Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Issue with 01 lens focusing ring

Hi guys,
I found that the focusing ring of my 01 lens suddenly started showing a very high friction and particularly it gets pretty stuck when I stop rotating it. Of course this makes it almost unusable.

Luckily, the by-wire focus is unaffected, and since the Q AF is darn good, I actually rarely, if ever, use the focusing ring.

I wonder if any one of you ever had similar issues. Also, did anyone tried to disassemble it? Mine is still covered by warranty, but I am currently traveling around the world, I wouldn't like to send it away for repair for weeks. Additionally, there is always the possibility that they will state that this is due to misuse/dirt.

05-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Never heard of this problem. Have 7 friends wih a Q and all of their lenses work like new. would not take it a part. If broken it may need parts that you won't have. It may not work at all after disassembly. Limp thru on AF and get it repaired later under warranty.
Enjoy your travels
barondla
05-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paolo.Bosetti Quote
Hi guys,
I found that the focusing ring of my 01 lens suddenly started showing a very high friction and particularly it gets pretty stuck when I stop rotating it. Of course this makes it almost unusable.

Luckily, the by-wire focus is unaffected, and since the Q AF is darn good, I actually rarely, if ever, use the focusing ring.

I wonder if any one of you ever had similar issues. Also, did anyone tried to disassemble it? Mine is still covered by warranty, but I am currently traveling around the world, I wouldn't like to send it away for repair for weeks. Additionally, there is always the possibility that they will state that this is due to misuse/dirt.
Hi Paolo,

Mine has gotten tight also. It isn't a helicoid problem since the MF is by wire also. There is no visible damage, but I have to say that I usually carry the Q w/01 in a jacket or cargo pants pocket and it has gotten hit a few times. I'm going to wait until fall and send it in to see if they will fix it under warranty.

Scott
05-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks snowstorm. Actually, now I remember that few weeks ago the camera got a hit flat on the lens cap (not too hard, though). At that time I did not check the focus ring, so I cannot relate for sure cause and effect.

So I suppose we can advice the fellows Q owners to be careful about hitting the lens along the axial direction.
I know, this sounds like a silly advice... but I am the kind of guy known to maintain things in an almost new state for years, and I assure you, that hit was nothing serious: just dropped the camera flat on the lens cap on a rug from no more than 30 cm...

05-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Never heard of this problem. Have 7 friends wih a Q and all of their lenses work like new. would not take it a part. If broken it may need parts that you won't have. It may not work at all after disassembly. Limp thru on AF and get it repaired later under warranty.
Enjoy your travels
barondla
Wait a minute... You have 7 friends with a Q? I don't know 7 people that shoot a Pentax of any kind! Or did you mean online friends from this forum?
05-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Devorama, I have 7 "physical" friends with the Q! Have helped with the firmware updates on all but one. 5 black Q, and 2 white. All have Q lens adapters and use them for wildlife. 4 are adapting Q> Pentax K. One is using Canon EOS & Pentax M300. Another is using Pentax & Nikon ( Nikkor 80-200 2.8). Different friend has Q on Nikon 80-200 2.8, and Canon 100-400.

You don't know 7 people that shoot Pentax? Bummer. In our camera club there are approx 75 members. Can think of 8 that shoot Pentax aps-c. Add a few more with the Q.

thanks
barondla
05-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
barondla, that's really cool. I live in Chicago, and all my friends are Canon or Nikon shooters. The only people I know that shoot Pentax are all people I know only from online. Every once in a while, I will see a Pentax shooter in public like at the zoo or at the other tourist attractions in Chicago.

Oh wait, I take that back. I know ONE person that shoots Pentax that I've met in person. We were at an indoor waterpark shooting photos. I glanced down and asked him if he was holding a K-x. He said, no, it was a K-1000. I said, I thought he meant K-2000. That was what he had. He was about to shoot a big group photo with his kit lens. I suggested my K-5 with DA* 16-50mm would probably do better in that light.
05-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My town has less than 50K people. Does draw some from surrounding area. Can walk in store and buy K-01, K5, and Q ( all in stock). K30 is on the way in all colors. We are lucky.

