Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
If you are find gripping the Q comfortably in landscape mode to be a challenge, consider getting a..

Manfrotto MP1-C01 Pocket Series Tripod

Mount it with the two feet pointed toward the lens side and slightly off-set to the shutter side of the camera. When its time to take some photographs, open the two front feet all the way out. This effectively expands the camera's base (say) 1/2 inch to the front. I find this configuration provides a more natural and relaxed way to cradle the camera and an effective way to better stabilize things. The gadget uses the tripod mount, so you do give that up while it's attached. Also, it adds (say) 1/4 inch to the camera's height and a few ounces in weight. Given the benefits, these downsides seem to be small.

Cheers... M
That's quite a nice looking hood on that Q lens.
What is this and where did you find it?

JP

11-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
6 RJ K -mount to Q lens adapter. AFAIK, this is the best bang for the buck. The tiny screws in the tripod mount stripped out, but I either hand hold or use my body mount Arca compatible plate or a lens tripod foot and plate, so I really don't need it. The RJ does have an aperture control ring so you can use DA series lenses with the Q and still have some aperture control. Without this, DA lenses would mount at min aperture (stopped down all the way) unless you physically blocked the aperture lever on the lens (inconvenient at best and leaves the possibility that the piece used to block the lever might fall out and rattle around in the camera body) RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay
Interesting, especially for the price.
Is this something "as efficient" as this: Pentax Adapter Q for K-mount Lenses B&H Photo Video (Pentax brand has a much higher price tag)?
The "genuine" Pentax brand will sell for $245.00 !! Way too much I think and will it do anything more than the one from the RJ?

Cheers.

JP
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the RJ and can't wait for the Pentax adapter to arrive. The RJ has had the wobbly tripod mount glued on with JB Weld and the inside painted with flat matte paint. The Pentax appears to use a tripod foot similar to the DA*300. It is sure to have a less reflective interior. The Pentax Q-PK adapter will be the only one with a built in leaf shuttr. This means no jello effect with moving subjects, longer shutter speeds than 2 seco, and flash sync that is much faster than 1/13 for macro.
thanks
barondla
11-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #49
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That's quite a nice looking hood on that Q lens.
What is this and where did you find it?

JP
Got it here:

Metal Lens Hood for Pentax Q Mount 01 47mm F1 9 Lens | eBay

I added a generic 52mm pinch lens cap for the hood opening in order to help protect the lens when the kit is in my pocket..

Amazon.com: 52mm "Snap-Cap" Lens Cover w/Leash for Pentax or Nikon "Kit" lenses: Camera & Photo

The pierced hood being black also adds some 'stealth' as it helps screen the silver color of the lens when it's pointed at the subject... makes the kit a little bulkier than when using the 01's standard "cone" hood/cap, but not by much... anyway, it all tucks neatly away into my jacket's interior pocket and works great...

Cheers... M

Last edited by Michaelina2; 11-08-2012 at 05:57 AM.
11-08-2012, 05:46 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Got it here:

I added a generic 52mm pinch lens cap for the hood opening in order to protect the lens when the kit is in my pocket..

Amazon.com: 52mm "Snap-Cap" Lens Cover w/Leash for Pentax or Nikon "Kit" lenses: Camera & Photo

The pierced hood being black also adds some 'stealth' as it helps screen the silver color of the lens when it's pointed at the subject... makes the kit a little bulkier than when using the 01's standard "cone" hood/cap... anyway, it works great...

Cheers... M
Since we're painting interiors of adapters, has anyone thought to paint the generic copy of the 01 cone hood black instead of silver?
11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #51
Site Supporter

Got it here:

I added a generic 52mm pinch lens cap for the hood opening in order to help protect the lens when the kit is in my pocket..

The pierced hood being black also adds some 'stealth' as it helps screen the silver color of the lens when it's pointed at the subject... makes the kit a little bulkier than when using the 01's standard "cone" hood/cap, but not by much... anyway, it all tucks neatly away into my jacket's interior pocket and works great...

Cheers... M
Thanks .... and that is a good price too. ... for both items.

JP
11-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Got it here:

Cheers... M
Is it as effective as the original construction? It looks great at least!
11-08-2012, 09:37 PM   #53
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Is it as effective as the original construction? It looks great at least!
I have both. It's not like either will break the bank. So, if you get one and do not like it... well, just write it off as tuition. From my limited time with them, all I can say is... I've not experienced any meaningful image degradation using either (or neither).

Cheers... M

11-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I have both. It's not like either will break the bank. So, if you get one and do not like it... well, just write it off as tuition. From my limited time with them, all I can say is... I've not experienced any meaningful image degradation using either (or neither).

