Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
06-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteQuote:
Is the little foot that rests on the lens adjustable to fit different diameter lenses?
The "little foot" is the screw of the filter drawer of the lens .
QuoteQuote:
How tightly does the rds foot fit into the Pentax hotshoe?
The foot fits tightly into the hotshoe. The connection between the foot and the supporting bar of the RDS is a bit wobbly though.
QuoteQuote:
Can't wait to see some images from your 300 2.8. Should be spectacular.
Some preliminary test shots with the A* 300 and the FA 50 (text in German): A cow (the German word for it is pronounced like Q="Kuh") in the garden

06-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AldAsAck Quote
dear all,

Please have a look at the comparision. The sdame turtle in a lake. Same conditions, the on day with K5 DA 300 the other Day Pentax Q with DA 300 and tripod.

schldkröteda300k5q | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I really like the K5 and I do a lot of nice shots with it, but as a long reach "telescope" the Q with a DA 300 is really outstanding in my view.

You may also have a look at the shot movie captured with the Q / DA 300 combination. In original it is HD quality and really good.

moon | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

some more shots made with the Q / DA 300 combination at long distances:

IMGP1025_mod2x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0714_mod | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Schildkröten_Heidesee20122x | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Wow, I'd love to try that too. I just bought a Pentax Q. So I think I will have to buy one of those adapters to use my Pentax lenses on my Pentax Q. Which one did you buy? Which company?
06-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #33
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:27 AM.
06-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #34

Pentax Q DA* 300 Adapter

I first used the following adapter:
Kiwifotos LMA-PK(A)_PQ Objektivadapter Pentax K - Pentax Q

Pentax K-Objektiv - Pentax Q Adapter Kiwifotos kaufen im Enjoyyourcamera.com Shop

but it is not crafted very well and I needed some struggle (force) to get my da 300 coupled. But it works as you can see from the images.

I now purchased a different adapter from novoflex. It is expensive but much better crafted. Easy to mount and no force needed to couple the DA 300.

Novoflex - Adapters go with the adapterfinder !

The focusing is tricky, you need a good tripod and 4x magnification enabled. In addition a LCD viewfinder is great (which I did not have yet for the comparision !)

I now user the:

Delamax by GGS LCD Displaylupe 3.0x - Viewfinder

Delamax by GGS LCD Displaylupe 3.0x - Viewfinder - mit: Amazon.de: Elektronik

To avoid mechanical stress to the tiny Q and here especcially for the connection to the adapter I recently purchased the Velbon SPT-1 Lens support.
It stabilizes the connection DA 300 / Adapter / Pentax Q. In addition it gives you a grip to precisely move the Q when seeking to the target.
It is also great for mounting a shoulder strap !

Velbon SPT-1 Lens Support: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

Google-Ergebnis für http://hs-imaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/velbon_spt_02.jpg

I used the described puzzle of tools and gadget for the following foto:

IMGP1173_mod22xhdr | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

More questions ???

Have fun

Have fun

06-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:27 AM.
06-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #36

Novoflex adapter

Yes,

both adapters allow aperture control.

The KIWI uses 3 steps, the Novoflex continuos aperture. You simply turn a ring in both cases. The Novoflex is blue as shown on the fotos.

However, you DO NOT see an aperture setting. Best is you look into the lens and you will see how much it closes.

Because of physical limits, you can only use small apertures anyway. I would guess 5.6 -8 max, Then the image will become less sharp.

The fotos I made are using about 5.6 and 125 ISO. Usually with that ISO you have no chance for higher apertures anyway.

In the example I have my sigma 50 mm attached. This comes out as a 250 mm macro lens using the Pentax Q.

You can also see that I'm using a macro slide (half cut off) to attach the LCD Viewfinder to the Pentax Q and still have the option to have a tripod fix.

http://www.amazon.de/Stereo-Einstellschlitten-Makroschlitten-Kameraschlitten...0644219&sr=8-1

The last image shows the complete setup with the DA* 300, Novoflex adapter, Velbon Lens support and LCD Viewfinder.

