Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 05:59 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Docrwm, that Yashica is a very nice, well made camera. If you really want one it should be fairly easy to find. Every soldier bought one. It does take a strange battery.
thanks
barondla
Happy I got my tele-wide finder for less than $10, about 1 year ago.

11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Docrwm, that Yashica is a very nice, well made camera. If you really want one it should be fairly easy to find. Every soldier bought one. It does take a strange battery.
thanks
barondla
Happy I got my tele-wide finder for less than $10, about 1 year ago.
Thanks but I was just kidding. I have the two Aux lenses and case up on eBay already.
11-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks but I was just kidding. I have the two Aux lenses and case up on eBay already.
Hi Robert,

A thought before you sell them -- have you tried them with the Q system lenses? I have Oly 1.4x (can't remember the model off the top of my head) and Tcon 17 (1.7x) front teleconverters that I used with my FZ Pannys way back when. They are both very good optically, and one of the first things I tried when I got my Q. They did work though they didn't give me anywhere near the reach that I wanted with the 01 and 02 lenses. With the Q's AF, since they're internal focusing, the weight wouldn't be a problem as far as wear goes, and front TCs don't rob light like rear converter TCs do (your f stop doesn't change. The Wide converter would probably add some distortion but might turn out to be a usable "toy" wide solution. The tele one probably wouldn't, and it would give you @ 350mm FOV with the 06 tele zoom (IIRC, it's a 1.4x)

I've often been surprised how well some of these old accessories work, even if they were looked upon as junk when they were still contemporary.

Scott
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scott,
I struck out for a week on multiple auctions with sniping on 3 happening the last 1 minute that doubled the price well beyond my limit. Then I looked at Yashica aux lens kits and got lucky with a BIN at $32 shipped. It's like it was never used! Of course now I need a Yashica rangefinder to go with these 2aux lenses I have. I still tell my wife that I got the idea from you though
-Robert
Robert: I will soon be in smae boat with two extra lenses which I have no idea what they will end up: trash, given away or (Oh dear LBA/CBA ! ... ) just get one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=yashica+electro+35&hl=fr&tbo=u&tbm=isch&sour...w=1212&bih=904

They look like a Leica RF to some extent.

Let me know what you've decided to do with your Yashika lenses.

Cheers.

JP

11-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Robert: I will soon be in smae boat with two extra lenses which I have no idea what they will end up: trash, given away or (Oh dear LBA/CBA ! ... ) just get one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=yashica+electro+35&hl=fr&tbo=u&tbm=isch&sour...w=1212&bih=904

They look like a Leica RF to some extent.

Let me know what you've decided to do with your Yashika lenses.

Cheers.

JP
I must say, that is a handsome camera.

I went ahead and listed them on eBay. I am running the K mount and the Q mount now and 2 systems is plenty to keep up with for me. I REALLY am enjoying the viewfinder. Been using it a lot today and its loads of fun, plus the battery is still charged!
11-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Here's my list for Q accessories that I've found useful:
1. Leica Bright Line 50 OVF for the 01 prime. A bit tight, but everything in the VF gets captured and the parallax correction line works well for shorter subject to camera distances. I turn the LV off by pressing the Info button twice, and rely on the "beep" for AF confirmation. No magnification in the VF allows me to shoot with both eyes open, allowing me to frame the shot more quickly and accurately. The Leica BL 50 is about the same size as a US Nickel.
This is probably the best overall article on OVFs other than the newest OEM Japanese ones for MILCs: Leica View Finders
Apart from the Yashica TeleWide and this Leica Bright Line of yours, and according to that link you have posted, which one(s) -- from the link -- is(are) suitable and would do a good job when mounted on the Q/Q10 with the 01 Prime lens?
How about having a viewfinder for the 02 and possibly the 06 upcoming soon?
Is there anything out there that would maybe cover all focal lengths? Probably not?

I see that some "Multi Finders" are shown ... would any of these also should be taken into consideration?

I have yet to receive the Tele Wide I have found on eBay but still wondering what other possibilities there are.

Thanks.

JP
11-27-2012, 06:57 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must say, that is a handsome camera.

I went ahead and listed them on eBay. I am running the K mount and the Q mount now and 2 systems is plenty to keep up with for me. I REALLY am enjoying the viewfinder. Been using it a lot today and its loads of fun, plus the battery is still charged!
It is a nice camera for sure.
I don't think I would ever consider buy one .... must be rather though with films these days.

Great to know that this Tele Wide finder is taking this Q to a new level for you ... can't hardly wait to get mine.

By the way, since you are now using the optical finder more so than the rear monitor on the Q, I suppose you've just turned the screen OFF (info button twice) and use the "beep" for confirmation of focus?

