Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #181

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sounded like a great idea so I tried it on my Q. For me it won't work with the Fotodiox lens adapter installed. The mounting plate on the bottom of the camera hits the lens adapter well before the viewfinder is anywhere close to the screen.

When mounted that way, the viewfinder is at least 1/2" away from the LCD screen.
I also just received a Carry Speed Swivi VF3.

1) It mounts without any issues on the K-01. (the mounting plate has about 2cm overhang on the left due to the K-01's tripod socket location.)

2) I configured the VF3 "upside down" to mount on the Q.

I can confirm that when the VF3 is configured "upside down" it mounts on the Q and the entire LCD can be seen. This works very well with the 01, 02, and 06 lenses. Mounted with the 06 zoom, there was no sense of added weight. This is probably due the the weight of the VF3 mounting plate being in the same location as the center of mass of the Q. The balance is superb.

I can also confirm that it will not allow the Pentax OEM K to Q adapter to fit. With the K to Q adapter, a spacer will still be needed.

04-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #182

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Jack: It is likely you, as am I, are left-eye dominant. Point your finger directly at an object far away (too close and this doesn't work. Close one eye. Open it and close the other eye. It will appear for your dominant eye that your finger is still pointed at the object. For the submissive eye your finger will appear not to be pointed at the object.

Cameras are generaly built for right-eye dominant people (so their noses don't get in the way and they can shoot both-eyes-open and see action coming into then frame).
Thanks for the heads up monochrome. That explains it! Never thought of it this way, but no wonder my right eye gets tired real quick if I shoot with the VF. First time used this hotshoe viewfinder tho. In regards to the nose poking at the camera, I actually prefer my nose sticking to the right so the LCD won't get all foggy from those breathes. Cheers,
Jack.
04-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #183
Inactive Account

The Pentax Q with my old Tair 3 s.Greetings.
04-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #184
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by accupower7 Quote
The Pentax Q with my old Tair 3 s.Greetings.
eda Fotofreunde

06-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Jack: It is likely you, as am I, are left-eye dominant. Point your finger directly at an object far away (too close and this doesn't work. Close one eye. Open it and close the other eye. It will appear for your dominant eye that your finger is still pointed at the object. For the submissive eye your finger will appear not to be pointed at the object.

Cameras are generaly built for right-eye dominant people (so their noses don't get in the way and they can shoot both-eyes-open and see action coming into then frame).
Holy *********balls I had no idea about that. I'm going to be super-observant of other people when they're shooting with their cameras now.

Also, I am left-eye dominant.
06-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PenTX Quote
I have a shameful secret. I really like using $1.00 Nintendo Wii wrist straps on small cameras. They are fully adjustable and work really, really well.

Link.
BOO YAH!

I have been looking all over for official Wii-mote straps. Randomly browsing the forums for hours at work for the win! Figures I should have checked the actual Nintendo website for it though.

I got a Wii back in Uni when they first came out. Mad fun. The first wrist straps they had though were crap. You may all remember reports of people flinging their Wii-motes into their fancy TV's because their wrist straps broke.

Nintendo decided to give people better, thicker straps for free, and those were much much better. These are probably the same ones, since I can't imagine they would sell the old inferior ones.

Anyhoo just ordered 4 since it's so cheap anyways. I would have paid something like $5-$10 for each one (but then I wouldn't have ordered 4. Maybe 2, or 3 so I have a backup).
06-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oeriies Quote
It is labeled "Petri Tele-Wide Finder". It looks very much like the Yashica's I've seen pictured on the forum, i.e., black circle with yellow glass and etched "T" and "W" frames within the viewfinder. It is bright. The color cast is a bit different than what you see through the LCD, almost like a polarizer effect. At a distance of about 15' the 02 lens FOV at its widest (5mm) is wider than the "W" frame in the viewfinder -- in fact slightly wider than what can be seen in the viewfinder at all. At the same distance, the FOV of the 02 lens at its longest (15mm) is close to what you see within the "T" frame in the viewfinder.
I have the Petri Tele-Wide Finder as well, but I don't have an 02 zoom. I use it with an 01 prime, and it matches beautifully. The camera the OVF originally came with had a 45mm lens, close enough to the 47mm equivalent 01 that I can't see the difference. It lines up perfectly with the outer set of lines, at any subject distance.

