Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a high quality LCDVF for the Q

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently acquired a low-end LCD VF and, with a bit of fiddling with the mount, it works but it's quite flimsy. The frame which attaches to the body is rather soft and bends easily in every direction, especially away from the LCD. The magnets which hold the two pieces together fall out easily, I had to super-glue them in place.

What I would like to find is a high quality LCDVF, one that would fit snugly over the Q's LCD screen, would not wobble on the frame, and would have much better optics in the eye piece. I see lots of LCDVFs online but many do not show the inside and outside dimensions of the metal frame that goes around the LCD.

I measured the LCD on the Q and it is approximately 63x43mm on the inside and 68x48mm on the outside.

I am hoping that someone has done the hard work on this and can recommend a nice LCDVF for the Q.

Thanks!

01-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hehe I think I ordered the same one. Still waiting for mine to arrive.
I think someone here has a Hoodman which seem like better quality.
01-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Looking for a high quality LCDVF for the Q
I read on another forum about this viewfinder:

VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

Swivi HD DSLR LCD Universal Foldable Viewfinder Version II SWIVI

From what I read on another forum, this one will work but since the Q is so small, at the smallest hight adjustment, a little bit of the bottom view of the LCD is blocked. A suggestion was to add a plate to the bottom of the Q first that has a 1/4" tripod thread on it therefore making the adjustment of the height work with the little Q. Not necessarily this plate, but to illustrate what I am talking about:

Camera Tripod Quick Release Plate w Arca Swiss Dovetail 63mm with Low 2 3 Fence | eBay

I had a look at the plates I have already and one of them does have the 1/4" thread on it already.

Another suggestion for one that has been tested by one of our members:

Jinfinance (eBay) 2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Pentax Q/ Nikon J1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
01-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought that one too. It was $18 on eBay, though. :-/

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Looks like the same one as the loupe on Amazon.

01-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #110

Just ordered from meritline, hope it is decent... $15.49, free shipping but ships directly from China - 2-3 weeks shipping.

V5 LCD Viewfinder 2.8x3" Magnifier Eyecup Hood for Nikon 1
LCD Viewfinder, V5 LCD Viewfinder 2.8x3" Magnifier Eyecup Hood for Nikon 1 | Meritline.com
01-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #111
Banned

Photos: Albums
For the Q "what accessories are worth it", my vote would be on the PK lens adapter - especially given the focal length multiplier.
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flylow7f39 Quote
Just ordered from meritline, hope it is decent... $15.49, free shipping but ships directly from China - 2-3 weeks shipping.

If my experience is any indication, you'll probably get it much quicker -- most of the stuff I've ordered from China gets here (Chicago 'burbs) in a week to ten days.

Scott

01-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #113

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
If my experience is any indication, you'll probably get it much quicker -- most of the stuff I've ordered from China gets here (Chicago 'burbs) in a week to ten days.

Scott
Usually takes around 10 to 14 days here on the West coast from my personal past experiences.
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read on another forum about this viewfinder:

VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store

Swivi HD DSLR LCD Universal Foldable Viewfinder Version II SWIVI

From what I read on another forum, this one will work but since the Q is so small, at the smallest hight adjustment, a little bit of the bottom view of the LCD is blocked. A suggestion was to add a plate to the bottom of the Q first that has a 1/4" tripod thread on it therefore making the adjustment of the height work with the little Q. Not necessarily this plate, but to illustrate what I am talking about:

Camera Tripod Quick Release Plate w Arca Swiss Dovetail 63mm with Low 2 3 Fence | eBay

I had a look at the plates I have already and one of them does have the 1/4" thread on it already.

Jinfinance (eBay) 2.8x LCD Viewfinder Loupe for Pentax Q/ Nikon J1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Stan,

Thanks a bunch for the info about the VF-3, I think the solution with the small extra plate will do the trick for me if the VF 'tube' otherwise fits the LCD. I emailed the vendor to confirm the dimensions of the VF where it contacts the LCD.

Andy
01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Stan,

Thanks a bunch for the info about the VF-3, I think the solution with the small extra plate will do the trick for me if the VF 'tube' otherwise fits the LCD. I emailed the vendor to confirm the dimensions of the VF where it contacts the LCD.

Andy
You're welcome. This viewfinder came to my attention a couple days ago when they had a special on it for $99 shipped (now $129 shipped). I almost pulled the trigger, but for my use I don't know if I really need on since I will only use my Q on a tripod with the long lenses.

Please update us with your findings.
01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read on another forum about this viewfinder: VF-3 Universal LCD View Finder by Carry Speed | Carry Speed Store Swivi HD DSLR LCD Universal Foldable Viewfinder Version II SWIVI From what I read on another forum, this one will work but since the Q is so small, at the smallest hight adjustment, a little bit of the bottom view of the LCD is blocked. A suggestion was to add a plate to the bottom of the Q first that has a 1/4" tripod thread on it therefore making the adjustment of the height work with the little Q.
That looks like an interesting VF option. I tried a standard Arca Swiss compatible plate on the bottom of the Q but it hits the Pentax K-Q adapter so you will need a spacer plate of some sort with that adapter, just can't be as wide as an Arca Swiss plate.
It may fit better with the Fotodiox or RJ adapters.
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
That looks like an interesting VF option. I tried a standard Arca Swiss compatible plate on the bottom of the Q but it hits the Pentax K-Q adapter so you will need a spacer plate of some sort with that adapter, just can't be as wide as an Arca Swiss plate.
It may fit better with the Fotodiox or RJ adapters.

Sounds like some custom mill work....a spacer plate that is no wider than the Q body is what is needed.. or, I wonder what would be involved with modifying the vertical adjustment of the viewfinder?
01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Reply from CarrySpeed CustomerService

Asked CarrySpeed CustomerService <carryspeed@gmail.com> if the VF-3 would fit OK on the Q, their answer, after consulting with their technical people:

"Dear Customer,
Thanks for your reply mail.
We are sorry to inform you that VF-3 not be fit your camera.
Thank you."

Just fyi.
01-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Asked CarrySpeed CustomerService <carryspeed@gmail.com> if the VF-3 would fit OK on the Q, their answer, after consulting with their technical people:

"Dear Customer,
Thanks for your reply mail.
We are sorry to inform you that VF-3 not be fit your camera.
Thank you."

Just fyi.
That is because of the height adjustment of the viewfinder not being enough for the small Q. If you read my previous post #108 above I addressed this. They will of course say that it will not fit the Q because it won't without some type of modification.
01-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is because of the height adjustment of the viewfinder not being enough for the small Q. If you read my previous post #108 above I addressed this. They will of course say that it will not fit the Q because it won't without some type of modification.
Right, I knew that. Even before they came back with an answer, I'd already purchased the VF-3 from ebay for around $100. Now just waiting for the mail..