What a coincedence, my birthday is in September
Now is the time to begin lobbying

07-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
What a coincedence, my birthday is in September
Now is the time to begin lobbying
Hope you win. I'm interested in a new pocket sized alternative camera and the RX100 looks great but its a bit pricy. The LX5 looks good and the prices should drop more once the LX7 is actually out. The Q keeps calling to me but its just not really pocketable the way those cameras appear to be.
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm interested in a new pocket sized alternative camera and the RX100 looks great but its a bit pricy...The Q keeps calling to me but its just not really pocketable the way those cameras appear to be.
The recent heavily discounted prices have had me seriously thinking about the Q too...but I'm coming to the conclusion that once you add the zoom it's no cheaper than the RX100, not nearly as pocketable, and of course outclassed in terms of sensor size.
07-17-2012, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
But will the Pana, Sony, or any other compact camera be as fun to shoot as the Q and just get out of the photographer's way? My experience with other small cameras says no. The other cameras can't evolve like the Q can. They are stuck with the lens they came with. Theres no Sonnetar for a Sony.
thanks
barondla

What we need is a pancake wideangle for the Q. I would be in line so fast.

07-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
But will the Pana, Sony, or any other compact camera be as fun to shoot as the Q and just get out of the photographer's way? My experience with other small cameras says no. The other cameras can't evolve like the Q can. They are stuck with the lens they came with. Theres no Sonnetar for a Sony.
thanks
barondla

What we need is a pancake wideangle for the Q. I would be in line so fast.

No other compact will be as much fun or as rewarding to shoot with as the Q.

Even without the other lenses im still having fun with just the 01. But i do think i need the zoom or the fisheye soon...
07-19-2012, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by walternewton Quote
The recent heavily discounted prices have had me seriously thinking about the Q too...but I'm coming to the conclusion that once you add the zoom it's no cheaper than the RX100, not nearly as pocketable, and of course outclassed in terms of sensor size.
Sensor size/performance is a never ending story. It will get better and maybe try to be larger every time in the future.
The thing is, sensor performance has come to a point where its pretty good in most conditions, esp. with good fast lenses.
This is where a camera like the Q stands right now.
Performance that allows one to take shots good enough for normal viewing in lowish light (with a f1.9 Prime 01) and pretty fine performance in good light.
Damn.... its already better than my K100D.

Pocketability is a moot point imo.
All of these small cameras are pocketable if you ave a big enough pocket.
They are not pocketable no matter what if you typically wear clothes with tight pockets.
They are all basically encumbrance free if you just sling them on the shoulder (I prefer cross sling for even more comfort).
They all carry nicely and not weigh much if held in hand with a wrist strap.
A Q can have a small profile if one accepts that the lens is 'collapsible' by detaching the lens. (thats stretching it of course ; personally, I carry in a pouch or sling it)
Will the process of taking out and attaching the lens mean more missed shots?
Compared with taking out the camera from pocket, removing the lens cap and starting it up on a more regular pns.... I doubt.
Yes, the latter is faster, but they are all slow and the moment would have passed anyway.
Basically, when we keep the camera in some form or other (ie. pocket, pouch, etc), we are generally in 'travel mode'.
That means we are kinda putting taking photos in the back seat for a while while we move from point A to B (or do some other task)

The Q with an array of lenses can become expensive. Its a system, not a stand alone.
But then most of these costs transfer over when a new camera comes along.

To me, if you like cameras and admire them, the Q is unique.
Sort of like how some camera makers went out there in the film days and did the 110, PEN, 44 cameras.
The Q is like a digital version of those (and those days)

Its not a perfect camera/system (which is), but its certainly a fun one to use.