Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filters on the Q (ND, IR, ...)?

Hello all,

I have the Pentax branded polarizer and am now looking at other possible filters. An ND filter is interesting to allow longer exposures, so that's one I'm considering. did anyone have any experience with this on the Q yet?

Another that I might get is a IR filter for IR photography. I wonder whether anyone has already tested the Q on this? Does it capture a lot of IR light or not? i.e. would it remain possible to shoot IR handheld, or is it for long exposures only (so preferably on a tripod)?

Tx, Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 07-16-2012 at 06:58 AM.
07-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 01 and 02 lenses have a 2x ND filter built in. Are you looking for a higher filter factor?

A good ND8 (coated) is difficult to find in a 40.5mm size.

Regards, Jim
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Wim,

I hadn't tried an IR filter with the Q yet, so i broke out the Hoya R72 and grabbed a quick shot. This is in full sunlight, Jpeg, Auto ISO, Av Priority, and handheld very casually, with the 01 prime set at F1.9. I got 1/60 at ISO 2500. I was just holding the filter in front of the lens manually. The example posted is only downsized in steps to 800x600 with no other PP. The downsizing alone was enough to pretty much eliminate the noise, which I didn't really find that objectionable at full size, and could have been easily dealt with using Topaz Denoise.

I regularly shoot the Q at up to 3200 with the Q, and I generally shoot jpegs with the camera set to High ISO NR set to "Low" and in camera sharpening set to -4, so I'd have a bit more capability to shoot at lower light levels handheld.This is pretty good, IMO. Another use for the Q. . .Thanks for suggesting it.

Scott
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
07-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
The 01 and 02 lenses have a 2x ND filter built in. Are you looking for a higher filter factor?

A good ND8 (coated) is difficult to find in a 40.5mm size.

Regards, Jim
Hi Jim, I'm indeed looking at higher filter factors. 2x ND filter is nice to keep shutter speeds within the Q's range because it requires shooting at large apertures, but not really to slow down to achieve really long exposures. Stopping down like one might on a DSLR is not really an option because of diffraction. I'll probably get a step-up adapter to mount my larger filters to try first, but the lousy weather we're having this summer in North Western Europe means there's little opportunities to go out and shoot comfortably...

Wim

07-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Wim,

I hadn't tried an IR filter with the Q yet, so i broke out the Hoya R72 and grabbed a quick shot. This is in full sunlight, Jpeg, Auto ISO, Av Priority, and handheld very casually, with the 01 prime set at F1.9. I got 1/60 at ISO 2500. I was just holding the filter in front of the lens manually. The example posted is only downsized in steps to 800x600 with no other PP. The downsizing alone was enough to pretty much eliminate the noise, which I didn't really find that objectionable at full size, and could have been easily dealt with using Topaz Denoise.

I regularly shoot the Q at up to 3200 with the Q, and I generally shoot jpegs with the camera set to High ISO NR set to "Low" and in camera sharpening set to -4, so I'd have a bit more capability to shoot at lower light levels handheld.This is pretty good, IMO. Another use for the Q. . .Thanks for suggesting it.

Scott
Hi Scott, Nice result, though perhaps the ISO might be a bit high to allow for good quality IR photography. Seems the Q's IR sensitivity isn't much different from Pentax's DSLRs. There used to be a time when these little sensors were more IR sensitive. Your result show that IR photography is possible with the Q, though I don't think it justifies the purchase of a separate filter. I'll go for a step-up adapter instead I think.

Tx for taking the trouble testing this!! Esp since you have the Hoya R72 filter, which is exactly the filter I have myself. Local weather is too cloudy here in spite of it being mid summer, and one needs the sun to test IR photography...

Wim