Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

First weekend with my Q

I finally decided to get a Q when I saw srsmicrosystems selling it for 299£ with 01 prime + free of choice toy lens. So I got the toy tele and also bought the fisheye. :-)

Here are my first experiences!

I've had an lx3 as a compact camera before, but the IQ was too bad so I sold it. I think my K-5 is just too big to bring every time I'm out on a party, fishing etc. So I thought the Q was perfect - and it was.

I've taken about 560 pictures this weekend at my grand parents cabin near the ocean in north Sweden. I was there Jerk Bait (I also got lure buying addiction, two kinds of LBA) fishing with my little brother. All of the shots were taken in JPG but one, all are straight out of camera except some that are cropped or straightened.

I did not buy this camera to pixel peep, it's for documenting and having fun, the IQ is was never the deciding factor when buying, though it's VERY good when used correctly.

I did shoot some RAW+ and I was not very happy with the jpg's when comparing them to the RAW. The JPG's of the 01 prime looks flat and the exposure of the JPG's are very random even if the RAW is correct. When viewing the RAW and jpg side by side I can see that the RAW got more details etc without even zooming in. Anyway the jpgs looks generally good.

The 01 prime is very nice, no complaints, even a metal mount. The fisheye is impossible to focus, if I set it at infinity everything will be blurry so I have to keep the focus ring about 2mm from infinity to get OK shots at far distances, it's also very hard to focus because the screen is very hard to see in daylight... One might think the focus depth is infinite with a fisheye on a small sensor like the Q's, but it's not. One cool thing is the near limit of the fisheye, you can take very cool "macro" shots with it (try it with portraits!). I haven't yet tried the toy tele.

After this weekend I'm glad I didn't buy something boring like a G12.

Sorry for the image spam! Link to the full gallery is here, https://plus.google.com/photos/104622329385312614197/albums/5762897371226653...CODV4NrM39OCTg

Here are some of the shots, remember there's no PP,

My Jerk equipment (and my brother). ABU Ambassadeur reel and Sjösländan rod (made in Sweden )

Buster Jerk. The best Jerk Bait there is.

Mad pike

We fish with catch and release, but this one did not make it. Very colorful. My grandmother boiled it for the cat :-)

Looks very small but is actually 4kgs. How is it that fish always looks small on photographs?

Walking my grandfathers puppy, taken with fisheye

The ice destroyed the dock last winter, so there was a caterpillar there and fixed it (almost). Looks better than before at least, it had been shuffled from the rocks in to the sea.

Do you see the moose? 100% crop from the 01 prime, don't know the f, but it's probably around 3,5-5,6. The ND filter might be activated, don't know if thats bad for IQ.

Does he look surprised? He's like "oops, I got a hook in my brains". Fisheye like 5cm away. Notice his little needles on the sides and back. These guys are huge in numbers, and when the water gets warm in the summer they die and float up on the beach where you step on them

Buster Jerk

fisheye

Going out fishing

fisheyed

The open sea and me, lovely place. This might be a RAW converted by picasa, not sure.

Fisheye of my brother and the cabin

My brother filling the car, the random guy wondered where the bus station is

Last edited by fikkser; 07-08-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: master of typing errors
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the report, excellent demo of the camera and toy lens!
07-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Boiled for the cat oh my!! That Pike would have had a couple of great filets, just mind the "Y" bones

Fun shots... I've been considering the Q after following a few friends with one on Flickr... Looks like a blast, and something I can put in the hands of my 5 yr old.

Thanks for sharing.
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Boiled for the cat oh my!! That Pike would have had a couple of great filets, just mind the "Y" bones

Fun shots... I've been considering the Q after following a few friends with one on Flickr... Looks like a blast, and something I can put in the hands of my 5 yr old.

Thanks for sharing.
It would be a very nice toy for the 5 year old.

:-)

She made filets and boiled them.

We don't eat Pike very much in Sweden, we mostly fish them for fun. I fish perch for eating, very good smoked, otherwise swedes eat a lot of salmon.

Glad you guys liked it.

07-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Excellent set of photos. Certainly shows what can be done with the Q.

My favourite shot is #12, the shot with the full cabin shown, with all the flowers. That is a nice shot,
07-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice set of photos from the Q. Welcome to the Qute family!!
07-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

07-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice set of photos. I think you summed it up perfectly, I got a Q for exactly the same reason. I was however very pleasantly surprised at the image quality. At the current price point I don't think there is anything to touch it.
07-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #9

You need not worry about focusing the fisheye. You will notice that there is a certain position on the focusing scale that ensures everything in focus from about a meter to infinity. You will soon remember it by heart and set it even without checking the screen. You will only need to focus via the screen for really closeup shots
08-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Do you still got and enjoy the camera? I'm tempted to get one but prices are a bit higher now around here in Europe (Surahammar, yeah pretty close to you).
08-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

fikkser... as a person who still owns an LX3, I am interested in how you would compare its image quality to the Q's.
08-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

enjoyable photos, thank you.
Yes the Q is very capable camera to complement K-5.
I have 01+02 but predominantly use 01.
08-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Do you still got and enjoy the camera? I'm tempted to get one but prices are a bit higher now around here in Europe (Surahammar, yeah pretty close to you).
Yes, a very nice camera. Get one from srs microsystems, very good reseller, like cyberphoto with better prices :-) Pentax Q Cameras - Compact System Cameras - Page 1 - SRS Microsystems

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
fikkser... as a person who still owns an LX3, I am interested in how you would compare its image quality to the Q's.
Hard to remember now since I sold my LX3 6 months ago or so. But the LX3 was very frustrating to use at iso 400 and above, colors messed up big time etc. It's like the difference between k10 and k-5. The Q got very nice high ISO wile keeping the colors and the noise looks very similar to the k-5. The LX3 has quite stupid and messy controls and Q is more like a pentax dslr. I also use the filters a lot on the Q, for example I just turn the front dial to 3 where I've put a B&W filter that is very nice to use at very high ISO. The Q doesn't do any wonders, but it surely beats the LX3 in most situations and it's fun.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
enjoyable photos, thank you.
Yes the Q is very capable camera to complement K-5.
I have 01+02 but predominantly use 01.
Good to hear, thanks. Is the 02 worth the money?
08-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Good to hear, thanks. Is the 02 worth the money?
you are welcome,
honestly I do not really know how much 02 sells for, mine came within a kit "Q+01+02" at a very good price.
By all means it is good and very capable lens, I just do not use it.
I like the Q for it's compactness and with 01 it is just perfect.
08-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Nice narrative on your Q usage and nice catch too.
Wish there are pikes in the waters around here...

Do they taste that bad? 'muddy' taste? Bones?