Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
JPZK, it won't hurt the DA*300 to unclamp the foot. It is made to detach and fit the Pentax Q-PK adapter. Take the foot off my 300 a lot now.

Wish Pentax would bring out their own Weaver to hotshoe adapter. Then they would have the whole birding package to sell. Also would be nice if the Q10 came in camo! With 100 color options how hard could that be? Heard Japan is still wary of the military, does that extend to camo consumer goods?
thanks
barondla
I took another look at the set up and you're right: no harm to be done there.
I just hate to fiddle with things which are working properly, and of course this wouldn't hurst the lens at all.

I am all for a "birding" kit that would be available for the Q/Q10, including the proper foot.

JP

01-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UPDATE from B & H:

Well, with all my luck, this here is an email I received this morning regarding shipping the RD10 to Canada:

"Hello Jacques, this is J--- :
Thank you for contacting me.
Due to certain restrictions, this item cannot be shipped outside the USA."

Then, there is another long part describing how to order it ???
(Quote) ... "You can call me now to place your order at (numbers)" ...
"I look forward to receiving your US shipping street address and contact phone number.
All the best,"

So it seems that there is no way to order that and be shipped to Canada. I even looked into Pentax Canada and this item is simply not there in their store online.

Looks like I'm out of luck for this.

JP
01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
There's usually no difference in the sight part (as far as functionality or durability goes) between a 3/8 variation and the 7/8 except for the clamp for this application since a camera doesn't recoil.
You've never fired a Pentax 6x7, have you?
01-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So it seems that there is no way to order that and be shipped to Canada. I even looked into Pentax Canada and this item is simply not there in their store online. Looks like I'm out of luck for this. JP
I've been wondering whether these look-a likes perform well enough - not the same quality I'm sure maybe they are fine to provide the functionality
1x30 Red Dot Rifle Scope Sight Red and Green Light 1/4 MOA Dual-use Mounts | eBay

01-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just ordered the X-tenda sight and the Pentax red dot scope. With a long lens this is manditory with the Q. Thank for pioneering this combo barondla!
01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I've been wondering whether these look-a likes perform well enough - not the same quality I'm sure maybe they are fine to provide the functionality
1x30 Red Dot Rifle Scope Sight Red and Green Light 1/4 MOA Dual-use Mounts | eBay
Looks interesting and they would likely have no problem shipping to Canada.

However, reading the reviews of the RD10 here, I would certainly prefer it over this one.

I wonder if I ordered it via someone in the USA ... would that still cause a problem?

JP

Edit: I did find a place where they have it available to Canada for the surprising price of ... $120.00 !!!
Here: http://www.shoptoit.ca/brand-pentax-imaging-company/riflescope-gameseeker-rd10/33417201/
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So what is the real law in Canada? If one company can legally ship you a red dot anyone should be able to- if they want. Have you tried any other US companies? Pentax US also sells to hunting/shooting stores ( red dots are in their sporting division price list), try a few of them. Firearm dealers dealers will have a better idea of what can be shipped to other countries. They deal with these laws all the time.
good luck
barondla

01-09-2013, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So what is the real law in Canada? If one company can legally ship you a red dot anyone should be able to- if they want. Have you tried any other US companies? Pentax US also sells to hunting/shooting stores ( red dots are in their sporting division price list), try a few of them. Firearm dealers dealers will have a better idea of what can be shipped to other countries. They deal with these laws all the time.
good luck
barondla
I suppose the USA-Canada "free trade agreement" has been updated since Homeland Security came into force ?? Anyway, I have no idea why this is such a pain to get a "Pentax" branded item that is available everywhere on the planet except here.
We must be some tough people or something like that!?
This one outfit I mentioned in the earlier post (selling this item for an astonishing $120.00) ... I didn't even bother to pursue the matter about shipping here ... shipping costs ... etc . Not interested to pay twice the amount.

And yes, I did try some other US online sellers carrying the Pentax RD10 ... again ( and I am not kidding): "Item cannot be shipped to Canada".

Now this is very interesting:

You can find all sorts of RedDot's sighters out there, available in different brands but not Pentax (in Canada).
I checked at online stores where they sell to hunters (firearms, crossbows, ...): they all have some brand(s) of RedDot's, but no Pentax.
I even checked, get this, where they sell paintball "fight" supplies: RedDots galore ... no Pentax.

