thank you crew and barondla for taking the time to explain. Hs10 it is.
You mean RD 10
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Only to Canada .... they reckon you'll be able to shoot birds from across the border
That wouldn't surprise me!

Seriously ... what if I got one direct from B&H ? ... Anyway, I will email them and see what they say.

JP

Edit: just sent an email and will likely get an answer tomorrow.
This thread being so "busy" ... where is the post showing what else is needed to mount this RD10 on the Q and/or the K5 ??

Last edited by jpzk; 01-08-2013 at 06:38 PM.
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
where is the post showing what else is needed to mount this RD10 on the Q and/or the K5 ??
I bought the original version from Photosolve a number of years ago and used it on my dmcfz30 with a BSA RD30, fit fine on my Q.

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
As far as attaching red dot sight to the hot shoe, I see the xtenda sight Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-Sight at 27.00

01-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #99
Veteran Member

That wouldn't surprise me!

Seriously ... what if I got one direct from B&H ? ... Anyway, I will email them and see what they say.

JP

Edit: just sent an email and will likely get an answer tomorrow.
This thread being so "busy" ... where is the post showing what else is needed to mount this RD10 on the Q and/or the K5 ??
A couple more options in addition to the Extenda-sight

Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter FF19003. Firefield Riflescope Mounts, Rings & Bases.

Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter FF19003 B&H Photo Video

Oh I guess they are the same item.
01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #100
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anyone used the firefield Weaver to hotshoe adapter? Wonder if it fits better than Xtenda-site?
This thread sure does move fast these days. The Q is picking up steam.
thanks
barondla
01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flylow7f39 Quote
I bought the original version from Photosolve a number of years ago and used it on my dmcfz30 with a BSA RD30, fit fine on my Q.
Thanks a bunch guys!

So both extenders would do the job the same?

Ready to get the stuff, until I get the answer from B & H regarding the export restrictions on the RD10.
I guess all I need now is the famous "foot" to attach to the Q/K adapter.

Cheers!

JP
01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Thanks a bunch guys!

So both extenders would do the job the same?

Ready to get the stuff, until I get the answer from B & H regarding the export restrictions on the RD10.
I guess all I need now is the famous "foot" to attach to the Q/K adapter.

Cheers!

JP
Actually I'm hoping someone reports that the Firefield is a better fit on the hot shoe. The Xtenda sight has some play.

The foot is supposed to be available from the Pentax parts store, I plan to call them back this week to see if they are in stock.
Or, you could always get a DA*300 and pull it off that
01-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #103
Site Supporter

Actually I'm hoping someone reports that the Firefield is a better fit on the hot shoe. The Xtenda sight has some play.

The foot is supposed to be available from the Pentax parts store, I plan to call them back this week to see if they are in stock.
Or, you could always get a DA*300 and pull it off that
I'd better check here again later and see those reports!

As for the "foot" ... no way I am going to dismantle my DA*300/4 !

JP
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #104
Site Supporter

Original Poster
JPZK, it won't hurt the DA*300 to unclamp the foot. It is made to detach and fit the Pentax Q-PK adapter. Take the foot off my 300 a lot now.

Wish Pentax would bring out their own Weaver to hotshoe adapter. Then they would have the whole birding package to sell. Also would be nice if the Q10 came in camo! With 100 color options how hard could that be? Heard Japan is still wary of the military, does that extend to camo consumer goods?
thanks
barondla
01-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #105
Pentaxian

One more thing that should be mentioned in this thread is that there are sometimes 2 different dovetail widths for Red Dot Scopes, and one should make sure that they're getting the right one for the mount or there will be some frustration.

.22 rimfire rifles use a 3/8" dovetail and center fire rifles use a 7/8" dovetail. The Weaver looks to be a 7/8". The Photosolve will take either size. If the description says it will fit Weaver mounts or a picatinny rail, then it will fit the 7/8' Weaver.

There's usually no difference in the sight part (as far as functionality or durability goes) between a 3/8 variation and the 7/8 except for the clamp for this application since a camera doesn't recoil.

Scott