Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Q accessories are worth it?

Hey all - I find myself taking out the q and the 01 prime all the time - using it much more often than my k5. As such, it seems that a little money spent on the q system wouldn't be wasteful. So what should I consider? I don't find myself limited by the 01, so I'm not considering the 02 zoom. However, I'm interested in the circular polarizer. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to the pentax brand circular polarizer vs. going off brand... Also, does anybody have that square lens hood? I've found conflicting info, some saying it fits both the 01 and 02, but others saying it only fits the 02. What about the jinfinance k to q adapter? The only lens that I think would be useful for me (that I already own of course) is the tamron 90mm macro. Everything else I have seems silly or limited due to diffraction. Lens wise, the pending 35mm is on my list as is the fish eye. But those will have to wait until the fall. Obviously I don't need any of this stuff, but if I'm going to spend a bit on camera junk, I may as well spend it on the camera I'm using. Thanks for the advice!

06-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The fisheye is awesome fun, and cheap
06-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The fisheye is loads of fun, the 02 zoom on the other hand I almost never use.

I received the jinfinance K-Q adapter yesterday and it's great! I'm still figuring it out, but with the 5.5x crop factor, my 50M 1.7 becomes a telephoto! My Tak 135mm is almost impossible to use without a tripod and the Sigma 600mm mirror... well... it's interesting to say the least... gonna play with them more before I post anything in my PK-Q adapter thread.

I like the idea of a lens hood, and I'll probably look into a circular polarizer for the 01 prime

Pat
06-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I am waiting on my jinfinace K-Q adapter, but i expect it will be great

06-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For me, the lens hood is mostly vanity. It is square and looks cool! I have the leather case and the two won't work together. Although I do like the protective nature of the hood. Yeah - The fish eye might find its way into my camera bag sooner than I intended...
06-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

if not a sonnetar I would pick a c mount adapter and c mount lens, the kern paillards are beyond nice...
06-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #7

A thumb grip matched with the leather case looks sweet on the Q. And I totally agree with the C mount lenses. I have a few for my m4/3 setup and I got them for like 30 bucks each and the adapter was only 20. Those lenses are fun to say the least.

06-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the leather strap that came with the Pentax brand leather case. It is so small the Q will fit into my pocket without removal. I use the leather eveready case when taking the Q on the bicycle. It tucks into my recumbent jersey pocket just fine.

The "limited" style metal shade is beautiful to behold, improves picture quality, and fits in the leather case. Love it. Pentax one is pricy but worth it to me.

Will add the 5-15 zoom, pola filter, and fisheye one day. Just received the Pentax 110 lens adapter. The 18 is really cool on it. Willl post some pics at a later date.

In ultra tele mode the Q has to have a 35mm lens to Q adapter. Would never leave home w/o that and the Pentax red dot scope.

thanks
barondla
06-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinvin Quote
A thumb grip matched with the leather case looks sweet on the Q. And I totally agree with the C mount lenses. I have a few for my m4/3 setup and I got them for like 30 bucks each and the adapter was only 20. Those lenses are fun to say the least.
I bought a thumb grip, it doesnt work on the Q, way to small your thumb will cover half the screen...
06-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks - I liked the sound of the thumb grip. I'll stay away. I don't find I need it anyways.
06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Got any pics of the thumb grip?

QuoteOriginally posted by vinvin Quote
Just wondering.

Thanks,
Cameron
06-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #12

New Body Half Leather Case Pouch for PENTAX Q Camera (BROWN) - Fitted Camera Cases

Mine isn't here yet. I got it off of ebay and still waiting on shipment. I got a silver one however.
06-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The only thing that makes me seriously hesitate about these cases is the fact that they block access to both card and battery slots. The Q does need relatively frequent replacement of its the battery and having to take off the case every time seems like a nuisance?

Personally I love the lens hood on the 01 prime.

The polarizer also never comes off. It does take away some light, but the Q's excellent IQ isn't bothered much by that.

All I could really use is a nice strap. I'm currently using the wrist strap that came with my W80, but I'm looking for an alternative that would suit me better. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Wim
06-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just discovered gordy's straps. I really like the look of them and am contemplating a sling strap plus wrist strap combination for my q. I'm going to hit b and h sometime this week to pick up the polarizer. Do you use the Pentax branded model or a third party 40.5mm filter?
06-26-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

dmort, those are some nice straps!!!

I think I'll make myself one in the leather workshop in a few weeks when I go to camp with my troop.

Pat