Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can we push Q2 to be weather resistant?

Pentax/RICOH has skills to that.
They can call it Q2W. I think it would it that form factor be very successful camera.

Last edited by i83N; 06-29-2012 at 06:05 AM.
06-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add powered zooming to that list and I'll be sold!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You can always ask the question, though it needs to reach Japan, and since most contacts we have with Pentax are in marketing and sales departments outside Japan, one must realize that the message may not necessarily reach its destination in a timely fashion.

Whether a WR version of the Q would be practical is obvious to me. Actually it's Pentax's dedication to weather sealing that is the most convincing argument for me that I made the right choice when I decided to stay with the brand. So if you ask me would I like the Q to be weather sealed, my answer will be a resounding YES!

However, the Q being an interchangeable lens camera means that a weather sealed body should be accompanied by equally weather sealed lenses. This makes for a complete reinvestment in the system for current users if they want weather sealing. I'm not sure I want to invest twice in a system like the Q... It wasn't cheap to start with, and weather sealing will not make it any cheaper... After all, it's still "just" a small sensor camera, regardless how well it performs in its league.

Wim
06-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Add powered zooming to that list and I'll be sold!
Like my PZ-1p!

As for WR in a Pentax small-sensor compact, my guess is that the powers-that-be in Japan think the WG-series checks that box already. Interchangeable lenses presents a problem for a WR body (as stated above), and making tiny WR lenses wouldn't be cheap. My hope is that the "QE2" has a larger sensor...

06-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
However, the Q being an interchangeable lens camera means that a weather sealed body should be accompanied by equally weather sealed lenses.
No, actually they need only one or two; one zoom WR and one fix WR. All "old" Q system lens will work fine.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
My hope is that the "QE2" has a larger sensor...
Larger sensor will not work with Q system lens. Itís easier to get better IQ small sensor.
06-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
No, actually they need only one or two; one zoom WR and one fix WR. All "old" Q system lens will work fine.
Of course, but upgrading to a WR Q body doesn't make *as* much sense if you don't buy a WR lens to go with it, hence personally, I would feel required to make the additional investment to be able to exploit the WR capability.

To be honest, I think I would rather see a wide and longer prime (not a toy lens) added to the Q system than see the constant rehashing of a standard zoom, similar to the way Pentax has filled in its new lens announcements with seemingly endless variations on the DA18-55...

Wim
06-29-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Funny, you start your sentence with "no" but immediately contradict that with "yes, they would need a WR lens (or two) to go with it."
So, does that mean you also agree that a larger sensor would improve IQ? I guess so!
06-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sorry wrong quote.
Lager sensor will improve IQ no doubt, but there are other ways to improve IQ.

06-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Can we push Q2 to be weather resistant?
What's the point? The Q is smaller than a raindrop!

Last edited by JHD; 06-29-2012 at 10:01 AM.
07-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What's the word on if there will be a Q2 at all? I'm thinking about this system, but I want to know it is going to be supported for at least a gen or three...
07-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If there is a WR version would prefer it to be in addition to a slightly cheaper model maybe multi-coloured for the Jap/Style market.
So maybe WR Pro with all the bits WE want
08-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
smart move by nikon