So, I went to a "little store" down the road here where they sell sporting equipment of all kinds, especially for hunting/fishing: again, some brands of RedDot's available ... "never heard of Pentax" they say !! (well, I am not really surprised).

I still want to get the Pentax brand (the RD10), so while discussing this with a friend of ours, she mentioned that her brother in law has an address in the USA, not very far from here actually ... and you know the rest of the story.

I will find out early next week ... empty-ended story ,,,

JP
01-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Amazing story jpzk.You are showing remarkable determination. Apparently Pentax has no sports optic representation in Canada. Have no idea wh the US can't ship you red dots. Some one is supplying all the others to your country. Weird.

You may have the only RD 10 in Canada. That would be pretty special. Guess you had no problem obtaining the Weaver to hotshoe adapter? Enjoy the Q.
thanks
barondla
01-10-2013, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

Amazing story jpzk.You are showing remarkable determination. Apparently Pentax has no sports optic representation in Canada. Have no idea wh the US can't ship you red dots. Some one is supplying all the others to your country. Weird.
Red-dot sights from the US are classified as "export controlled" in the same category as modern night-vision equipment. See this quote from the US Gov:

"Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce." (FAQ here)

What that means is that it is really difficult (filing forms, etc.) for a US retailer to sell this equipment outside of the US, so they generally just don't bother. However, Pentax Canada could follow all the Canadian laws to bring it in and sell it (just like Tasco, AIMpoint, etc.) but apparently they don't do that. Most Canadians just go with another brand...

Last edited by panoguy; 01-10-2013 at 07:49 AM.
01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may have the only RD 10 in Canada. That would be pretty special. Guess you had no problem obtaining the Weaver to hotshoe adapter? Enjoy the Q.
thanks
barondla
Barondla.

Yes I am quite determined to get this RD10 ... actually it has pretty much become a matter of "principles" now; I told myself that if this is available everywhere but here in Canada, there must be a way to get one anyway!

As for the weaver-to-hotshoe (I assume you are talking about the "extend a sight" from Photosolve), no problem to get it from the fellow who sells them: he ships to Canada all the time (I emailed to him yesterday):
Oh, and he says to say "Thank you" to those who referred me to his store.

Hopefully, my attempt at getting the RD10 will prove successful. As I said, we'll know more next week.

Cheers!

JP
01-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Red-dot sights from the US are classified as "export controlled" in the same category as modern night-vision equipment. See this quote from the US Gov:

"Export of night vision equipment and optical sighting equipment is controlled by the U.S. Department of State Office of Defense Trade Controls, in accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR), Title 22, Code of Federal Regulations Part 120-130 and/or the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) U.S. Department of Commerce." (FAQ here)

What that means is that it is really difficult (filing forms, etc.) for a US retailer to sell this equipment outside of the US, so they generally just don't bother. However, Pentax Canada could follow all the Canadian laws to bring it in and sell it (just like Tasco, AIMpoint, etc.) but apparently they don't do that. Most Canadians just go with another brand...
Well, how about that!

The way I see it is: Pentax is too darn lazy.

I checked the "other brands", online and at a store here in town: some look "OK" but I will see what happens with the Pentax brand first.
If that fails, I'll probably end up just waiting for some opportunity or just get one of the other brand(s).

JP
01-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could also try this. Seems like it should work...

Celestron Star Pointer Finderscope 51630 B&H Photo Video
01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does Pentax sell any of their sport optics in Canada? In the US we have rifle scopes, binoculars, telescope eyepieces, and of course red dot scopes. All of this is on a seperate dealer price list from the photo equipment.

Might understand limiting the night vision stuff to certain countries. But the red dots are on our kids BB guns.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-10-2013 at 08:28 PM.
01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I just ordered the X-tenda sight and the Pentax red dot scope. With a long lens this is manditory with the Q. Thank for pioneering this combo barondla!
I'm getting kind of lost here looking back through the thread for these specific items. It seems you've filtered everything out and found the best to use on our Q's. Would you mind listing or linking the exact items you ordered? I want to get this setup on its way along with an LCD viewfinder so I am ready to shoot when the weather breaks (3 more months yet!!).