Have fun
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hallo AltAsAck,

nette Wortspielerei ;-) Was für eine verwegene Konstruktion!! Ich glaube, dass muss ich mir auch mal alles zusammensparen.
Ich bin schon gespannt auf weitere Fotos. Auch von dem 50mm als 250er Makro!!

What a crazy construction!! I think I will have to buy this kind of gear as soon as I have enough money!
I'm already looking forward seeing more pictures. Please also some some that you haven taken with the 50mm as 250mm Macro!!

06-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #38
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: [deleted]
06-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Amazing AldAsAck! A great Q setup! You are definetly having fun with the Q and are getting super results.

Haven't seen that lcd magnifier before. Went to the web page but can't read German. Does the eyepiece fold out of the way if desired? That would be very handy. Have tried a hoodman on Q but the view of the lcd is distorted. Gave me problems focusing manually. How is this viewfinder?

thanks
barondla
06-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #40
Forum Member

So cool to see the Q all pimped up. I was just watching DigitalRev TV. Kai made a remark about people with to much money " wasting money on some red dot thing " I'm not rich but I would buy a red dot thing if I was cuz it looks cool.
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #41

LCD Viewfinder

That LCD viewfinder is a chinese product.
It has SQUARE, rectengular, flat sides
So I could easily attach it to the alu plate with 4 screws and it does not wobble.

The magnification and clarity is ok. Better than pure sunlight and focusing without it.
I can focus without my glasses (-2.7) since it has a diopter to correct it. Half of it can be folded away so that it also works as a shade for the lcd.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grufti1957/7449057332/in/photostream/lightbox/

As a shade only it is also bebeficial in sunlight !
The LCD itself is the problem. It could have a better resolution. Perhaos with the next Q if there is one ???
It is areal pity that you cannot use an external LCD screen for focusing since the q always goes into display mode ;(
However, if you take your time, make several shots ... you will finally habe a good result.
I think thats the way you made your eagle shots as well

The optimum lcd viewfinder (also for the K5) would be the
Zacuto Z-Finder Pro 3x

DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, Optical Viewfinder - Zacuto Z-Finder

mine is simple a cheap clone !

The Z Finder has a basplate which does exactly what my self constructed plate does: attach the viewfinder to the camera and provider tripod support.
However it is muchg more robust and flexible to attach since it can move into various positions.

Last edited by AldAsAck; 06-26-2012 at 10:42 AM.
06-26-2012, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #42

Moon Comparision K5 / Pentax Q DA 300

Hi everyone,

attached a comparision of 2 shots:

K5 + Kenko 2x teleconverter + DA* 300 = 900 mm (Moon to the right !)

Pentax Q + DA* 300 =1650 mm (guess which moon)

almost same conditions (ISO 400 with K5, Aperture 8, time 180, remote trigger - ISO 120 with Q, Aperture estimated 5.6, time 160, remote trigger)

same Moon

nearly same postprocessing (lightnes, contrast, some sharpening)

First time for me to use the LCD Viever for the Q and the moon. This was more easy than without it using livewiew at the K5

Result: The Q and DA* 300 combination simply is anotther class !!!

The magnification is only 75% for the Q but 100% for the K5 despite the higher resolution of the K5
Attached Images

Last edited by AldAsAck; 06-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.
07-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I've been so impressed with the set-ups (and results) from Baronla, Scott (Snostorm), AldAsAck and Froeschle that I went out and bought myself the Q (body only), Q to K adapter and the Delamax x3 display - just haven't been able to find the Red Dot or RDS in time for my birding trip this weekend but this is going to be my back-up kit for when the K5, DA*300 and AFA x1.7 just isn't long enough.

Excited to start testing this tomorrow (battery is charging now) in readiness for those birds that previously thought they could evade detection by staying out of normal camera range

Thanks for the inspiration guys !
07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Not much to practice on at midnight and a thunderstorm outside but playing around I've found that the Contax Zeiss' are going to be awesome on the Q. The 85/1.4 (a birding lens of 470mm @f1.4 !!) and 35-70 (190 - 385mm) especially are superb, macro looks to be brilliant with the Tamron 90 too. Pity there is no Focus Peaking on the Q though. A big miss.
07-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #45
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:25 AM. Reason: [deleted]