Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few with the standard zoom lens

Week before last we a spent a few days in Banff and Lake Louise and here are a few shots from the Better Halves Q. Personally I find that the Zoom is much softer than the standard prime, what are anyone else's thoughts?

While we were having lunch at the Chateau I borrowed the Q for a few quick interior snaps.

05-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing Heinrich, I particularly like #3 the window shot of a great series......Cliff
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
Forum Member

Very nice. I like how the noise looks like film. I like #3 as well. Keep up the good work with the Q.
Maybe one day we will see the Q on the Pentaxform header on the first page seem like they have every new Pentax but the Q on there. what makes the LS465 so great that it gets a spot?
05-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #4

Can the OP please elaborate on the zoom being softer than the prime? Is it all focal lengths, what aperture values were used? Because on the one hand the general opinion seems to be that it is quite sharp, but my personal experience of carefully testing one in a shop was disappointing, the sharpness just was not there. Maybe it is sample variation, I do not know, but I have gone lukewarm on the zoom considering its rather hefty price tag.

05-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Thanks for sharing Heinrich, I particularly like #3 the window shot of a great series......Cliff
Thank you Cliff and you are welcome.

Take care,

QuoteOriginally posted by northislander Quote
Very nice. I like how the noise looks like film. I like #3 as well. Keep up the good work with the Q.
Maybe one day we will see the Q on the Pentaxform header on the first page seem like they have every new Pentax but the Q on there. what makes the LS465 so great that it gets a spot?
Thank you and I like the "film" look as well.

Take care,
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirill_est Quote
Can the OP please elaborate on the zoom being softer than the prime? Is it all focal lengths, what aperture values were used? Because on the one hand the general opinion seems to be that it is quite sharp, but my personal experience of carefully testing one in a shop was disappointing, the sharpness just was not there. Maybe it is sample variation, I do not know, but I have gone lukewarm on the zoom considering its rather hefty price tag.
The Q is my wife's camera and I don't use it on a regular basis so this is just my own opinion: The standard prime is a very sharp and capable lens, the standard zoom is OK but no where near as good as the prime. I have done no formal testing, just my own observations from the few times that I have used the camera and what my wife has done with it. The zoom seems to be at its worse on the wide end and improves a bit on the long end. I don't see a lot of difference at the various f stops. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the K5.

Take care.

Last edited by Heinrich Lohmann; 05-29-2012 at 01:37 PM.
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #6

I had the pleasure of using my wife's Q this weekend, and my experience generally mirrors yours, Heinrich. I always take a few shots of the city from my parking deck at work to quickly assess the characteristics of each camera/lens, and I found the prime to be fairly sharp, with a pretty remarkable ability to capture fine detail from such a small sensor. The zoom was a bit softer, muddling some of those fine details, and having just a touch less contrast. Our copy of the zoom seems best from about 5-10mm, falling off a little at 15mm.

In practice, though, I found it quite acceptable, and I was pleased with the performance in the field. Here's some shots with the standard zoom:
Flickr: ndjedinak's stuff tagged with pentax515mm2845

As far as grain, I found very pleasing grain with NR set to Low and Fine Sharpness +1 or +2.

I was quite impressed with the Q.
05-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #7

I should add: from the Photozone tests, I thought the zoom would be the equal of the prime in terms of sharpness, so I was a little disappointed with my test. But after shooting with the zoom for a day, I was pleased enough with the quality of the rendering that in the end, I don't care...
05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I should add: from the Photozone tests, I thought the zoom would be the equal of the prime in terms of sharpness, so I was a little disappointed with my test. But after shooting with the zoom for a day, I was pleased enough with the quality of the rendering that in the end, I don't care...
You are absolutely right, the lens is just fine for everyday shooting. Sometimes we get obsessed with sharpness were it makes little difference to the image, anyway my wife is happy with it and that is really all that counts.

05-31-2012, 06:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I find the zoom to be pretty large also. Makes the Q seem not quite as impressively small as it does with the 01 or 03 lenses mounted

Still waiting to see some new lenses from the roadmap to be announced!
06-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

These are nice images, I think they have a bit of a film-like look to them, and I don't think they look 'compact camera'. Were these post-processed out of camera? If in-camera, what settings (Q has quite few).

I would like the standard zoom but am a bit reluctant to buy additional lenses (beyond the normal prime) until I see some further commitment to the system from Pentax (especially officially announcing a tele zoom).
06-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I would like the standard zoom but am a bit reluctant to buy additional lenses (beyond the normal prime) until I see some further commitment to the system from Pentax (especially officially announcing a tele zoom).
Same here. Right now I have the Q and four fixed focal length lenses: the prime, the fish-eye, the toy tele and an old Soviet Jupiter M39 85mm 2.0 (inherited, not bought) with the corresponding Novoflex adapter that is suprisingly good when stopped down to at least 5.6. I really enjoy this setup but have been on the fence regarding the normal zoom and would have actually preferred a tele zoom and a dedicated macro lens and a wideangle prime, made by Pentax with AF and especially for the Q, but no dice so far.
06-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
These are nice images, I think they have a bit of a film-like look to them, and I don't think they look 'compact camera'. Were these post-processed out of camera? If in-camera, what settings (Q has quite few).

Thank you Andrew, all shot in RAW and postprocessed in photoshop 5. As for additional lenses, a macrow would be good news but it is my wifes camera and I am quite happy with the K5.