Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photosolve Quote
Lauren, it sure looks like you've mounted a 7/8 (some call it 5/8) weaver mount to the 3/8 portion of the Xtend-a-Sight (really designed for the smaller Daisy mount Red Dot Sight). I'd be a bit concerned about how well it connects as the profile of the 3/8 portion is really quite different. Now it DOES look like the top and bottom attachment rails have a different profile so that may be the key. The way the brackets are oriented could be completely rotated top to bottom, and it'll fit the bottom rail. As I've not seen the Pentax I'm going to have to ask for a profile shot from the side to see if there are drop in connecting rods that normally fit across weaver mounts. If you can drop the entire unit down to the lower (wider 7/8 inch) rail, I'd do it.
Thanks Phil!

Yes, the Pentax rails have a slightly different profile top to bottom and can grip the 3/8 or upper rails of the Xtenda-sight pretty well. I tried mounting the scope to the lower or 7/8 rails but I could not get a good fit because of the way the Pentax seems to clamp.

Maybe I will try again - although I don't see any downside to using the upper rails as it's pretty well secured.

I don't really know, since this scope is the only "gun" item that I own.

01-15-2013, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, I don't know about others, and I know there are probably better sights out there, but having a Pentax scope on a Pentax camera is just plain bad-ass!!!
01-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Also, I don't know about others, and I know there are probably better sights out there, but having a Pentax scope on a Pentax camera is just plain bad-ass!!!
Yes I like this aspect too
01-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lauren, it sure looks like you've mounted a 7/8 (some call it 5/8) weaver mount to the 3/8 portion of the Xtend-a-Sight (really designed for the smaller Daisy mount Red Dot Sight). I'd be a bit concerned about how well it connects as the profile of the 3/8 portion is really quite different. Now it DOES look like the top and bottom attachment rails have a different profile so that may be the key. The way the brackets are oriented could be completely rotated top to bottom, and it'll fit the bottom rail. As I've not seen the Pentax I'm going to have to ask for a profile shot from the side to see if there are drop in connecting rods that normally fit across weaver mounts. If you can drop the entire unit down to the lower (wider 7/8 inch) rail, I'd do it.
Seems to fit well either way, but at your advice I have gone back to the larger rail.

It is odd, however, that the alignment is that far off. Have you taken a look at your hot shoe to make sure it's completely horizontal? As an alternative, a small shim in the front of the shoe might work as well.
No, it's actually the Xtend-a-Sight itself -- if I rest the mounting foot on a flat surface the front of the rail is below the back, roughly half a mm.

01-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
No, it's actually the Xtend-a-Sight itself -- if I rest the mounting foot on a flat surface the front of the rail is below the back, roughly half a mm.
Shouldn't be like that - contact Phil directly at his email he posted above.
01-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Yes, the Pentax rails have a slightly different profile top to bottom and can grip the 3/8 or upper rails of the Xtenda-sight pretty well. I tried mounting the scope to the lower or 7/8 rails but I could not get a good fit because of the way the Pentax seems to clamp.
I have mine mounted on the 7/8 rails with no issues. I believe I did have to flip one of the Pentax rails over, like it is shipped to show you can mount it either way. Perhaps just need to flip them both the opposite way?
01-15-2013, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #157
Inactive Account

Level on Xtend-a-Sight...

Regarding the level on the Xtend-a-Sight Plus...

I just measured the most recent production units. They're dead flat. If you have one that isn't, you shouldn't have, so send me your address at phil at photosolve dot com and I'll send you out a replacement unit. I'm very sorry that you've got the issue. I'll send along a return address label as well, and you can send the old one back so I can see what the problem is...

Best,
Phil
photosolve

01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just measured the most recent production units. They're dead flat. If you have one that isn't, you shouldn't have, so send me your address at phil at photosolve dot com and I'll send you out a replacement unit. I'm very sorry that you've got the issue. I'll send along a return address label as well, and you can send the old one back so I can see what the problem is...
Thanks very much Phil; will do.
01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Such a cool thread!!!
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Update: cannot get the Pentax Red Dot after all ...

The contact I had doesn't not have a US mailing address anymore.

So, I am now looking into something "similar" and hopefully just as good here in Canada, and that would also fit to the X-Tend a Sight by Photosolve.

So, back to browsing the Web until I find something suitable and of good quality.
If anyone has suggestion(s): please do let me know !

JP
01-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #161

Will not be Pentax but did you try Cabelas Canada - Hunting Fishing Camping GPS Optics & Outdoor Gear

Last edited by flylow7f39; 01-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.
01-16-2013, 03:23 PM   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flylow7f39 Quote
I believe Barondla was running a Tasco initially, you might ask if it is this one Cabelas Canada - Optics - Binos-RFs-Scopes - Red Dot Sights/Scopes - Tasco 1x30mm .22 Red Dot Sight
01-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #163
Veteran Member

I've been using a Tasco as my main Red Dot for photography for about 8 years. They make two different versions with a 30mm reticle, but I think they're both the same sight, with different rail mounts. Originally, they made two different grades -- one for centerfire rifles/pistols, and shotguns, and a lighter duty model for .22 rimfires (because they have much lower recoil) -- with the smaller rails for the .22s. I think that now, they just make the heavier duty sights, and market them for both. I also think, but am not sure, that most of these have dual purpose rails -- they will accommodate either 7/8" on one side or 3/8" dovetails flipped.

Recently, I purchased a couple of inexpensive Chinese models to experiment with, and am using them, mainly because they are a bit smaller and lighter and seem to have better battery life. I've also used a very inexpensive and very light duty Daisy (or might have been Crosman) for BB guns, and this worked as well. Absolute precision is not much of a factor, the idea is to get the subject in the viewfinder. I have my current one sighted in for my DSLRs. This puts the dot about 1 foot high when mounted on the Q, I haven't changed the elevation on the sight, just aim it 1 foot over, and get the bird in the VF, at which point the sight becomes irrelevant.

Scott
01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sorry I don't know anything about those, as the only one I have tried is the Pentax. Seems like overkill to have all the different reticle patterns and colors but maybe they help?
Can you get stuff from Hong Kong, perhaps just try a cheap one from to see how it might work out?
I got an offer at about 15% rebate on the Konus, that is why I consider it and it does indeed look nice. This is a tough choice...
01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bummer jpzk. My Tasco is the bkrd30. It works fine and is made well. Just not as convenient. I love the Pentax stretchy string lens caps that are clear. Never take them off to use sight. Probably could get those for the Tasco.

Don't give up on the Pentax. Doesn't any other country sell sell Pentax red dots? How about Hong Kong?
thanks
barondla