I use a Wii wrist strap. The rest of my Q kit is the 03 fisheye, 06 zoom and a couple of off-brand Q to K adapters, one with aperture control, one without.

I had a Pentax adapter but it wasn't worth the cost for me. I'm not thrilled with the softness and CA you get with a K-lens. I bought a cheap adapter with aperture control because it didn't seem right not to have one to go with my DA*300. I bought the non-aperture version to go with an A 135mm f2.8, because I kept accidentally moving the adapter's aperture ring, which ruined some shots. I expected the non-aperture version to not have a tripod mount, which would have been more ergonomic for hand-holding but unfortunately it has one. I may cut it off.

Last edited by audiobomber; 06-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
06-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Does the Ricoh GR Cable switch (CA-2) compatible to our Q? it has the same plug. micro usb.
06-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #189
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Holy *********balls I had no idea about that. I'm going to be super-observant of other people when they're shooting with their cameras now.

Also, I am left-eye dominant.
Eye dominance is not as simple as that.
I am a target archer, and by all the standard tests I am most definitely right eye dominant for sighting distant objects. When I put a camera to my eye thogh, I instinctively go for the left eye. There is no doubt it would be better to use a camera viewfinder with the right, and I can train myself to switch, and even shoot with both eyes open (as I do for archery).
Funny how the brain works. Or my brain at least
07-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #190

CPL Circular Polarizing Filter

CPL Circular Polarizing Filter is the best filter! It helps to control the reflections!
Attached Images

12-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #191
Veteran Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I picked up my Q exactly a week ago and have been busy learning the ins and outs of this little camera and finding excuses to buy accessories along the way. So much so that I spent the entire weekend reading through all 13 pages and checking out links that everyone "helpfully" provided.

This was in an effort to distract myself from pulling the trigger on the pentax k-q adapter (which after shipping would cost close to the same as my entire Q set).

So I have now spent quite a bit of small change on:

Neoprene Cases for my 01, 02 and Q.

5 PCS Neoprene DSLR Camera Lens Pouch Case BAG S M L XL XXL FOR Canon Nikon Sony | eBay
Camera Shoulder Lens Pouch Case Cover BAG Waterproof FOR Canon Nikon Sony HP | eBay
Camera Shoulder Lens Pouch Case Cover BAG Waterproof FOR Canon Nikon Sony CM | eBay

I had to get them from three different sellers as I was on a price hunt, and despite listings saying 's' the measurements were all different. And in one case, the S size was actually more expensive than the M (!). Don't know what that was about...

I currently have no bag solution for the Q kit, so I figure these neoprene cases will ensure they don't rattle around and hurt themselves wherever I decide to put them (handbag, nappy bag, etc). My Q came with a leather case but it drives me batty that I have to unscrew it (it attaches on the bottom with a tripod screw) to get access to the battery and sd card.

Lens Hoods

Dedicated HB N103 Lens Hood FOR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10 30mm F 3 5 5 6 Lens 40 5mm | eBay
and the applecolour one, which I seem to have misplaced the link to. Will add it when i find it

I am noticing a number of my shots are lacking in contrast and think perhaps the lack of a hood is to blame.

SD card

Maxflash 8GB Class 10 Micro SD Camera Memory Card Compatible With Most Brands | eBay

Also picked up another class 10 sd card, as the RAW buffer is driving me batty, and I figure having a fast card might speed things up a little. Perhaps someone will chime in and say otherwise. But for $5.50 I figure I can't really go wrong.........

