Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
G'Day Arnold,

In your other post you said this was an 80-200?

Vivitar only had one 70-200, an F3.8 made by Bauer (first two digits of serial no. were 42).

They had 5 80-200's.

An F4 made by Kobori (77)
An F4.5 made by Bauer (42)
An F4.5 made by Kobori (77)
An F4.4 made by Kiron (22)
An F4.5 made by Komine (28)

Could you clarify the id of this lens?

Thanks,
My mistake. It is an 80-200 Macro Zoom f4.5 with a 55mm filter S/N 77227526

03-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #167
Forum Member

Love this case...

I picked up a LowePro Edit 100 at one of the CompUSA liquidation sales a few years back, and it's been about a perfect match for the Q:

* The Q fits inside as if the bag were made for it.
* There's room for a second layer underneath, which is a near-perfect fit for the 02 Zoom, a couple of batteries, and a couple of cine lenses. In the future, I might drop the 02 for a few more cine lenses.
* Side pockets are the perfect size for C- and D-mount adapters, or another battery.
* Front pocket holds a GorillaPod Micro and a couple of memory cards, plus an SD card reader.
* Loops on the back are a great place to hang carbiners, which can then hold a mini-tripod (my current carry-with is the Ultrapod II) and a separate cine lens case.

All in all, a pretty complete kit in a very small and light space - one of the things I love best about the Q.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
DMC-GX1  Photo 
03-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just got lucky and ended my Red Dot Sight problem! A sport and outdoor store hit the bottom (they just opened here, but other stores in the chain went bancroupt) and had a 50% sale on everything. To my surprise I found a GAMO Quick Shot 30 mm Red Dot and I got the last copy! I've ordered the hotshoe adapter now as the sight seems to work really well.
03-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Just got lucky and ended my Red Dot Sight problem! A sport and outdoor store hit the bottom (they just opened here, but other stores in the chain went bancroupt) and had a 50% sale on everything. To my surprise I found a GAMO Quick Shot 30 mm Red Dot and I got the last copy! I've ordered the hotshoe adapter now as the sight seems to work really well.
Good deal! Let us know how it goes.

03-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #170
Veteran Member

I'll try it on the K-5 too and maybe finally capture birds in flight, which I suck at. :P
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #171

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I have one of these LCD finders on the way thanks to a nice deal from an upstanding forum member:

I checked my arca-swiss plates, and I do have a smaller one that has a 1/4" female thread in the bottom. I will try that one first to see how it works, then take it from there for any other modifications I might need.

I decided that although I don't need this now since most of my shooting has been inside looking out because it is winter, once I get outside in the spring this will be a big plus when shooting in the sunlight.

Also since it is easily removed, I can possibly see a use on my K-5 also.
Just received a Speed Carry FV-3 for use on my Q; instead of adding a spacer on the tripod mount to allow entire lcd viewing, just loosen and slide the hood unit off the frame, flip it so that the hinge is on the bottom, and slide the hood back into the frame. You should be able to see the entire screen easily. Remember to pop off and rotate the rubber hood too.
04-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lifepix1 Quote
Just received a Speed Carry FV-3 for use on my Q; instead of adding a spacer on the tripod mount to allow entire lcd viewing, just loosen and slide the hood unit off the frame, flip it so that the hinge is on the bottom, and slide the hood back into the frame. You should be able to see the entire screen easily. Remember to pop off and rotate the rubber hood too.
Sounded like a great idea so I tried it on my Q. For me it won't work with the Fotodiox lens adapter installed. The mounting plate on the bottom of the camera hits the lens adapter well before the viewfinder is anywhere close to the screen.

When mounted that way, the viewfinder is at least 1/2" away from the LCD screen.

04-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #173

Hi everyone,
I'm new here, just scored an 18 something set of yashica viewfinder and 2 lenses but I had a hard time to adjust Tele view to Prime lens. Could anyone share their experience, what mode did you use for AF?
Thanks,
Jack.
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #174
Forum Member

Some accessories not mentioned here before

There are inexpensive plastic bayonet body and rear lens caps for the Q available on ebay which work very nicely.

