Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 06:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ishpuini, you are correct. The red dot finder is used to point the Q. When you have a 200mm (eq. 1000mm) or 300mm (eq. 1650mm) fov it is difficult and slow to get the subject in the picture. The red dot finder helps so much I doubt anyone would give it up. I wouldn't.

If you have a DSLR you can also use it with a long lens on AF. Look thru red dot to track bif ( bird in flight) and hit shutter button. You are relying in AF to focus bird . This doesn't always happen. Red dot shows wider field than your viewfinder/lens combo so you see the subject entering/exiting the frame.

I hope the Pentax lens adapter comes out soon. A little worried because my source hasn't heard a thing about it's arrival time. Likely means it is still months away. You might want to get a cheap adapter and fix it's tripod mount for now.

thanks
barondla

Ultra telephoto photography is a lot of fun.

05-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Kenafein, the Q could work for the Africa trip. It depends on how skilled the photographer is. The Q looses AF and image stabilization with adapted lenses (at the moment). It requires a little effort to shoot with 135mm handheld - but very possible. On tripod pretty easy. Can always use 4X lcd magnification on static subjects to acquire focus. Q is not very usable for birds in flight etc. Africa is also very brightly lit so I would consider a lcd lupe to aid viewing and stability.
thanks
barondla
Total noob unfortunately. I told him to rent a d5100 and a bigma knowing that probably wouldn't even be enough, but workable. He doesn't want to spend that much. Even with the Q he will probably resell it when he gets back. I have a monopod I planned to lend him. Birds will be out of the question, but I thought this might let him get some nice memorable shots of elephants and such.
A trip to Africa is not a time to cheap out, but it's his money. He has been so frustrating I told him at one point to just buy a nice pair of binoculars and enjoy the experience while he is there. Thanks for the info guys. I am not a Tele guy, but this gives me some ideas if I ever get into it myself.
05-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Pentax q with da300

Hello everyone,
I was impressed about the possibilities with Pentax q and da 300 discussed and demonstrated here.
I just got me a Pentax Q and a chinese made K-Adapter. I have made my first tests using various lenses.
The DA* 300 works best for me.

Here are some links.

The first 2 are made with K5 and DA*300
IMGP5282_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP5483_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The other two are made 5 minutes laster using the same setup but now the Q instead of the K5.
IMGP0412_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP0457_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A little hard to focus in bright light. but the result surprised me when looking at the results on a 24 inch screen.

Here is nother test I made with the tip of a church tower. Both images are 1:1
pqda3001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

From now on, I will always have the Q and the K-Adapter in my long range pack.
05-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the Q. You have some nice Q tele shots. A great start.

Q is a tele monster and I agree with you. Would never leave home without it and the PK adapter in the main bag. It has already helped capture images that would be hard if not impossible for me to duplicate any other way.

The DA*300 is also the best big tele I have used on the Q. It has less color fringing ( almost 0 ), than even my Olympus OM 350 2.8. My only lens that may match it is the Olympus OM 180 f2. More shootng is required for that verdict.

Get a Pentax red dot scope and hotshoe adapter for much improved aiming ease. It makes a huge difference. So much quicker to find the subject. Highly recommmended.

Enjoy your Q. Can't imagine wildlife photography without one.
thanks for sharing
barondla

05-26-2012, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #20

Pentax q + da 300 moon shots

Dear all,

After having the Pentax q in my arsenal for only about a week, I think Igot the Pentax Q virus.

I tried hard to get some good moon shots with the Pentax k5 and the Da 300.

For best sharpnes I did it last winter at the middle of the night and it was icy cold.

Today evening at abou 10 pm I saw a half moon not the best clarity and I thoght, that it was worth a try.

And here is the outcome, which is MUCH better than anything I was able to get with the DA and K5 so far.

moon3xxxyz | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

moon2b | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
05-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
AldAsAck, these are beautiful moon shots. Very rich in detail. you are doing great with the Q - and in the first week! Can't wait to see what follows.

