Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

'Q' or Leica D-LUX5 or what?

Seems like the reviews these 2 cams get are not that great. I love my K-01, but would like a smaller cam for pocket. What is out there is anyhting that fits the bill for a high IQ pocket cam? (Preferably with interchange lenses.)

Thanks

07-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The reason why the Q has bad reviews is because it's interchangeable yet uses sensor of a P&S. The image quality of the Q is actually quite good and some pictures you get out of it doesn't even look like P&S. Just keep ISO at a low setting and the images will turn out awesome. I personally would love to get my hands on a Q just to have fun with.
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just curious, but why not go for the Panasonic Lumix LX5? From what I have read, the Lumix and Leica are functionally identical. You do get Lightroom and a longer warranty with the Leica but the Lumix is cheaper than either the Q or Leica.
07-10-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Just curious, but why not go for the Panasonic Lumix LX5? From what I have read, the Lumix and Leica are functionally identical. You do get Lightroom and a longer warranty with the Leica but the Lumix is cheaper than either the Q or Leica.
The LX5 is a very nice camera with an f2.0 lens, but its getting a bit older and only goes to 90mm equivalent. I'm wondering if a follow-on model is in the works for release this year as the LX-5, if memory serves, was released in 2010. There was an interview with the senior engineer for Panasonic recently that seemed to indicate that the LX-6 will have a Micro 4/3's sensor too.
http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/panasonic-lx...c=rss&attr=all

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-10-2012 at 12:06 PM.
07-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The LX5 is a very nice camera with an f2.0 lens, but its getting a bit older and only goes to 90mm equivalent. I'm wondering if a follow-on model is in the works for release this year as the LX-5, if memory serves, was released in 2010. There was an interview with the senior engineer for Panasonic recently that seemed to indicate that the LX-6 will have a Micro 4/3's sensor too.
Panasonic LX series to have larger sensor | News | TechRadar
I agree, I was just commenting on the 2 choices he listed.

If I had the money, I would look at the Sony RX100.
07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree, I was just commenting on the 2 choices he listed.

If I had the money, I would look at the Sony RX100.
That one had escaped my notice, probably because I used to be a big Sony P&S fan but then they went soft in their rendering about 3-4 years ago and I changed over to Panasonic for my P&S cameras and have been very happy. I'll take a look at the Sony RX100 but a quick google shows that they are running around $650.
07-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That one had escaped my notice, probably because I used to be a big Sony P&S fan but then they went soft in their rendering about 3-4 years ago and I changed over to Panasonic for my P&S cameras and have been very happy. I'll take a look at the Sony RX100 but a quick google shows that they are running around $650.
Can I ask which Panasonics you have went with?

Honestly, I was looking at the Lumix LX5 as well. I understand it is getting old, but that is why it is actually in my price range, lol.
I am going back and forth between the LX5 and the S100. I know the S100 is newer and supposedly has better IQ, but i just love the way the LX5 looks and it has a wider angle, which to me is more important the the telephoto end.

07-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Can I ask which Panasonics you have went with?

Honestly, I was looking at the Lumix LX5 as well. I understand it is getting old, but that is why it is actually in my price range, lol.
I am going back and forth between the LX5 and the S100. I know the S100 is newer and supposedly has better IQ, but i just love the way the LX5 looks and it has a wider angle, which to me is more important the the telephoto end.
I went with a more traditional Panasonic offering - a superzoom P&S - in the ZS-5 from 2010. It's getting time to consider a new P&S which is why I am interested in the LX5 and its possible replacement.
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a Pana LX2. Nice camera love the longer format. Once I got the Q the Pana mostly sits. Q is so much quicker to operate ( like a Pentax DSLR). Q picture quality is better than LX2. Imagine the LX5 is also better than the LX2. Played with a friend's LX5 and was dismayed that the camera grew bigger than LX2. Same friend played with my Q. He now owns a Q and sold the Pana. The Q is just a joy to shoot with and I love the 3 shot HDR mode that allows the small sensor to handle great dynamic range.

Then the Q pulls double duty as a macro/ tele monster camera. So cool. Then there is the fisheye lens that adds even more fun.
thanks
barondla
07-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I don't care what brand it is. As long as it is a lot smaller than a K-01. It has to have xlnt IQ, large mp and would shoot wide or take a wide lens
07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lx5 & d-lux5

I have both LX5 & D-LUX5 in my family, and I can say D-LUX 5 has better lens coating and JPEG compression hence better IQ in general. But I wouldn't use that to argue about the huge price difference.
07-10-2012, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

The Sony RX100 and the Olympus EPM1 are 2 cameras that have extremely small body sizes given how big of a sensor they pack. The EPM1 at least can be had very cheaply, partner it with a pancake like a 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 and you have a very small camera with excellent IQ. The NEX series too, but their lenses are big

There's no way now I'd be buying any dedicated camera with smaller than a 1" (2.7 crop) sensor, not when there are options like these. The S90/95/100 & LX3 were very good cameras for 2010 ish, but in 2012 I don't think those cameras are good choices any more.
07-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
I have both LX5 & D-LUX5 in my family, and I can say D-LUX 5 has better lens coating and JPEG compression hence better IQ in general. But I wouldn't use that to argue about the huge price difference.
The D-LUX5 is selling for $799 and the new RX-100 from Sony is listing at $679 or so. If I got that then the RX-100 needs to be darn good because its up in the same price range. The D-LUX5 is about 2 years old as well, so a D-LUX6 ought to be along any time.
07-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The D-LUX5 is selling for $799 and the new RX-100 from Sony is listing at $679 or so. If I got that then the RX-100 needs to be darn good because its up in the same price range.
I think it's the other way round, the D-LUX5 is a Panasonic LX5, which makes it a more expensive camera with much smaller sensor. The RX100 is going to have far better IQ for cheaper.
07-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I think it's the other way round, the D-LUX5 is a Panasonic LX5, which makes it a more expensive camera with much smaller sensor. The RX100 is going to have far better IQ for cheaper.
Still, its a Leica. Seriously, that is one camera name that sells. Most of my physician friends wouldn't know what size the sensor was in their camera if you held a gun to their head, but they would know that a Leica is a high-end piece of kit.

But I see your point. The sensor in the RX100 is much larger.

What about the The Samsung EX2F? It's magnesium-bodied and has a 12.4MP BSI CMOS 1/1.7" (7.44 x 5.58 mm) sensor and an f1.4 24-80mm lens, fully articulated LCD, etc. ISO sensitivity can be extended up to ISO 12,800 and it has a hotshoe. The 'F' in the model name designates WiFi, and includes Mobile Link, Remote Viewfinder, Email and Auto Backup.