Pentax K-AC 115 AC Adapter from Adorama or B&H

I posted this in another Pentax forum, but thought it might be of interest to some here that might not have seen it:

I just acquired a Manfrotto ML 120 Pocket LED Light (not a flash), and have found it to be an ideal lightweight small light for the Q. First impressions are that it covers the field of the 03 wide angle lens and is tall enough that it does not throw a shadow with either of the zooms. It would best as a fill light or as a main light for closeups. It is inexpensive, as it can be found from a few sellers on the internet for less than $40.

This photo was taken hand held with another Q body and the O2 standard Zoom in existing light indoors and sharpened and cropped slightly in PSE.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
04-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by penolta Quote
There are inexpensive plastic bayonet body and rear lens caps for the Q available on ebay which work very nicely.

I posted this in another Pentax forum, but thought it might be of interest to some here that might not have seen it:

I just acquired a Manfrotto ML 120 Pocket LED Light (not a flash), and have found it to be an ideal lightweight small light for the Q. First impressions are that it covers the field of the 03 wide angle lens and is tall enough that it does not throw a shadow with either of the zooms. It would best as a fill light or as a main light for closeups. It is inexpensive, as it can be found from a few sellers on the internet for less than $40.

This photo was taken hand held with another Q body and the O2 standard Zoom in existing light indoors and sharpened and cropped slightly in PSE.
Interesting. Of the known sellers Adorama has it for $43 and change, and BestBuy has it for $40 - each with free shipping in the US.
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by echineon Quote
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, just scored an 18 something set of yashica viewfinder and 2 lenses but I had a hard time to adjust Tele view to Prime lens. Could anyone share their experience, what mode did you use for AF?
Thanks,
Jack.
What do you mean exactly?
The Tele-wide viewer is the only part of that kit I would use, the lenses themselves are too large and heavy to try to mount in front of the Q lenses.
The viewer has two brightlines, the outer one should correspond to the 01 prime field of view.
It should have a mount to allow you to slide into the hotshoe.
Make sure you don't have it in backwards. The side with the visible bright line mask should be to the rear.
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by penolta Quote

Found this light on Amazon for $38 with free shipping but the reviews list it as being not dimmable despite the misleading description. Was interested but it's a bit pricey without that feature. Just bought a larger Neewer led for less money and it is dimmable. Really like the Neewer for my K-01 and T3i.
04-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #178
Inactive Account

I got the uWinka lens hood for the 01 lens. Fits great and is much cheaper than the Pentax hood.
04-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #179

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
What do you mean exactly?
The Tele-wide viewer is the only part of that kit I would use, the lenses themselves are too large and heavy to try to mount in front of the Q lenses.
The viewer has two brightlines, the outer one should correspond to the 01 prime field of view.
It should have a mount to allow you to slide into the hotshoe.
Make sure you don't have it in backwards. The side with the visible bright line mask should be to the rear.
Thanks, sorry about the confusion with AF part. Because I used spot (not trace or any other mode) so the camera only focuses whatever is in the dead center so when I tried to use the wide view with my RIGHT eye, it was off-centered so that means my picture was off-focused. Don't know why but using my left eye fixed the problem for me. Wonder if anyone had the same problem...

Jack
04-18-2013, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by echineon Quote
Don't know why but using my left eye fixed the problem for me. Wonder if anyone had the same problem... Jack
Jack: It is likely you, as am I, are left-eye dominant. Point your finger directly at an object far away (too close and this doesn't work. Close one eye. Open it and close the other eye. It will appear for your dominant eye that your finger is still pointed at the object. For the submissive eye your finger will appear not to be pointed at the object.

Cameras are generaly built for right-eye dominant people (so their noses don't get in the way and they can shoot both-eyes-open and see action coming into then frame).