Fear the Q virus you speak of is spreading. So far there is no known cure. People with LBA seem likely to catch it. Lol. My Q gets used a lot. Would be lost without it. Why would any wildlife/ long lens user not have a Q?

thanks for sharing
barondla
05-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Wowzer! Great Moon shots.

06-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks for the information.
An alternative for the "Xtend-a-Sight" ($27) from photosolve.com could be the "Hot Shoe Sliding Platform" ($18) from gadget.brando.com.
There also exists a package with a red dot sight ($39), which I just ordered.
06-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #24

Dear barondla,

a strong Laserlight can hurt human and animals eyes. These gadgets are made for hunting killers and they do not care about.
But I am very much shure you do not want to hurt these fantastic animals. But a blind or handicapped eagle will die a terrible death by starvation.
Please feel responsible and do not point with a strong laserlight on any human or animal.

thank you very much, jan

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Got the Pentax red dot in to replace the Tasco. Like the Pentax better. It is sealed, has "stretchy string" connected lens caps that have clear openings. The finder can be usd with the caps on. This saves a lot of time on a grab shot. Also like the intensity settings can be seen from behind the camera vs the side. The Pentax also has full length rails that fit my hotshoe adapter much better than the Tasco. Only down side is the Pentax is a little bigger (1/2-3/4 inch longer). Not a big deal. Hope the weather and eagles cooperate tomorrow!
thanks
barondla
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iFoto Quote
Dear barondla,

a strong Laserlight can hurt human and animals eyes. These gadgets are made for hunting killers and they do not care about.
But I am very much shure you do not want to hurt these fantastic animals. But a blind or handicapped eagle will die a terrible death by starvation.
Please feel responsible and do not point with a strong laserlight on any human or animal.

thank you very much, jan
Hi iFoto,

Red Dot sights are not the same as laser sights. The red dot is projected on a translucent screen within the sight and not projected on the subject, so there is zero chance that the subject could be harmed in any way. Your concern is admirable, but in this particular case unfounded.

Scott
06-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #26

oh sorry, my mistake, so this is not a laser pointer
thank you scott for help, i didn't know that
06-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #27

Comparision K5 DA 300 / Pentax Q DA 300

dear all,

Please have a look at the comparision. The sdame turtle in a lake. Same conditions, the on day with K5 DA 300 the other Day Pentax Q with DA 300 and tripod.

schldkröteda300k5q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really like the K5 and I do a lot of nice shots with it, but as a long reach "telescope" the Q with a DA 300 is really outstanding in my view.

You may also have a look at the shot movie captured with the Q / DA 300 combination. In original it is HD quality and really good.

moon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

some more shots made with the Q / DA 300 combination at long distances:

IMGP1025_mod2x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0714_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Schildkröten_Heidesee20122x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldAsAck Quote
dear all,

Please have a look at the comparision. The sdame turtle in a lake. Same conditions, the on day with K5 DA 300 the other Day Pentax Q with DA 300 and tripod.

schldkröteda300k5q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really like the K5 and I do a lot of nice shots with it, but as a long reach "telescope" the Q with a DA 300 is really outstanding in my view.

You may also have a look at the shot movie captured with the Q / DA 300 combination. In original it is HD quality and really good.

moon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

some more shots made with the Q / DA 300 combination at long distances:

IMGP1025_mod2x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0714_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Schildkröten_Heidesee20122x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Very nice, thanks for this. I bought a Canon FD 300/4 L to use with my NEX, but also with a mind on picking up a Q in the future for super long telephoto shots. All thanks to this thread.
06-15-2012, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

RDS + Q + Kiwi Q-K + A* 300/2.8
Attached Images

06-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Love the setup. Is the little foot that rests on the lens adjustable to fit different diameter lenses? How tightly does the rds foot fit into the Pentax hotshoe? My adapter was advertised as over size so it could be sanded down to fit. Alas it was still too small before sanding. Wish there was less slop in it.

Can't wait to see some images from your 300 2.8. Should be spectacular.
thanks
barondla