Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinvin Quote
My thumb grip just came a few days ago since I ordered it while I was in HK. I think it works great for me... no screen coverage over here...
thats hard to believe, cause I have small hands and my thumb covered a good portion of the top right of the screen...

08-21-2012, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #32

Whether it is easy or hard to believe, my user experience with the thumb grip thus far has been great. As I said, no coverage on MY end based on MY current experience and use with the thumbgrip. Mind you, just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for others, that's why I won't say it won't work for you if it doesn't work for me and i won't guarantee it will work for you just because it works with me.
08-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Whether it is easy or hard to believe, my user experience with the thumb grip thus far has been great. As I said, no coverage on MY end based on MY current experience and use with the thumbgrip. Mind you, just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for others, that's why I won't say it won't work for you if it doesn't work for me and i won't guarantee it will work for you just because it works with me.
someone is getting angry, but you know, human thumbs are only shaped a certain way, so unless you have the hands of a 3 year old (I wear small latex gloves) or a thumb thats inverted to the opposite direction I call bull lol...

EDIT: actually now that i look at it with my thumb grip on, even if you had the hands of a 3 year old your hands will still cover the whole right side of the screen...

and I also know its fun to have these little be bops and what not on our cameras, but you do not have to justify the use of it because you like the way a camera looks with a thumb grip, I would not recommend a thumb grip ever on the Q, it's to small, point blank period, the hands of a child would cover the screen if used with a thumb grip. Woman wear funny things in there hair and dont need a reason to do it, keep your thumb grip on it's ok, just dont recommend them they are overpriced and useless on the Q...

Last edited by Blue; 12-16-2012 at 04:11 PM.
08-21-2012, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #34

Thumbgrip on Q

Last edited by vinvin; 08-21-2012 at 08:55 AM.
08-21-2012, 07:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

hahaha, good luck gripping it like that all day...
08-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Is anybody thinking about the optical viewfinder for the Q? It's expensive - $200 - but personally would love to have one.
08-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Too expensive for me. Additionally, I find that I use my leather wrap case a lot, making other accessories, like a thumb grip difficult to use... I'm actually pretty happy with the q, as is and I have gotten over the "buy more stuff for it" phase!
08-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Is anybody thinking about the optical viewfinder for the Q? It's expensive - $200 - but personally would love to have one.
Apparently there is a Leica 50mm eqiv viewfinder(to suit 01 prime) which you may find around ebay.....possibly the only time a Leica alternative is cheaper!!!

08-28-2012, 11:00 AM - 6 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Here's my list for Q accessories that I've found useful:

1. Leica Bright Line 50 OVF for the 01 prime. A bit tight, but everything in the VF gets captured and the parallax correction line works well for shorter subject to camera distances. I turn the LV off by pressing the Info button twice, and rely on the "beep" for AF confirmation. No magnification in the VF allows me to shoot with both eyes open, allowing me to frame the shot more quickly and accurately. The Leica BL 50 is about the same size as a US Nickel.
This is probably the best overall article on OVFs other than the newest OEM Japanese ones for MILCs:
Leica View Finders

2. Camdapter Camstrap. Adds bulk to the camera in pocket, but it's fast and allows full manipulation of all the right hand controls while securely holding the camera in one hand. I use a folding C ring screw and Arca compatible plate as a base plate for the strap. I do have to detach the strap to use the tripod plate, but use a very small "S" carabiner so the strap QRs from the bottom.
Camdapter - The Hand Strap

3. Hejnar Photo Arca compatible plate. The flat plate was not available at the time I bought mine, so I had to grind off the lip from the one that was available at the time. The one in this link would not need any grinding.
1" P&S camera plate 4 Markins arca swiss wimberley acratech foba benro kirk | eBay

4. JCC hoods for both the 01 prime and 02 zoom. AFAICT, these are equal to or the same as the OEM for a fraction of the cost. Can't find any current listings for US suppliers for the zoom hood. The 01 prime hood screws in and adds very little length to the lens. I put a very small rubber band on the screw-in cap to reduce the number of turns to remove it. The rubber allows for minimal tightening to keep it screwed in. The 02 zoom hood is a bayonet fit and will reverse install for compact storage.
Professional Replacement Lens Hood MH-RA40.5 For Pentax Q 8.5mm Lens Silver | eBay
Lens Hood for Pentax Q 5-15mm F2.8-4.5 ED AL lens as PH-SBA 40.5 | eBay

5. JCC body and rear lens cap set -- actually nicer and more compact than the OEM. Both caps included in set. Much cheaper than OEM ones I've found.
Professional Body Cap & Rear Lens Cap for Pentax Q Mount 8.5mm New Cover | eBay

6 RJ K -mount to Q lens adapter. AFAIK, this is the best bang for the buck. The tiny screws in the tripod mount stripped out, but I either hand hold or use my body mount Arca compatible plate or a lens tripod foot and plate, so I really don't need it. The RJ does have an aperture control ring so you can use DA series lenses with the Q and still have some aperture control. Without this, DA lenses would mount at min aperture (stopped down all the way) unless you physically blocked the aperture lever on the lens (inconvenient at best and leaves the possibility that the piece used to block the lever might fall out and rattle around in the camera body)
RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay

7. Kipon Pentax P110 to Q lens adapter. I have this one, and it's very good. In the meantime, RJ has come up with one at a lower price, so this might be a consideration.
Kipon Adapter for PTX AUTO 110 P110 mount lens to Pentax Q Camera EXPRESS MAIL! | eBay

pentax 110 lens PTX AUTO 110 P110 mount lens to Pentax Q mount adapter | eBay

8. Metz 20 C2 Auto flash. For Auto flash, the exposure sensor is in the flash, so there is no communication with the body other than fire. No preflash "blinkies", but with the Q, you need to turn the flash "Off" in the flash menu to get it to fire. This is about the same size as the AF 180 FC, but has a 90º tilting flash reflector for bounce flash.
Metz mecablitz 20 C-2 Auto Flash MZ 20220 B&H Photo Video

