Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Hi Wolfiegirl. This bag is tiny, just wide enough to fit the Q, and deep enough to accommodate a mounted zoom. I store two lenses below the camera. It's a very appealing looking and well made little case, amazing value.
Thanks audiobomber. The price point is certainly right... I love that it has 'pentax' on the front for once instead of some other brand name. And if it's designed for the k-01, if it doesn't work out for the Q, I can always use it for my brick.

Thanks crewl1 for the suggestion on wii on ebay. Will go take a look and see.

I wonder what I will go and buy today...

ETA

Just had a look on ebay. I'm just getting greedy now.

I could be sensible and go for the black one. Nice and plain and simple and costs me a buck.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wrist-Strap-For-Nintendo-Wii-Controller-Remote-MP...item3cd6d23844

OR

for 7 cents more I could get 6 of them in different colours, albeit with silver/white plastic bits rather than black. Although I'm thinking the white bit might match the Q as well... But what on earth am I going to do with the remaining 5?! I'm not going to be swapping them or anything...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6X-Wrist-Straps-For-Nintendo-Wii-Remote-DS-PSP-So...item43a9bed544

OR

I could just buy both...................

Last edited by wolfiegirl; 12-02-2013 at 02:27 PM.
12-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #197
Veteran Member

You never know when you need a wrist strap!
12-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You never know when you need a wrist strap!

1 min too late! i just pulled the trigger and bought 1 as opposed to 6. how boring am i?!

now to think a bit more about the bag. not 100% convinced it's what i want, but the price certainly wants me to be.
12-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks for starting this thread. I picked up my Q exactly a week ago and have been busy learning the ins and outs of this little camera and finding excuses to buy accessories along the way. So much so that I spent the entire weekend reading through all 13 pages and checking out links that everyone "helpfully" provided.

This was in an effort to distract myself from pulling the trigger on the pentax k-q adapter (which after shipping would cost close to the same as my entire Q set).

So I have now spent quite a bit of small change on:

Neoprene Cases for my 01, 02 and Q.

5 PCS Neoprene DSLR Camera Lens Pouch Case BAG S M L XL XXL FOR Canon Nikon Sony | eBay
Camera Shoulder Lens Pouch Case Cover BAG Waterproof FOR Canon Nikon Sony HP | eBay
Camera Shoulder Lens Pouch Case Cover BAG Waterproof FOR Canon Nikon Sony CM | eBay

I had to get them from three different sellers as I was on a price hunt, and despite listings saying 's' the measurements were all different. And in one case, the S size was actually more expensive than the M (!). Don't know what that was about...

I currently have no bag solution for the Q kit, so I figure these neoprene cases will ensure they don't rattle around and hurt themselves wherever I decide to put them (handbag, nappy bag, etc). My Q came with a leather case but it drives me batty that I have to unscrew it (it attaches on the bottom with a tripod screw) to get access to the battery and sd card.

Lens Hoods

Dedicated HB N103 Lens Hood FOR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10 30mm F 3 5 5 6 Lens 40 5mm | eBay
and the applecolour one, which I seem to have misplaced the link to. Will add it when i find it

I am noticing a number of my shots are lacking in contrast and think perhaps the lack of a hood is to blame.

SD card

Maxflash 8GB Class 10 Micro SD Camera Memory Card Compatible With Most Brands | eBay

Also picked up another class 10 sd card, as the RAW buffer is driving me batty, and I figure having a fast card might speed things up a little. Perhaps someone will chime in and say otherwise. But for $5.50 I figure I can't really go wrong.........

Spare Batteries

TWO DLI68 Battery Pack FOR Pentax Optio S10 A40 S12 | eBay

Am chewing through my Pentax battery - have to recharge every day to day and a half, depending on how much I shoot, so will appreciate the backups when they arrive.

K-Q adapter

Mount Adapter Ring FOR Pentax PK K Lens Lens TO Pentax Q Q7 Q10 Camera | eBay

Just picked the cheapest one I could find. Most of my lenses are manual, so they all have their own aperture ring. This one doesn't have a tripod mount but I figure if handholding is really going to be an issue I can perhaps find a tripod ring for the mount itself? No idea. Considering I already own the 01 and 02, and they are doing their job for every day shots of my wolfiepup, birding is going to be the next thing (if I ever really get into it). So I'm telling myself the cheapest k-q adapter will help me decide if I really want to splurge the big bucks on the Pentax adapter.