Largest number of Pentax users I shot with was last year. 4 Pentax shooters and 1 Canon user traveled to Alton, Il then Burlington, Ia. It was great photograhing the eagles. It was 1 degree that morning. Brrrrrrr.

We trade lenses around. Only current ones We haven't used is 60-250 and 18-135, 21, 15. These aren' real interesting to wildlifers ( except 60-250 ).

thanks
barondla

05-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

OK, this is weird, My 01 prime, after sitting on my desk for about a day while I was doing some experiments with my A 50 2.8 Macro, just cured itself. When I went to mount it back on the body, I noticed that the focus ring turned freely. After being mounted and locked in place, it remained free, and functions correctly. I didn't notice any difference when I took it off, but I wasn't looking for any change, so this all might have happened a while ago, but it's definitely been since this thread started.

Another advantage for the Q -- The system lenses have the ability to heal themselves

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 05-29-2012 at 12:36 AM.
05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
snostorm, then I'll let mine sit on the desk for 24 hours... just for curiosity, was it sitting with front lens upside, or downside?
Just kidding, of course!
01-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #11

I stupidly dropped my Q with 01 today. Luckily it fell in the snow. The cam is okay, but the lens lost a small piece of plastic at the filter thread. :-( I therefore guess the cam landed on the lens and some longitudinal compression might have occurred. Optically and AF-wise everything seems to be fine, the Q behaves as always #fingers crossed#. Yet, I can hardly turn the focus ring now. So MF is a tour de force now (but works).
I guess, as MF works by wire (like AF) with this lens, that mechanically there is hardly more than an electrical contact and a cheap turning plastic ring to the MF mechanism. And probably the reason why it can be broken easily.
I am going to contact the Pentax service about the lens. If it is not too expensive, I probably let them fix the issue (can't be too expensive to replace some plastic parts) because I love the 01 and want to be sure it works fine.
Now, what happened to your lens, Paolo? Did it repair itself like snostorms?
01-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JanG Quote
I stupidly dropped my Q with 01 today. Luckily it fell in the snow. The cam is okay, but the lens lost a small piece of plastic at the filter thread. :-( I therefore guess the cam landed on the lens and some longitudinal compression might have occurred. Optically and AF-wise everything seems to be fine, the Q behaves as always #fingers crossed#. Yet, I can hardly turn the focus ring now. So MF is a tour de force now (but works).
I guess, as MF works by wire (like AF) with this lens, that mechanically there is hardly more than an electrical contact and a cheap turning plastic ring to the MF mechanism. And probably the reason why it can be broken easily.
I am going to contact the Pentax service about the lens. If it is not too expensive, I probably let them fix the issue (can't be too expensive to replace some plastic parts) because I love the 01 and want to be sure it works fine.
Now, what happened to your lens, Paolo? Did it repair itself like snostorms?
Nope: it's still broken. Don't miss too much MF though, so I dunno if I'll try to get it fixed.
01-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have 7 friends with a Q
barondla
You got to be kidding I have yet to see someone with a Pentax, I don't know of any stores in SE Michigan that stock Pentax, got all my stuff online except the old cameras I had from the 70's

Hans
01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I live in a small rural town and up until a few weeks ago I'd never seen anyone else with Pentax gear, but now I know there's at least one other because she bought my *istDS

I often worry about dropping the Q, but then I've worried about dropping any of my cameras, luckily it's never happened yet - though always possible so it's always in my mind.

Self-healing hardware, mmm - like the sound of that..
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Years ago I had a Nikon F4S, and was sitting on our couch and laid it nest to me with a zoom lens on it. My wife said to be careful it doesn't fall off, and of course, just after that it did. Zoom down into the floor. The F4S was not a light camera (and it had the battery grip on). Ruined the zoom - several hundred bucks down the drain. The camera body was fine, but then that thing was built like a tank - you could have used it as a bludgeon without hurting the camera.
Ever since I've been very careful with my cameras and lenses.