Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2012, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #1

Helio's Multifinder on the Pentax Q

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone,

I just got a Helios Multifinder MKII and was originally planning to use it on my EP1 with my 17mm since I already have an EVF for the EP3. For those who don't know the Multifinder has brightlines for 35mm, 85mm, and 135mm but none for the standard 50mm but I thought what the heck and tried it out with the Q.

Either by human error or because of the location of the hotshoe on the Q I found that the 35mm lines matched up almost exactly with the 01 Lens. I tried it by taking a few pictures and almost each one had almost identical framing between the 35mm lines and the 01 Lens. The difference was so minuscule that I think I will use it more on the Q with 01 than on the EP1 with the 17mm.

Does anyone know why or how the multifinder is matching so well with the 01 lens?

Thanks!

07-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting! Can you show a picture of how this looks on the Q?

Strange indeed that 35mm lines should match the Q's 01 lens, which is supposed to be 47,5mm equivalent. Unless the markings on the viewfinder aren't intended for 135format? I couldn't find much information on this product, but could it be that it is made for Sony's NEX line? If they were for APS-C that would explain the 35mm markings more or less matching the 01's frame.

Wim
07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #3

here's one on ebay

Helios Multifinder Mk2 Viewfinder | eBay
07-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've looked these and wondered about them, so it's good to hear that someone has direct experience of one on the Q. I bought the Samsung OVF-1, which gives a broad field of view but has bright line markings only for 21mm equivalent on 35mm frame, mainly because the Pentax OVF is such an outrageous price, in comparison.

The Helios is not uncommon on eBay and priced fairly low, so I may purchase one if your experience proves to be a good one over time.

Thanks for sharing this.
Rob

07-15-2012, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Pentax 43mm/50mm finder for my Pentax-L 43mm lens (FA*43 for Leica) - I'll have to try it to see how close the 43mm frame matches with the 01 lens on the Q.

Regards, Jim