Still on the wishlist/to acquire list

Strap
I am still on the hunt for a strap. The neck strap isn't really working for me, and I've already dropped the Q (!) once. So I need a solution. Either a sling one, so that it's long enough to sit diagonally across my body, or a wrist strap. Not sure abt shipping to Australia for those wii ones that everyone was raving about. But in the meantime I have found these: 2 x Adjustable Leather Wrist Hand Strap for Camera Canon Nikon Sony Hand Grip | eBay which look quite nice and simple. There's a slew of really nice stuff on etsy as well but a little out of my budget ($15-$30 range) made from leather. I didn't like the look of the gordy straps. A bit too ... manly for me.

Bag
Need something to house it all. I have a few camera bags but they are all designed for a proper dslr size. Unless I choose to make a few of my lenses dedicated Q lenses, my Q kit will just rattle around in these bags. So far nothing I've seen (i.e. the stuff you guys have posted) really appeal to me. So am holding out until I find something that I like. Nothing urgent. I have a smaller bag that I can put everything in once the neoprene cases arrive. But that's just a stop gap solution until the 'right' one comes along.

And... I think that's all.

Am toying with eventually getting a cute little flash. But that's waaay in the future assuming I will even use it, considering I don't even own one for my other dslrs.

Phew! Can you tell I've been bitten by GAS?

I guess now isn't a good time to ask, but ... is there anything else I should get? *wallet winces in anticipation*
Hi Wolfiegirl,

Welcome to the Q-world.

Its always hard to pick a bag for any camera. But one I found that I like for my Q is one I found on eBay...it was about $10. it perfectly fits the Q7+02 along with two additional lenses (in my case the 06 and 03 fisheye). The only downside is that it is thin with padding...so don't pick this bag if you are expecting potential abuse to your gear. I posted a description of it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/223702-quick-pentax-bag-report.html

If you follow the comments in the thread above...it also includes the hood and hood caps I use on the 01...both of which I ordered from eBay.

In the photos I bought a Manfrotto mini-pod for smaller cameras. Folds up nicely to keep the Q7 pocketable...even with the mini-pod attached.

As for straps, I'm a huge fan of Olympus adjustable wrist straps. Here is a link to the B&H website that shows it: Olympus Adjustable Wrist Strap 202315 B&H Photo Video. In the U.S. these are less than $4 and they really work great.

Enjoy!

Dave

12-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Its always hard to pick a bag for any camera. But one I found that I like for my Q is one I found on eBay...it was about $10. it perfectly fits the Q7+02 along with two additional lenses (in my case the 06 and 03 fisheye).
That's the same bag I bought, and I have the same lenses too.
12-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #201
Veteran Member

That's the same bag I bought, and I have the same lenses too.

ah, thin casing eh? hrmmm

oh mann... just looking at the piccy link. pinch caps! i might have to pull the trigger on that too since i bought that specific lens cover. if it is a screw cap it will drive me batty. *sigh*

ahh... tripod. i was thinking about that. i have two little ones that came with some lens cloth/blower packages that I was going to try. and then if they didn't work out I was eyeing this: 2in1 Portable Folding Mini Camera Tripod Monopod Stands Free Ship Worldwild | eBay
12-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #202
Veteran Member

ah, thin casing eh? hrmmm]
Not IMO. It has padding, just not real thick like some bags. What are you planning to do with it? If you intend to hit someone with it, better not to have too much padding.