Cheers... M
That's good to hear. I'm pretty sure that I would lose the small screw on cap from the "original" and your setup looks pretty rad and cool.
11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #55
Veteran Member

I used the Manfrotto MP1-C01 Pocket Series Tripod last night to take a 30 minute movie of a presentation I gave. What a NICE little addition it is to the Q. I was able to place the Q on the corner of the piano at the Church but angle it using the Manfrotto MP1-C01 Pocket Series Tripod to frame the area perfectly. VERY unobtrusive. Excellent buy for $19 at Amazon. Can not recommend this little tripod enough for use with the Q.
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Since we're painting interiors of adapters, has anyone thought to paint the generic copy of the 01 cone hood black instead of silver?
You mean painting the *inside* of the hood?

I found this one and the interior is already black... I just assumed they were all like that.
11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
You mean painting the *inside* of the hood?

I found this one and the interior is already black... I just assumed they were all like that.
Both would be nice. I find that black draws less attention from others and you get more photos that are natural and unreactive. The hoods I have seen for the 8.5 are all silver. I have one on order - it should have been here by now as a matter of fact - and plan to paint the exterior (and interior if needed) black with the same flat black automotive paint I am planning to buy tomorrow at Autozone.
11-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Here's my list for Q accessories that I've found useful:

1. Leica Bright Line 50 OVF for the 01 prime. A bit tight, but everything in the VF gets captured and the parallax correction line works well for shorter subject to camera distances. I turn the LV off by pressing the Info button twice, and rely on the "beep" for AF confirmation. No magnification in the VF allows me to shoot with both eyes open, allowing me to frame the shot more quickly and accurately. The Leica BL 50 is about the same size as a US Nickel.
This is probably the best overall article on OVFs other than the newest OEM Japanese ones for MILCs:
Leica View Finders
4. JCC hoods for both the 01 prime and 02 zoom. AFAICT, these are equal to or the same as the OEM for a fraction of the cost. Can't find any current listings for US suppliers for the zoom hood. The 01 prime hood screws in and adds very little length to the lens. I put a very small rubber band on the screw-in cap to reduce the number of turns to remove it. The rubber allows for minimal tightening to keep it screwed in. The 02 zoom hood is a bayonet fit and will reverse install for compact storage.
Professional Replacement Lens Hood MH-RA40.5 For Pentax Q 8.5mm Lens Silver | eBay
Lens Hood for Pentax Q 5-15mm F2.8-4.5 ED AL lens as PH-SBA 40.5 | eBay
6 RJ K -mount to Q lens adapter. AFAIK, this is the best bang for the buck. The tiny screws in the tripod mount stripped out, but I either hand hold or use my body mount Arca compatible plate or a lens tripod foot and plate, so I really don't need it. The RJ does have an aperture control ring so you can use DA series lenses with the Q and still have some aperture control. Without this, DA lenses would mount at min aperture (stopped down all the way) unless you physically blocked the aperture lever on the lens (inconvenient at best and leaves the possibility that the piece used to block the lever might fall out and rattle around in the camera body)
RJ Pentax PK PK-A AF DA lens to Pentax Q adapter with tripod mount aperture ring | eBay
9. Extra batteries. I have 4 extras for my Q, and always carry at least 2 spares. I got the Wasabi generics along with their charger which is can use both house current and 12 V DC in the car. The batteries seem to charge faster than the OEM and last about the same.
Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI68, D-LI122 and Pentax Q, Optio A36, Optio S10, Optio S12, Optio VS20: Camera & Photo

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for this old list. I just got my Tele-Wide Viewfinder today and its a really nice addition to my Q. It was your list that I started with in going after accessories for my new Q, my wife wants to talk to you about that too BTW.

-Robert
11-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Hi Robert,

Glad I could give you some ideas.

I tried for about a month to find one of those old Yashica OVFs for a reasonable price, but struck out, and got the Leica, which is really a nice piece.

I'm in trouble with so many spouses -- for lenses, camera bodies, and photo accessories I've suggested -- good thing this internet thing is anonymous. . .

I've got some pretty wild macro setups waiting in the wings for the Pentax K2Q adapter. . .

Scott
11-27-2012, 05:33 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Hi Robert,

Glad I could give you some ideas.

I tried for about a month to find one of those old Yashica OVFs for a reasonable price, but struck out, and got the Leica, which is really a nice piece.

I'm in trouble with so many spouses -- for lenses, camera bodies, and photo accessories I've suggested -- good thing this internet thing is anonymous. . .

I've got some pretty wild macro setups waiting in the wings for the Pentax K2Q adapter. . .

Scott
Scott,
I struck out for a week on multiple auctions with sniping on 3 happening the last 1 minute that doubled the price well beyond my limit. Then I looked at Yashica aux lens kits and got lucky with a BIN at $32 shipped. It's like it was never used! Of course now I need a Yashica rangefinder to go with these 2aux lenses I have. I still tell my wife that I got the idea from you though
-Robert