8a. Metz 24 AF-1 P-TTL flash. P-TTL. so it preflashes and meters with the camera's sensor. There are no manual controls, so it's P-TTL only. Reflector tilts 90º up.for bounce. This unit is about the same size as the 20 C2. Boith of these Metz flashes are a decent size match for the Q, about the height and width of a pack of king size filter cigarettes, and use 2 AA batteries.
Metz mecablitz 24AF-1 Digital Flash for Pentax Camera MZ 24317PS

There are some limitations to the use of external flash with adapted lenses. A P-TTL flash will work intermittently (won't always fire), and P-TTL metering seems to work at least some of the time. Red Eye or slow spped sync needs to be set in the flash menu for this much functionality. Auto or manual flash will not fire with adapted lenses, regardless of menu setting. Flash is limited to 1/13 sec sync because of the electronic sensor. Fill flash outdoors with an external sensor is not practical because the shutter speed is so slow. Flash as the primary light source could be accomplished in daylight with ND or polarizing filters and smaller apertures to cut down the ambient though. Remember that these limitations are only really for adapted lenses. The 01 prime and 02 zoom will work fine with either Auto or P-TTL because they have the shutter in the lens, and both can sync to 1/250 with external flash (or to the fastest shutter speed with the pop up)

9. Extra batteries. I have 4 extras for my Q, and always carry at least 2 spares. I got the Wasabi generics along with their charger which is can use both house current and 12 V DC in the car. The batteries seem to charge faster than the OEM and last about the same.
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI68, D-LI122 and Pentax Q, Optio A36, Optio S10, Optio S12, Optio VS20: Camera & Photo

Here's a shot of my Q from the back showing the Camstrap, Leica BL 50 and tripod plate attached.

Scott
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Super info snostorm. One thought on the handstrap. Would it be possible to tap and drill the front or back of your QR plate, put an attachment ring there permanently and never have to undo the carabiner when switching from handheld to tripod?

I use many of the same accessories. Fixed my RJ adapter with longer screws and JB Weld. Use an old Yasica Electro 35 optical viewfinder. Flash so far has been the horribly over sized Pentax 540. One accessory I wouldn't do without is my solid (not a film) lcd protector. It fits so perfectly no one notices it is an add on. That and the Pentax hood allows the Q to slip in a pocket unnoticed and be protected.
thanks
barondla
09-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #41
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this deal. Only $600 more than B&H:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230850698365&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:CA:1123
10-25-2012, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are find gripping the Q comfortably in landscape mode to be a challenge, consider getting a..

Manfrotto MP1-C01 Pocket Series Tripod

Mount it with the two feet pointed toward the lens side and slightly off-set to the shutter side of the camera. When its time to take some photographs, open the two front feet all the way out. This effectively expands the camera's base (say) 1/2 inch to the front. I find this configuration provides a more natural and relaxed way to cradle the camera and an effective way to better stabilize things. The gadget uses the tripod mount, so you do give that up while it's attached. Also, it adds (say) 1/4 inch to the camera's height and a few ounces in weight. Given the benefits, these downsides seem to be small.

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-07-2012 at 06:55 PM.
11-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
If you are find gripping the Q comfortably in landscape mode to be a challenge, consider getting a..

Manfrotto MP1-C01 Pocket Series Tripod

Mount it with the two feet pointed toward the lens side and slightly off-set to the shutter side of the camera. When its time to take some photographs, open the two front feet all the way out. This effectively expands the camera's base (say) 1/2 inch to the front. I find this configuration provides a more natural and relaxed way to cradle the camera and an effective way to better stabilize things. The gadget uses the tripod mount, so you do give that up while it's attached. Also, it adds (say) 1/4 inch to the camera's height and a few ounces in weight. Given the benefits, these downsides seem to be small.

Cheers... M
Excellent suggestion. Mine arrived today at the same time as my new Q Wow, its a great fit, seems sturdy, came with an extra screw and a storage bag, and because the Q has the doors on the sides does not block anything other than the HDMI out port! Very nice little attachment for setting the camera to take self portraits or group shots! Thanks.
11-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Super info snostorm. One thought on the handstrap. Would it be possible to tap and drill the front or back of your QR plate, put an attachment ring there permanently and never have to undo the carabiner when switching from handheld to tripod?

I use many of the same accessories. Fixed my RJ adapter with longer screws and JB Weld. Use an old Yasica Electro 35 optical viewfinder. Flash so far has been the horribly over sized Pentax 540. One accessory I wouldn't do without is my solid (not a film) lcd protector. It fits so perfectly no one notices it is an add on. That and the Pentax hood allows the Q to slip in a pocket unnoticed and be protected.
thanks
barondla
Can you provide some picture of the camera with accessories on so that I have an idea of how the solid LCD protector and Pentax hood looks like? Oh, and where can I buy these items as well. Thank you!
11-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Since I have ordered the Q (with the 2 lenses kit), I became interested in this thread.
It would be nice to have actual pictures AND links of the accessories when posted here, such as some people already did.

The lens hood(s) seem(s) nice enough, the viewfinder is one thing I would likely get, extra battery and charger ... etc.

Just a thought instead of having to go and find the accessories .... me, being so lazy !

What interests me the most is a viewfinder. I have Googled that a bit and found this: http://www.cameraquest.com/leicafin.htm. Of course, most of these viewfinders are out of production and /or very expensive but I am still loking for a viewfinder for the upcoming-to-my-house Q.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 11-07-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: added info