Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Locked up Q

I was out today and after taking an image (Jpg) using the Toy wide, the Q locked on the image review, it wouldn't turn off, or respond to any other buttons.
I ended up having to release the battery to turn it off, but it then wouldn't switch on again once I put the battery back in.
I tried it again half an hour later, the camera came on, although I did notice that the LCD came on with a white screen before the settings bring it to a normal live view image display (can't remember if it did this before), anyway it then functioned normally. I am currently recharging the battery. Its still on firmware 1 as I haven't bothered updating it yet, and only taken around 700 images.

Anyone else had freezing/lock up issues with their Q? Should I return it for repair?

cheers

06-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Was the battery low or nearly empty? After recharge, see if it happens again -- take a dozen shots, turn it on and off several times. If all looks good, update the firmware. And then don't recharge again until it dies (to see if it is a low battery issue).
06-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. Battery was probably below half full, certainly was still showing with one green bar, but it could be a battery issue. My initial thoughts after it happened were to upgrade the firmware and see how it goes. I have only had it about 3 months, so still plenty of warranty time on it if it does go caput.
06-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Managed to lock mine up while doing night hdr shots. This was first day I had it. Also managed to do it while using external lcd hooked to Q with self timer. After the firmware update came out it never happened again.
The firmware update does mentioned enhanced stability. Don't forget to do the 01 prime lens.
thanks
barondla

06-17-2012, 05:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
I recharged the battery and updated the firmware, so hopefully it won't re-occur. Will put it through some heavy usage and see what happens
06-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Funny you should mention that... I locked up my Q too today. Can't remember what I was doing at the time but I've had it happen often with my K5d in the past so I didn't think twice, just popped out the battery re-inserted it and kept shooting.

Lets not forget that cameras nowadays are tiny computers and their programming can at times get a little wonky so a hard reset (battery pull) now and then fixes many minor problems.

Pat
06-18-2012, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #7

Mine has locked up a few times over the months, randomly but too rarely to panic. Removing the battery for just a second is not enough to bring it back to life BUT if you remove it for about 5 seconds then it should suffice, no need to wait for half an hour
07-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #8

my Q was acting strangely yesterday - It's not even a month old with well under 100 shots on the shutter. I would power it up, and it would almost immediately shut down, every time I tried. I tried popping the battery out several times and the problem persisted. I then powered it up and immediately hit the shutter button and the Q finally stayed on - however, the camera would not function: it would not take a photo, nor would it focus. I set the camera to manual focus, and I couldn't even manually focus the lens. I was pretty much resigned to sending it back, however, this morning it fired up first try and is working normally. Strange behavior indeed. I'm going to update the firmware, of course, and hope this doesn't become a habit.

07-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

mine has locked up a few times. I find leaving the battery out for at least 20 secs or so seems to help it come back on immediately upon reinserting the battery
07-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've encountered a lock up when I used the blur effect recently. Battery was half full.

The 3 things that I think prevents the Q from being better:
1) Battery life is really short
2) Close focusing with AF is really erratic
3) WB especially indoors is poor
07-19-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

My Q has locked up a few times, even after firmware updates. It seemed most likely to happen when taking multiple shots in quick succession. I actually find this quite disappointing -- this isn't Pentax's first digital camera, the others I've had have been stable.

The thought occurred to me that it might be due to the EyeFi card I had in there. Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen again with the ordinary Sandisk card.
07-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Mine has never locked up af ter the fw update. I do use class 10 cards. Bet the Eyefi card draws power and is adding to the problem.
thanks
barondla

After fw updatethe Q has to be one of the most reliable cameras out there.
07-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

Mine locked up once months ago, and then never again. I can't recall if I updated firmware before or after that... But I'm confident it's solid now.

Creampuff: make sure you have "AWB in tungsten light" set to 2 in the custom functions. After doing so, I find WB quite good indoors.
03-22-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Q locked up today. Wouldn't turn off or do anything else. First time that's happened. Pulled the battery for a few seconds & it's fine now. I also have the newest firmware installed.