Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So m4/3 with the standard lens is more compact then the Nikon 1 with the standard lens and smaller sensor...
Out of those 4 cameras, the NEX-5n easily wins and by a long shot far having the best sensor - no contest, not even close!

The Nikon 1 (J1 and V1) easily win easily and by a long shot for having the fasted AF, the best tracking, the biggest buffer and processer - no contest not, even close!

And the Pentax Q is by far the lightest, most compact and pocket-able of all of the above - no contest, not even close!

So what it all comes down to, is what are your priorities... what do you want from a camera? They are all different and there is no end-all be-all.

06-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

And m4/3 is the best blend of all of those.
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northislander Quote
really love shooting with the Q but when I look side by side with my K5 as much fun as the Q is, size matters if your really after that sharp look
You are right there, I also have the K5 (with DA*'s) and the Q and they simply does not compare... but when I got my Q I knew very well what I was getting.

When I bought the Q I was buying into "the smallest" mirror-less, not the one with the sharpest, best quality pics. I knew there was no way I'd get k5d quality out of a sensor a fraction it's size. Instead I have a camera smaller than any other mirror-less and most point and shoots with much better quality than any P/S. The result is that I now have a camera I ALWAYS have with me. I'd love to be able to always have my K5d and DA*'s with me, but that's just not possible... the Q on the other hand makes always having a decent camera on me possible.

As for the original topic pf this thread, I'm not sure they could fit in a larger sensor in a Q sized camera - and make no mistake about it, the Q's size is a HUGE part of what makes it such a great camera - but at the rate sensors evolve, I have no doubt that soon enough they'll make a Q sized sensor as good as the current K5d one.

Pat
06-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #19
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
And m4/3 is the best blend of all of those.
No, it is the red-headed stepchild; but to it's credit, it has found much sympathy for being what it is.

Seriously, whatever works for you. I chose the NEX and have supplemented it with a V1. I tried a Q and it was a blast, but I found the LCD wasn't much good in day light, never mind direct sun. Last night on impulse I picked up an Olympus XZ-1 for $300 - but is it a keeper?? I do not know - time will tell. Between the NEX and V1 I have retired my DSLRs. These two cameras rock my world and are exceptionally good at what they do best.

06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I love the Q and I feel it goes perfect with my K-01, when ever i go out with my k-01 I always bring my Q with one lens... Just need to get a K to Q adapter to fully take advantage of the Q... I would love a new Q, but this time with a swivel screen, focus peaking, and a more customizable front dial... And for god sake the wide angle already, with a minimum f/4 and with an OVF, that last one I'm hoping... that would make my Q system so complete, I'd pocket the whole system in my shorts in the summer and my jacket in the winter...
06-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bmonki, agree on most of your post. More settings on front dial and focus peaking should be easy to do (maybe even in firmware). Swivel screen would be harder and might make the Q larger.

If you want a wideangle what is wrong with the 5-15 zoom? Is it the image quality at 5mm or the size? Should be plenty of choices for a wide optical viewfinder ( Leica, Voightlander, old Yashica, etc). I would love a pancake for this camera. Have been trying K-01. It does seem to match the Q well.
thanks
barondla