Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I added this type of Q-loupe to the accessories database, and provided a review here.
I have exactly the same hood-loupe LCD-V5 for Nikon J1, but mine would push the buttons on the back of the Q when I held it to my face, to prevent this I opened up the tripod attachment hole in the metal frame to allow the assembly to move to the left. It works perfectly now and is centered to the LCD screen.

Hans

12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I have exactly the same hood-loupe LCD-V5 for Nikon J1, but mine would push the buttons on the back of the Q when I held it to my face, to prevent this I opened up the tripod attachment hole in the metal frame to allow the assembly to move to the left. It works perfectly now and is centered to the LCD screen
Thanks, Hans! That's also my "mod" plan, once the Makita battery is charged.
12-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tele-Wide finder on ebay for $29, this one is under the Sun-tar moniker, but appears to be the same as the Yashica set (sans the silver stripes.)
Not my listings, FYI only.
Vintage Suntar Cased Wide Lens Set w Telefinder Japan | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNTAR-Aux-Lens-Set-Wide-Angle-Telephoto-1-4-Tele-Wi...item3a7c001403

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNTAR-AUX-LENS-SET-CASE-WIDE-ANGLE-TELEPHOTO-1-4-w-...item43b666f656

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suntar-Auxillary-Lens-Set-WA-Tele-to-fit-55mm-lens-t...item337df00662

Last edited by crewl1; 12-04-2012 at 01:15 AM.
12-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Received my Tele Wide vf today !

Looks like brand new ... no sign of wear or even having been used at all !
Fits like a charm ... good "optics" .... etc.

Cheers.

JP

12-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Received my Tele Wide vf today !

Looks like brand new ... no sign of wear or even having been used at all !
Fits like a charm ... good "optics" .... etc.

Cheers.

JP
Sounds like mine

Welcome to the club!
12-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sounds like mine

Welcome to the club!
Roughly what mm focal length does the tele-wide finder in the Suntar Aux lens kit cover? - Very keen now...!
12-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it is like the Yashica Tele-Wide the outer brightlines are close to the Prime 01, so 8.5mm, and the inner brightlines are close to the long end of the 02 zoom, so 15mm.

If you are OK with a little fudging then these work, but it is not an exact match.

If that is what you need you should look into the Pentax OVF which is designed to match the prime 01.

12-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Received my Tele Wide vf today ! Looks like brand new ... no sign of wear or even having been used at all ! Fits like a charm ... good "optics" .... etc. Cheers. JP
Congrats! Hitting info twice turns off the display for longer battery life.
12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sounds like mine

Welcome to the club!
Sure is great looking on the Q.
I immediately tested it and I just love having a viewfinder on the cam now ... can take shots with full sun behind my back too !

Cheers!

JP
12-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

am now on my second roll of acquiring some "accessories" for the Q .... darn !

I ordered a Gordy's strap such as this: http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/neck-sling/index.htm-- the "sling" with the attachment to the bottom of the Q.
and I later realized that I should have gotten a case as well to protect it.
(see pictures below)
Upon some searching (later), I came across this: http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RPB-1BB-Snapr-20-Black/dp/B004WDIV8E and thought "Why didn't I get this kit instead ??

So, I am now searching for a separate case which can be used pretty much the same way as shown with the BlackRapid RPB-1BB Snapr 20.
There seems to be no "separate" Snapr 20 (without the strap) unfortunately.

Anyone has any idea which (separate) case could be used the way it is hown with the Black Rapid "kit"?
I like the idea of this case/strap but I prefer the Gordy's strap .... what to do?

Suggestions welcome!

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 06:50 PM.
12-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Finally received my tripod-mountable, magnetic frame, "2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Nikon J1" from eBay seller jinfinance today, and as I suspected, it fits the Q quite nicely.
Hey Panoguy - I have a question about this nice loupe you found.

I am assuming that the frame section that attaches to the tripod socket and goes behind the LCD is a separate piece from the eye cup/finder section of the loupe. Am I understanding correctly that the eye cup/finder piece is held on to the LCD frame magnetically?

Also, with the eye cup/finder removed, with only the LCD frame attached to the camera - is this frame open to the screen or is there any kind of glass or film that would act as a screen protector?

The reason I ask - I normally do not install any LCD screen protectors on any of my cameras, but I think I am going to on the Q since I am going to use it a lot in my pocket without a case. If the frame around the LCD has a glass or plastic element in it I won't need any other screen protector.

Thanks
12-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Am I understanding correctly that the eye cup/finder piece is held on to the LCD frame magnetically?
Yep. It holds quite firmly, and has little alignment "notches" so it pretty much hits the right spot every time.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Also, with the eye cup/finder removed, with only the LCD frame attached to the camera - is this frame open to the screen or is there any kind of glass or film that would act as a screen protector?
No film or glass, just the metal frame. Honestly, it is conceivable that the metal frame could scratch the body or glass of the Q if left on all the time and banged around, so it will definitely not work as a permanent screen protector! However, there are actually quite a few models that do come with a screen protector as an attachment point. Look for "GGS viewfinder" on Amazon or eBay!
12-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Yep. It holds quite firmly, and has little alignment "notches" so it pretty much hits the right spot every time.

No film or glass, just the metal frame. Honestly, it is conceivable that the metal frame could scratch the body or glass of the Q if left on all the time and banged around, so it will definitely not work as a permanent screen protector! However, there are actually quite a few models that do come with a screen protector as an attachment point. Look for "GGS viewfinder" on Amazon or eBay!
Thanks - that answers my questions and gives me some options to think about.
12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #89
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same viewfinder that attaches to the tripod socket. I did add a thin plastic stick on screen protector to protect the screen from the metal frame as it might damage the Q screen. I have used it for a week and have not seen any damage to date.

Hans
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #90
Pentaxian

Got my tele-wide viewfinder today! It was "new in box" along with some Telesor lenses that I'll figure out what to do with someday (but the 54mm diameter is kinda oddball). The box has a dusty $54.95 price tag on it, and inside the leather case the pristine lenses still had the old crinkly-style plastic wrap around them, with the printed instructions turning yellow. The viewfinder is also basically new, but made of that old shiny plastic (the exterior and the foot) which totally doesn't go with the solidity of the Q.

The tele-wide works pretty well for me with the 01 prime (the actual 8.5mm FOV falls between the "tele" and "wide"), but it just drives me nuts with the 02 zoom. The whole viewfinder FOV isn't wide enough for the 5mm wide end (never mind the brightlines), and the "tele" brightlines are more like 10mm, nowhere near 15mm. However, it is new and very bright and will force me to leave the 02 at home (saving my back all kinds of aches, right?).

Makes me wonder if all these eBay sellers with old lens sets know why they are being snapped up? Some have figured it out ($75 tele-wides by themselves), but the shipping on this set cost more than the actual lenses. Far less than what someone at that old camera store would've paid for them off the shelf!

Last edited by panoguy; 12-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.