Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #1

Dropped my Q

Was switched on, with the flash thingy extended and the fisheye attached. No excuses here, clumsy me, had never dropped a camera in over a decade, was bound to happen sooner or later. It hit a metal surface and then tumbled down and rolled on the pavement. That's the Q fecked, I thought. Wrong. The fisheye got a small dent on the front element, which was hardly surprising as the glass protrudes, but the camera itself escaped without any damage whatsoever, not even the extended flash. Tested the fisheye briefly after the accident and there is no decentering from the impact sustained and no loss of sharpness anywhere in the frame from the dent on the front element, although bright pinpointed light sources are now likely to play some havoc. But there is actually an improvement as well: the focusing ring has become tighter and it is now impossible to dislodge it from the chosen position by the slightest of accidental touches/brushes. I can put the lens cap on and put it in my pocket and then take it out again and it will conveniently remain in the previously set focus position :-)

07-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry about the accident. You get kudos for the positive attitude about it!
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Kirill_est,

My Q has been knocked around quite a bit. It's always in a jacket or cargo pocket, and it's gotten quite a few accidental sharp knocks where I was a bit worried about it, and has survived all without any adverse effects except for a temporary extra tight MF ring on the 01 Prime that has subsequently fixed itself. In my experience, the Q's robust build quality has been repeatedly confirmed by my careless acts. I am especially careful not to drop it though. I've installed a Camdapter Camstrap, and use it religiously, even though it adds to the bulk.

Scott