Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 07:29 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax red dot finder on Q with DA*300- img.

Got the Pentax red dot in to replace the Tasco. Like the Pentax better. It is sealed, has "stretchy string" connected lens caps that have clear openings. The finder can be usd with the caps on. This saves a lot of time on a grab shot. Also like the intensity settings can be seen from behind the camera vs the side. The Pentax also has full length rails that fit my hotshoe adapter much better than the Tasco. Only down side is the Pentax is a little bigger (1/2-3/4 inch longer). Not a big deal. Hope the weather and eagles cooperate tomorrow!
thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
05-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is quite a setup. Do you find the images are better with the Q than heavily cropped off an APSC camera?
05-12-2012, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kenafein, it isn't even close. Crop my K-7 to match the fov of the Q and you end up with 2-3mp. I have 13x19 printed from the Q and they look really good. Not quite what you could do with a K camera and high quality lens but close. And where do you get a high quality ~1600mm lens for a K cam? If it is available it will cost a freakin mint. Q makes a perfect companion to a K cam. Can't imagine anyone in wildlife photography not owning one. It costs about the same as some of the canikon teleconverters now.
thanks
barondla
05-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey. That looks ridiculous (as in amazing). Do you have some shots posted around the forum taken with that setup? Also, have you used the 55-300 on the q?

05-13-2012, 05:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 55-300 is well too slow, the diffraction would kill IQ
05-13-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fascinating setup. Where did you get the hotshoe adapter and rails? I've been looking for those.
05-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Banned

Looks great, never heard of the hotshoe thing.

05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
dmort, look in this forum for a thread about reach of the Q. It shows #01 prime image vs DA*300 of eagle in nest.

Had a cobbled together hotshoe rail adapter. New adapter shown in this pic is from photosolve. com. Snostorm told me about their product. It is a hotshoe/ rail adapter in one. They say all hotshoes are different sizes and their part is over sized to allow sanding down for a tight fit. Well it didn't work that way. The virgin foot is still smaller than the Pentax shoe. Wish it fit shoe a little tighter but I will live with it ( probably modify it later).

Haven't tried the DA55-300 ( nor 50-200 yet). The Q loses sharpness to diffraction after f4 to 4.5. Have heard people get decent results with 50-200. You don't have to zoom all the way up on either lens. May pit my DA55-300 against the DA*300 to see how it holds up.

With the Q it is a new day in ultra long range wildlife photography.
thanks
barondla
05-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Tough shooting today. Eagles weren't visible in nest during morning ( best time to shoot with sun over back). Windy in the afternoon, and was shooting more into sun.

Pentax red dot finder works great! Tasco demoted to back up.

Pentax Q, Pentax DA*300 at f4. ISO 125 1/400. Bogen tripod.

thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
Hey. Also, have you used the 55-300 on the q?
Hi dmort,

I posted some examples with the DA 55-300 quite a while ago.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/166566-q-da55-300-da-18-25...ml#post1724579

Note that these were taken as jpgs with in-camera sharpening set to -4, which is my default setup. I also posted an f8 shot that was sharpened in PP as well as a handheld example with the DA 18-250 at f6.3 plus the same shot sharpened in PP.

IMO, both of these lenses are very usable on the Q, but you need good light so you can use one of the lower ISO settings. Some PP is probably going to be preferable, but the results are not hopelessly soft, at least IMO.

I carry the DA 55-300 as my Super Tele in my lightweight Q kit, but prefer to use either my FA* 300.4.5 or Canon FD 300/4 L if I'm going to be carrying a heavier kit.

Scott
05-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Kenafein, it isn't even close. Crop my K-7 to match the fov of the Q and you end up with 2-3mp. I have 13x19 printed from the Q and they look really good. Not quite what you could do with a K camera and high quality lens but close. And where do you get a high quality ~1600mm lens for a K cam? If it is available it will cost a freakin mint. Q makes a perfect companion to a K cam. Can't imagine anyone in wildlife photography not owning one. It costs about the same as some of the canikon teleconverters now.
thanks
barondla
A coworker is going to Africa, and he doesn't want to spend a lot. I am wondering how the Q might work if he went with that and a 135mm/3.5 tak I could let him borrow. I may let him borrow the DA 55-300. Which adapter are you using for aperture control? Any other tips?

Does the camera have focus assist like the NEX or k-01?

Last edited by kenafein; 05-14-2012 at 09:59 PM.
05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
A coworker is going to Africa, and he doesn't want to spend a lot. I am wondering how the Q might work if he went with that and a 135mm/3.5 tak I could let him borrow. I may let him borrow the DA 55-300. Which adapter are you using for aperture control? Any other tips?

Does the camera have focus assist like the NEX or k-01?
it has focus assist but no focus peaking so only get it if he has good eyes. As for the DA I do not think there is an adapter out yet that allows for aperture control but I may be wrong...
05-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks like a great setup! the Q is hardly visible in between all this gear!

One question related to the Red Dot Finder. How you use it exactly? Is it just for pointing the camera correctly, after which you use the LCD to focus and compose?

I'm still waiting for Pentax's version of the adapter (with the nice tripod mount they showed), so I can start using my K135/2.5 on the Q (which doesn't have a tripod mount). I'll judge then if the LCD is sufficient to work with. I expect the FOV of the 135mm will be easier to use than 300mm.

Wim
05-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
(...) As for the DA I do not think there is an adapter out yet that allows for aperture control but I may be wrong...
Actually there are several of them, from manufacturers such as Kiwifotos, Novoflex and RJ and also from unknown Chinese manufacturers.
Attached Images

05-15-2012, 06:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Kenafein, the Q could work for the Africa trip. It depends on how skilled the photographer is. The Q looses AF and image stabilization with adapted lenses (at the moment). It requires a little effort to shoot with 135mm handheld - but very possible. On tripod pretty easy. Can always use 4X lcd magnification on static subjects to acquire focus. Q is not very usable for birds in flight etc. Africa is also very brightly lit so I would consider a lcd lupe to aid viewing and stability.
thanks
barondla