Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I just discovered gordy's straps. I really like the look of them and am contemplating a sling strap plus wrist strap combination for my q. I'm going to hit b and h sometime this week to pick up the polarizer. Do you use the Pentax branded model or a third party 40.5mm filter?
Looks like nice straps indeed. I'll have a closer look.

The polarizer I got is indeed the Pentax branded model. I'm sure third party ones work just as fine, but I decided to go for the Pentax one nevertheless. Guess that "looks" better? Not sure there's a difference, except perhaps the assumption that the Pentax branded polarizer must work with the lens hood attached without resulting in any vignetting, which may not be guaranteed (or verifiable) in case of a third party polarizer. To be honest, the Pentax branded polarizer isn't exactly thin, so I expect the risk of vignetting with the hood on a third party polarizer is very limited.

Wim

06-26-2012, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I have a ton of gordy straps laying around, those things are nice, I got a grimm wrist strap on my Q though, its like a gordy but made in england and it uses a softer italian leather and styled less rustic looking and more modern. I would also suggest getting an OVF of some sort, I have the pentax one but you can easily find a ton of them on ebay made by leica, nikon, canon and off brands that would work just as good. It makes a huge difference if your into street shooting, especially in bright light where the auto focus works impeccably, just shut the screen off save battery life and go snapping away with the OVF...

06-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Howdy - I went to b and h today and walked out with a few things, a bubble level for the flashmount (more intended for my k5) a circular polarizer (general brand which apparently is tiffen), a heliopan metal short lens hood, and a binocular tripod adapter.

I put the lens hood on, mounted my 12x50 binos on the tripod, then, removed the rubber eye piece cover, and electrical taped the hood to the binocular eye piece. The hood is sized such that I can slide it over the eyepiece, and it is fairly snug. I doubt it could stay on its own, hence the electrical tape. Anyways, it worked nicely! I think I'll try some moon photography with this setup next week while vacationing in maine.

If anyone is wondering, I have the leather case for the q and the polarizer fits on the camera w/ no lens cap and in the case. This little hood also fits, but again, no lens cap.
06-28-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Anybody tried a Q on the Manfrotto Pocket Support Small (MP1-C01)?

I'm thinking of getting this support for my Q since the Q's a bit small for my bean bag.

Wim

06-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It looks pretty interesting - where would you use it?
06-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
It looks pretty interesting - where would you use it?
For longer exposures mainly (as far as the 2 stops ND filter and diffraction allows), but probably mostly for obligatory group shots that include myself. Looks like a great compact addition that allows propping the camera onto a slightly uneven surface.

A store told me they heard from Pentax that the Pentax branded K mount adapter may be available sometime next month, and I'm thinking of ordering this support at the same time.

Wim
06-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Apparently my jinfinance K->Q adapter has arrived today. Will take some test shots tomorrow and see what I can come up with using my various K & M42 lenses

06-29-2012, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
I am waiting on my jinfinace K-Q adapter, but i expect it will be great
That makes the Q a great fun camera if you have a bunch of K-mount lenses. Also a C-Q mount adapter is great to use with low cost fast primes.

06-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'm going to wait for the branded pentax k to q... I hope it has AF as my manual focusing skills are subpar
06-29-2012, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Well I could not wait to get to camp in a few weeks so I made my first strap/lanyard prototype for my Q with the materials I had at hand... a spare leather boot lace and some utility nylon string. The bright orange clashes a bit so I'll redo this with black, or maybe white string. I was also thinking of getting a thinner leather and braiding it (like a bracelet).

I'll also add a bead to this prototype to cinch the strap on my wrist.

I had not made lanyards in years but I think other than the funky color this one tuned out not too badly for a prototype.

Pat
06-29-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it suits the q nicely!
06-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ve2vfd, the lanyard looks great. You did a swell job. Agree that you need to add a bead to allow adjustment.
thanks
barondla
06-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks dmort and barondla, I really wish I could find silver utility string, the black and silver would match with the Q's black body and silver lens.

I might make an instructable on how to make one of those... it's so easy (plus it's a great occasion to practice product photography ). I think I'll go check out what supplies are available at the craft store at the mall.

Pat
06-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instructions would be cool! A neat little project. Have built some electronic kits. The saying there is "it has a life time guarantee since you are the builder".
thanks
barondla
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I bought a thumb grip, it doesnt work on the Q, way to small your thumb will cover half the screen...
My thumb grip just came a few days ago since I ordered it while I was in HK. I think it works great for me... no screen coverage over here...