Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stumbled on easy way to add apertures to 110 lenses!

Using the RJ Q>110 lens adapter found that my standard aperture discs from the Lensbaby Composer/Control Freak/Muse/2.0/3G fit absolutely perfectly into the back of the RJ adapter. There is a ridge in the adapter that the LB discs friction fit up against. You must put the discs in from the back "camera" side. This means removing the adapter from the Q body, but it is no big deal. This places the aperture between Q and 110 lens. To change disc you remove adapter from body and use a small hook ( mine is bent from a paper clip) to remove. You can also forget hook and take lens off to push finger thru adapter.

In a very quick trial found that f11 disc seems to give approx a full step aperture decrease. About f4. Haven't played to find the next step because Q doesn't like to be closed down much due to diffraction.

Added a couple of pics to illustrate the setup. If you don't have a Lensbaby, shame. They do sell the aperture discs seperately.
thanks
barondla

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi barondla,

Nice find!

This should help the sharpness of these lenses as they all are a bit soft IMO. Please post some example shots if you get the chance.

At first, I was a bit surprised to see such a small hole would only result in 1 stop difference, but looking at the rear lens element of one of my P110 lenses, it's pretty small, so this makes sense now.

Here is a ink for anyone who might be interested in playing with these:

The Standard Aperture Kit -- Lensbaby Magnetic Aperture Set for All Lensbaby Lenses LBMAS B&H

Scott
03-24-2015, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Holy thread revival BatMan! I've just picked up another set of Pentax 110 lenses including the 70mm and a Soligor 1.7x teleconvertor. Rather than play around with the ring binder reinforcement rings that I used on my other set, I'm going to try a set of these aperture rings to see how the lenses respond to stopping down. The thing I like about the 110 lenses, apart from their size, is the long smooth throw of the focus ring which is ideal for fine tuning the manual focussing.
03-24-2015, 11:40 PM   #4

I tried the aperture rings of my MF 100/4-Lensbaby in combination with th 110-50/2,8. F16 and F22 (would be F8 and F11 for 50mm) do not increase the sharpness significantly -but take away some light (less than expected).
Even subjects apart of the focal plain ar not that different - may be the aperure plane in the middle of the adapter is too far away from the right (auto110)-position.

btw. the middle format discs are a bit tight in the adapter.