12-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Not IMO. It has padding, just not real thick like some bags. What are you planning to do with it? If you intend to hit someone with it, better not to have too much padding.

i am undecided yet about what to do about it. i.e. whether i want a bag that i can put within a bag without taking up too much room (eg backapck or handbag), or i'll be happy to just take the bag out and about as is. or if i simply want somewhere for the camera and lenses to live when they are not trekking it in handbag/nappy bag in their neoprene cases.

still lots to organise. in fact my current dslr bodies are simply scattered around the house sans protection for easy access whenever wolfiepup does something photoworthy (i.e. all the time. nothing like first time parents... )
12-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #204
Veteran Member

I see that Ebay is out of the 25mm front cap for the 01 lens hood, I found the one below and ordered it. Not received yet but for $8 US for 10 caps what did I have to loose

Aliexpress.com : Buy PROMOTION! Camera Front Lens Cap Cover 25mm Side snap shipping free from Reliable cap free shipping suppliers on Buttface Wong's store
12-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buttface Wong's store? Sounds legit
12-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I see that Ebay is out of the 25mm front cap for the 01 lens hood, I found the one below and ordered it. Not received yet but for $8 US for 10 caps what did I have to loose

Aliexpress.com : Buy PROMOTION! Camera Front Lens Cap Cover 25mm Side snap shipping free from Reliable cap free shipping suppliers on Buttface Wong's store
hrmm.. i did a search from them the other day and there seemed to be lots available, starting from around $1.50 each?

am I searching for the wrong thing?

These are the results I have: 25mm pinch cap | eBay
12-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #207
Veteran Member

hrmm.. i did a search from them the other day and there seemed to be lots available, starting from around $1.50 each?

am I searching for the wrong thing?

These are the results I have: 25mm pinch cap | eBay
That be them!! Sometimes you see them listed as a bag of 5 or 6 at a really good price...buy in bulk if possible. I dropped one on kitchen tile and it broke. So I had to go back to the screw lid for a few weeks waiting for a new one. Now I have a bag of 4 or 5 in reserve so if I break/lose one its no big deal.
03-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #208

hello .. am looking for a basic janet and john type introduction/insight into using a third party adapter with the q.
an adapter that gives me the ability to use a k mount lens .. specifically a 28-90mm zoom.
when invited what should I set the focal length to?
should I take the 5.5 x crop factor into consideration?
would I set the fl to 450mm .. the extreme end of the zoom OR 154mm .. the wider end?
alternatively should I set the fl to either 28 or 90mm?
the adapter I have does have a very crude aperture control.
should I leave it wide open and use the aperture control on the lens itself?
do I have auto aperture control available to me? if not .. what should my starting point be? aperture control? shutter speed control? manual?
can I or do I use the leaf shutter? is it electronic shutter control only with a non pentax adapter? do I have any sr abilities? are there no sr abilities?
does the use of a third party adapter limit me to manual usage only?
what are the best settings to use?
anticipated thanks
03-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #209
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Set the focal length to the actual focal length of the lens, i.e. 28-90mm. This will enable the body's SR system to work with your lens.
You will not get automatic aperture control. It needs to be set on the lens or the adaptor. Use whatever setting on the camera that gets the job done - you'll work it out.
Without the OEM Pentax adaptor, only the electronic shutter can be used.

QuoteOriginally posted by stefan22 Quote
hello .. am looking for a basic janet and john type introduction/insight into using a third party adapter with the q.
an adapter that gives me the ability to use a k mount lens .. specifically a 28-90mm zoom.
when invited what should I set the focal length to?
should I take the 5.5 x crop factor into consideration?
would I set the fl to 450mm .. the extreme end of the zoom OR 154mm .. the wider end?
alternatively should I set the fl to either 28 or 90mm?
the adapter I have does have a very crude aperture control.
should I leave it wide open and use the aperture control on the lens itself?
do I have auto aperture control available to me? if not .. what should my starting point be? aperture control? shutter speed control? manual?
can I or do I use the leaf shutter? is it electronic shutter control only with a non pentax adapter? do I have any sr abilities? are there no sr abilities?
does the use of a third party adapter limit me to manual usage only?
what are the best settings to use?
anticipated thanks
03-20-2014, 07:27 AM   #210
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the aperture on the lens and leave the adapter wide open.
A good starting point is f5.6 but experiment to find the sweet spot.
I get best results using M mode an using the shutter speed to change exposure.
Generally I like the output when I run slightly underexposed.
You can check the adapted lens thread at top of this forum to see if anyone has posted samples from your lens.