Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Received my Suntar/Yashica viewfinder/tele-wide lens kit yesterday. Viewfinder looks like it has never been used. So far, I only have the 02 lens; with the 06 and Q/K Pentax adapter due by the end of the week. The lines don't really line up with anything useful, or worth remembering. I am so used to SLRs that I just want to use the ovf to get a hint of a picture's composition, and to be able to see what I'm looking at in bright sunshine. Basically to know where the center of a captured image will be. I rarely shoot with the subject of interest outside the rule-of-thirds. Now, what to do with those ol' Yashica lenses? Can't be worth much. Maybe they will be a donation to a thrift store.

12-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Now, what to do with those ol' Yashica lenses? Can't be worth much. Maybe they will be a donation to a thrift store.
I think we should have a contest for "most creative re-use," since many of us now have these kicking around.

I've held them in front of the 8.5mm and they do their job pretty well (widening or tele-ing the view), but aren't very extreme. I'd also need to find a 40.5mm to 54mm step-up ring to use mine for any "real" photography.
12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #93
Pentaxian

Have to share this cute little accessory

12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

You're going to love the Manfrotto Mini-tripod. Mine never leaves my Q.

12-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You're going to love the Manfrotto Mini-tripod. Mine never leaves my Q.
Is it easy to adjust to get a level shot? I keep wondering if the front two "legs" might make it tilt to one side or another if they aren't in exactly the same position.

But hey, it's a camera support that requires a macro lens to even see it!
12-12-2012, 08:59 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Is it easy to adjust to get a level shot? I keep wondering if the front two "legs" might make it tilt to one side or another if they aren't in exactly the same position.

But hey, it's a camera support that requires a macro lens to even see it!
I don't find it much different from my regular tripod in that regard, maybe a bit more touchy but not terribly. If you're really worried put a bubble level in the hot shoe. It really does make it easy to do more in the field and its just not noticeable.
12-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #97
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I keep wondering if the front two "legs" might make it tilt to one side or another if they aren't in exactly the same position.
Plus... The lower legs will also rotate outward to widen the camera base for about 1/2 inch to the front and same to the rear. This makes the Q seem less small when hand-holding and offers a more stable platform. I use it to enhance my grip.

Expanding the base (like removing the lens cap ) is now part of my automatic set-up routine.

Works great!

Cheers...M
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Hi All,

Here's something that some might be interested in. I picked up one of these at the local Tiger Direct store because it looked like something I could use for Q system lenses.

Lowepro - Hipshot 20

It's big enough to carry either zoom + the 01 prime or the 03 FE (I don't have either of the toy lenses, so don't know). it's a tiny bit short for both zooms. It's made of neoprene with a stretchy section at the top with a locking drawstring, and it comes with a caribiner to attach to a belt loop or bag handle. With a zoom and either the 01 or 03, the length is just right, so the lenses don't have room to knock against each other, and with them cap to cap, there's little chance of damage to either lens. It makes taking two extra lenses easy and protects them either in a jacket pocket or thrown into a bag. It's also a good fit for a Q body without a lens mounted.

I paid @ $10 for mine, but have seen them on Amazon for $8.27 after the fact. I'll probably pick up another next time I'm at Tiger Direct. . .

Scott

12-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Hey Q fever folks........I have a question about a lens hood for the 02 or 06 zoom.

The Pentax branded hood is the PH-RBA 40.5 pictures here:

Pentax 40.5mm Lens Hood 38774 B&H Photo Video

Then I was looking at the JJC hood here:

Lens Hood for Pentax Q 5 15mm F2 8 4 5 Ed Al Lens as Ph SBA 40 5 | eBay

My question is does the Pentax hood mount as a bayonet fitting like more regular Pentax hoods, or is it threaded. According to the description in the B&H link it says "The hood screws onto the filter threads and clicks in place using the locking ring". I'm not really understanding that as it says it screws on and locks in place. I can't tell from the description on the JJC hood if it does the same "clicks in place using the locking ring" or not.

Any thought on this? I certainly wouldn't mind saving $25 with the JJC hood but like the sound of the Pentax one that locks in place.
12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #100
Veteran Member

The JJC hood for the 02 is a bayonet mount and can be stored in reverse just like the big boys.
Get it and be happy
12-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The JJC hood for the 02 is a bayonet mount and can be stored in reverse just like the big boys.
Get it and be happy
Well you just explained that so easily - bayonet mount, reversible - JJC it is.

Thanks!
12-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

- Extra batteries,
- Leica LTM adapter,
- 15-45 zoom,
- Viewfinder

Not quite as impressed with the new K Mount Adapter. It is very large and bulky, nothing like my LTM lens adapter. Something this big should be able to activate the autofocus on the K mount!

Still love this camera though...and the prime is certainly my most used lens.
12-14-2012, 01:04 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Get it and be happy
That's nice to know. I didn't think it was reverable. Just tried, and yup ... reversable.

I ended up getting the uWinKa hood. It is a JJC clone. It was only ~9.50 delivered to my mail box. That sure is a lot better than $40 for the Pentax one. The plastic is a bit thin and you can deflect it slightly on the flat sides. Is the Pentax and JJC like this?

Uwinka Lens Hood for Pentax Q 5 15mm F2 8 4 5 Ed Al Lens Replace Ph SBA40 5 | eBay
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
The plastic is a bit thin and you can deflect it slightly on the flat sides. Is the Pentax and JJC like this?
The JJC is similar in this respect. I have not handled the Pentax. Could be that anything sturdier would add undesirable weight.
01-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Manfrotto MP1-CO1 Pocket Tripod update 01/05/13: Another successful outing with my Q and Manfrotto MP1-CO1 Pocket Tripod! Vacation in Florida and its another instance of the little tripod being a steal of a tool at $19! Oh and leveling the camera is easier than I first thought too! The front two legs have arrows on the black plastic that align with notches on the metal moving part of the legs to align them for level surface use - something I missed until I happened to be looking closely at the bottom while trying to align them by eye. Another excellent detail but I wish they put such things in the very skimpy documentation that comes with this excellent product!