JP

11-27-2012, 07:41 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

Apart from the Yashica TeleWide and this Leica Bright Line of yours, and according to that link you have posted, which one(s) -- from the link -- is(are) suitable and would do a good job when mounted on the Q/Q10 with the 01 Prime lens?
Is there anything out there that would maybe cover all focal lengths? Probably not?

I see that some "Multi Finders" are shown ... would any of these also should be taken into consideration?

I have yet to receive the Tele Wide I have found on eBay but still wondering what other possibilities there are.

Thanks.

JP

I think this one has you covered - Turret viewfinder (28, 35, 50, 85, 135mm).
It is a nice camera for sure.
I don't think I would ever consider buy one .... must be rather though with films these days.

Great to know that this Tele Wide finder is taking this Q to a new level for you ... can't hardly wait to get mine.

By the way, since you are now using the optical finder more so than the rear monitor on the Q, I suppose you've just turned the screen OFF (info button twice) and use the "beep" for confirmation of focus?

JP
Yes, the beep is my signal that all is well and to proceed. I tried it out at my son's birthday party this evening and it worked a treat. Battery lasted the entire evening!
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love that turret viewfinder. Wow.
thanks
barondla
11-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Love that turret viewfinder. Wow.
thanks
barondla
Yes, and that lens is a very bold statement too

I found an even better one for the Q.
Attached Images

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-27-2012 at 09:48 PM.
11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Hi JP,

I also have a Nikon Varifocal 35-135, but haven't used it much. It seemed like a good idea, but in the end is a bit bulky and fussy to use for me. The VF window is small, and at a point, instead of magnifying in the VF further, the frame justs crops. I never considered the turret VFs as their VF window is very tiny, and the effect in the VF is more crop than magnify. They give you a good framing device, but leave something to be desired for usability -- for me. YMMV. For the way I'd like to shoot with the Q and an OVF, I'd rather use the zoom as a multi FL lens, and have multiple single FL OVFs. I'm hoping that a future Q will give us the option to use a nice external EVF. That really would be the best solution, IMO.

Scott
12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Finally received my tripod-mountable, magnetic frame, "2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Nikon J1" from eBay seller jinfinance today, and as I suspected, it fits the Q quite nicely. There is a slight offset to the right, but no buttons are obstructed, and only a slight slice of the LCD is blocked. The mount has fore-aft adjustment, but only a little side-side, so I think a drill can fix this. The view is very clear, and the interior is well-flocked against reflections, but the loupe is pre-focused to the distance of the frame, so there is no diopter adjustment possible.

The reason I went with this kind of loupe is because it is cheaper ($15-$25), but doesn't require sticking anything with adhesive to the camera (I hate cheap adhesive on my stuff!). Instead it uses magnets and a metal frame that attaches to the tripod socket (but has its own socket below that, so it can still be mounted to a tripod!).

I added this type of Q-loupe to the accessories database, and provided a review here.

Last edited by panoguy; 12-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Finally received my tripod-mountable, magnetic frame, "2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Nikon J1" from eBay seller jinfinance today, and as I suspected, it fits the Q quite nicely. There is a slight offset to the right, but no buttons are obstructed, and only a slight slice of the LCD is blocked. The mount has fore-aft adjustment, but only a little side-side, so I think a drill can fix this. The view is very clear, and the interior is well-flocked against reflections, but the loupe is pre-focused to the distance of the frame, so there is no diopter adjustment possible.

The reason I went with this kind of loupe is because it is cheaper ($15-$25), but doesn't require sticking anything with adhesive to the camera (I hate cheap adhesive on my stuff!). Instead it uses magnets and a metal frame that attaches to the tripod socket (but has its own socket below that, so it can still be mounted to a tripod!).

I added this type of Q-loupe to the accessories database, and provided a review here.
Very nice. I have purchased from Jinfinance before and their stuff has been serviceable if not polished. I try to add stuff to the accessory database too and wish more members would take a few minutes to do so, it can really help others when they are considering items for their needs.
12-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #74

Thanks.

JP
"but still wondering what other possibilities there are."

I have one of the tele-wide finders but I find the framing lines are hard to see. If you can find one cheap enough the Voightlander Kontour finders are very cool.

Voigtlander Kontur Finder

One thing to keep in mind with old film era OVFs is that the framing is for 3:2, not the 4:3 of the Q.

Shawn
12-03-2012, 04:48 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shawn67 Quote
"but still wondering what other possibilities there are."

I have one of the tele-wide finders but I find the framing lines are hard to see. If you can find one cheap enough the Voightlander Kontour finders are very cool.

Voigtlander Kontur Finder

One thing to keep in mind with old film era OVFs is that the framing is for 3:2, not the 4:3 of the Q.

Shawn
Must be sample variation and/or age because my Tele-wide lines are pretty sharp and distinct. Nice alternative finder,although I dislike parallax when done thay way personally.