Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
Right, I knew that. Even before they came back with an answer, I'd already purchased the VF-3 from ebay for around $100. Now just waiting for the mail..
Please let us know how you make out with it. I've looked at a couple different types and this one looked like the best quality and features. I'm sure someone can come up with a good modification to make it work.

I'm not sure if I am going to need one or not until later in the spring when I am out using the Q on my tripod.

01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are looking for an Arca Swiss QR plate that fits the Q, snostorm found one that is about the thickness of the Q body. It is made & sold by hejnar on ebay. Think it was #10 if memory serves.
Has anyone tried using a larger lcd hooked to their Q? Can't wait to see what you guys think of the finders.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 01-23-2013 at 09:29 PM.
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
If you are looking for an Arca Swiss QR plate that fits the Q, snostorm found one that is about the thickness of the Q body. It is made & sold by hejner on ebay. Think it was #10 if memory serves.
Has anyone tried using a larger lcd hooked to their Q? Can't wait to see what you guys think of the finders.
thanks
barondla
For reference sake, here is Hejnar's website which has all the exact dimensions of his equipment:

Hejnar Photo Store, Serving Your Professional Photography Needs
01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #124
Veteran Member

I have one of these LCD finders on the way thanks to a nice deal from an upstanding forum member:

I checked my arca-swiss plates, and I do have a smaller one that has a 1/4" female thread in the bottom. I will try that one first to see how it works, then take it from there for any other modifications I might need.

I decided that although I don't need this now since most of my shooting has been inside looking out because it is winter, once I get outside in the spring this will be a big plus when shooting in the sunlight.

Also since it is easily removed, I can possibly see a use on my K-5 also.

01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Hi any grips around for the Q?almost too small for my hands, or maybe a good case
01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A crosspost from another thread that simply ran away from my question (more interesting info showed up ).
I've sent mail's to Swedish stores but the Pentax red dots you guys use seem to be impossible to get here. Though I got one mail back for a similar product from Konus. What do you guys think? Konus Pro Optical & Sports Systems
Sadly I get to pay about the double or more of the American Pentax Red Dot sight, but what to do about it?
01-15-2013, 12:12 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arca-Swiss Quick Release Plate by Cowboystudio

I wonder if this plate would work OK as spacer between the Q body and the VF-3 LCDVF.

I spent a good 20 minutes on the Hejnar website but could not for the life of me figure out which plate from their inventory might be suitable for this..

** Added later: I just saw this thread on the other forum, and it seems the Cowboystudio plate works OK.

Last edited by akptc; 01-15-2013 at 12:23 AM.
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #128

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder Hood Review

QuoteOriginally posted by flylow7f39 Quote
Just ordered from meritline, hope it is decent... $15.49, free shipping but ships directly from China - 2-3 weeks shipping.

V5 LCD Viewfinder 2.8x3" Magnifier Eyecup Hood for Nikon 1
LCD Viewfinder, V5 LCD Viewfinder 2.8x3" Magnifier Eyecup Hood for Nikon 1 | Meritline.com
Received mine today. Got it off ebay for 13.49 shipped. It's actually very good. It's a tiny bit off of the screen from side to side but not far enough to be of any real consequence, maybe 1 or 2mm. It also just touches the left edge of the buttons making them a little hard to get to but not bad.

It doesn't have a diopter adjustment. I thought this might be a problem and was going to figure out a way around it when it arrived. I have to adjust all my SLRs to see sharp. My worries were unfounded though. It makes the display big and bright and it's plenty sharp as is. Manual focus is way easier. And hand holding an adapted lens is easier too with having the camera up to your eye.

The only problem I had was one of the magnets that hold the shade to the screen came out. Two drops of super glue fixed that.

All in all I'd highly recommend this hood especially at the price.
01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Currently: Pentax Q & 01 Prime, TOMA leather half-case, Yashica WIDE/TELE VF, two spare Fuji NP-50 batteries

Have a Navitar 25mm f/0.95 C-mount + adapter in the mail (:
01-24-2013, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by post_eos Quote
Received mine today. Got it off ebay for 13.49 shipped. It's actually very good. It's a tiny bit off of the screen from side to side but not far enough to be of any real consequence, maybe 1 or 2mm. It also just touches the left edge of the buttons making them a little hard to get to but not bad.

It doesn't have a diopter adjustment. I thought this might be a problem and was going to figure out a way around it when it arrived. I have to adjust all my SLRs to see sharp. My worries were unfounded though. It makes the display big and bright and it's plenty sharp as is. Manual focus is way easier. And hand holding an adapted lens is easier too with having the camera up to your eye.

The only problem I had was one of the magnets that hold the shade to the screen came out. Two drops of super glue fixed that.

All in all I'd highly recommend this hood especially at the price.
Post, I did this mod to mine and it now sits properly away from the buttons about 3mm. I used a drill bit.
01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Currently: Pentax Q & 01 Prime, TOMA leather half-case, Yashica WIDE/TELE VF, two spare Fuji NP-50 batteries Have a Navitar 25mm f/0.95 C-mount + adapter in the mail (:
That is a classy looking setup
These straps may match your look http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/
01-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
These straps may match your look gordy's camera straps
Got my Gordy strap in the mail today, very nice.
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #133

Photos: Albums
Post, I did this mod to mine and it now sits properly away from the buttons about 3mm. I used a drill bit.
Thanks, especially for the picture. I'll be doing the same to mine now.
01-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Currently: Pentax Q & 01 Prime, TOMA leather half-case, Yashica WIDE/TELE VF, two spare Fuji NP-50 batteries

Terrific looking leather case. May I ask where you got it?
01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #135
Veteran Member

It looks wonderful!
These straps may match your look http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/
I think I will make my own leather strap. I haven't tried any leatherworking in years but it's pretty easy and really fun!