Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What program do you use to edit out purple fringing?

The Q can be merciless at exposing teles with fringing ( not Pentax DA*300 thankfully). What program do you use for those problem times? Shooting birds in trees can be rough. Do any of tese programs help?
thanks
barondla

06-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Q can be merciless at exposing teles with fringing ( not Pentax DA*300 thankfully). What program do you use for those problem times? Shooting birds in trees can be rough. Do any of tese programs help?
thanks
barondla
The new controls in Lightroom 4 for axial chromatic aberration (which weren't even in the first version of 4 -- they are in an upgrade) are pretty good. They already had tools for CCD-style purple fringing and they've upgraded the lateral CA control to an automatic system that is fantastic. But the new controls are for axial CA, which causes purple or green fringing depending on which side of the focal plane it is on. You can preview what is getting removed, and LR4 has local brushes so you can localize the removal if it is going to affect actual purple or green areas of the image. It is actually easier to remove the really bad fringing because it is thick and of uniform color -- you just choose it and zap. You can eval LR for 30 days for free.
06-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use Camera Raw which basically is part of Photoshop and Lightroom. Me, I'm more of a Photoshop devotee. I'm a graphics freak and can practically do anything in Photoshop, Bridge and Camera Raw. I can take or leave LR but it is cheaper and if you don't need to do more than basic editing it would probably do you fine.
06-15-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi barondla,

I personally don't use any automatic programs or plugins for this, unless there are quite a few files I need to process that all need this type of correction. For the best images, I do it manually using the Clone Brush in PSPPX4 (or any previous version) in "Color" mode, using either a correctly colored branch or an area of the pic that is close to the right color as the source and clone the color to the fringed areas. An alternative is to desaturate the blue or magenta (or green/red for CA) color channels adjusting the hue of the blue channel towards magenta or the magenta channel towards blue to get get the hue that you need to eliminate in the shot. This latter is sometimes not effective because it can also effect areas that aren't color aberrations, so the color cloning works better for these. As far as I know, this is a technique that I personally invented for this particular purpose, but I could be wrong. . .

Here's an example -- 100% crops

This is the original, with both Purple Fringing and Lateral (green) CA.

This is the same crop, with the purple fringing desaturated with the Adjust Hue/Saturation/Lightness tool in PSPPX4 adjusted for the right color channel.

Note that the purple fringing is eliminated, but the areas of the head and bill are now gray, not their natural colors. This may be okay for some, but I find it unacceptable since most of my pics feature detailed shots, and I like them to have natural colors, down to the details. The green areas on the branch can also be desaturated in a separate step, but I didn't bother in this example. Note also that some fringing is still evident on the feathers under the bill area since the purple was a slightly different hue

This is the same crop, using the clone brush in "Color" mode, 0% hardness, sized appropriately, 100% density, and @ 40% opacity. I used a normally colored area on the robin's feathers and bill as the sources and cloned to the purple fringed areas, then used the background sky to correct any areas where the purple bled into areas that should be blue. I used properly colored area on another branch as the source for the green branch, again correcting any cloning overruns by using an area of sky as the source. You can be a bit sloppy initially, then touch up the borders as needed. You can also combine the techniques and first desaturate the purple to gray, then replace the color with the clone brush as an alternative technique if you wish.I also sometimes uncheck the "Align mode" box to disconnect the source brush area from the destination brush because keeping them aligned sometimes is inconvenient.

This is a bit time consuming, but is the most effective way to correct color aberrations that I've found for real "keepers". Once you get a handle on using the technique, it can be done pretty quickly. Most of the more sophisticated PP programs have a "color" mode for the clone brush, and this technique can be used with any of these.

Scott

06-16-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I use Lightroom for my RAW image library but I found that to remove fringing form jpeg files the Zoner Photo Studio is more efficient. And it handles RAW too, by the way. Latest version is 14 AFAIK.
06-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are all tame samples. Check out the sample database for my shot with the Tamron 200-500/5.6

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/164138-tamron-a...ml#post1991117

I use corel's PSP X4
06-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I use Camera Raw which basically is part of Photoshop and Lightroom. Me, I'm more of a Photoshop devotee. I'm a graphics freak and can practically do anything in Photoshop, Bridge and Camera Raw. I can take or leave LR but it is cheaper and if you don't need to do more than basic editing it would probably do you fine.
LR and Camera Raw have all the same adjustments in them, although the interface is different, and the newest features are not always in-sync just when they come up, but they are eventually. With CS2, we used to use bridge -> camera raw -> ps, but when we went to CS5 (skipped 3 &4), we picked up LR3 and started using that instead of bridge/raw because the workflow and cataloging of images is so nice. Then we do basic adjustments in LR (lens distortion, aberrations, exposure/contrast/curves/cropping/straightening) and then import to PS for major work and fine adjustments. We really use the Nik & Topaz plug-ins for most stuff rather than native PS. The Nik suite is fantastic. I believe we are favoring the Topaz DeNoise for noise reduction these days. (I keep saying "we" because the photography in my house is a collaborative effort and my wife actually does the hands-on PP work when preparing an image to make a saleable print and I just consult and give opinions on what it ought to look like.)
06-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Free PhotoScape (i have LR and PS) but this was a quick remove colour cast and colour enhancement for example sake, you could probably tweak more with other features. this seems okay to me but as i don't know the actual scene and bird i can only PP to my liking.
Just to give a free option and i hope snostorm didn't mind me taking his sample.

Last edited by Clicker; 06-16-2012 at 02:24 PM.