Spare Batteries

TWO DLI68 Battery Pack FOR Pentax Optio S10 A40 S12 | eBay

Am chewing through my Pentax battery - have to recharge every day to day and a half, depending on how much I shoot, so will appreciate the backups when they arrive.

K-Q adapter

Mount Adapter Ring FOR Pentax PK K Lens Lens TO Pentax Q Q7 Q10 Camera | eBay

Just picked the cheapest one I could find. Most of my lenses are manual, so they all have their own aperture ring. This one doesn't have a tripod mount but I figure if handholding is really going to be an issue I can perhaps find a tripod ring for the mount itself? No idea. Considering I already own the 01 and 02, and they are doing their job for every day shots of my wolfiepup, birding is going to be the next thing (if I ever really get into it). So I'm telling myself the cheapest k-q adapter will help me decide if I really want to splurge the big bucks on the Pentax adapter.

Still on the wishlist/to acquire list

Strap
I am still on the hunt for a strap. The neck strap isn't really working for me, and I've already dropped the Q (!) once. So I need a solution. Either a sling one, so that it's long enough to sit diagonally across my body, or a wrist strap. Not sure abt shipping to Australia for those wii ones that everyone was raving about. But in the meantime I have found these: 2 x Adjustable Leather Wrist Hand Strap for Camera Canon Nikon Sony Hand Grip | eBay which look quite nice and simple. There's a slew of really nice stuff on etsy as well but a little out of my budget ($15-$30 range) made from leather. I didn't like the look of the gordy straps. A bit too ... manly for me.

Bag
Need something to house it all. I have a few camera bags but they are all designed for a proper dslr size. Unless I choose to make a few of my lenses dedicated Q lenses, my Q kit will just rattle around in these bags. So far nothing I've seen (i.e. the stuff you guys have posted) really appeal to me. So am holding out until I find something that I like. Nothing urgent. I have a smaller bag that I can put everything in once the neoprene cases arrive. But that's just a stop gap solution until the 'right' one comes along.

And... I think that's all.

Am toying with eventually getting a cute little flash. But that's waaay in the future assuming I will even use it, considering I don't even own one for my other dslrs.

Phew! Can you tell I've been bitten by GAS?

I guess now isn't a good time to ask, but ... is there anything else I should get? *wallet winces in anticipation*
12-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Wolfiegirl. This bag is tiny, just wide enough to fit the Q, and deep enough to accommodate a mounted zoom. I store two lenses below the camera. It's a very appealing looking and well made little case, amazing value.
Y648 Digital Camera Bag for Pentax K 01 VS20 RZ18 Q RS1500 S1 WG 1 RS1000 RZ10 | eBay
12-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nintendo Wii remote straps are excellent on my Q cameras.
You should be able to find them cheap on eBay.
12-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Also picked up another class 10 sd card, as the RAW buffer is driving me batty, and I figure having a fast card might speed things up a little. Perhaps someone will chime in and say otherwise. But for $5.50 I figure I can't really go wrong.........
I'll take up the hard task of disappointing you here. The Q is slow with any card.

And you can go wrong with cheap SD cards off ebay, they can eat your photos. (Either losing earlier data if you try to fill them too much, or just failing completely.)
12-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I'll take up the hard task of disappointing you here. The Q is slow with any card.

And you can go wrong with cheap SD cards off ebay, they can eat your photos. (Either losing earlier data if you try to fill them too much, or just failing completely.)

Well in that case, $5.50 isn't too much to throw into the ocean. The feedback seemed ok from those who had purchased before. Let's hope I don't get a lemon.

That really sucks about the buffering rate. I'm using the Q essentially as a dedicated wolfiepup camera. Considering how fast she moves I need something that will capture the movement. JPG works and they shoot fast, but I notice the the quality just doesn't seem as good as the RAW pics. That or it's simply user error on my part.