Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Joined the Q Continuum

Sorry for the cheesy Star Trek reference, but I couldn't help myself.

Anyway, just pulled the trigger on a black Q with the 01 Prime and 03 Fisheye. I love my K-5, but every time I go somewhere I always find myself asking, "Do I really feel like bringing my SLR?" Unfortunately, the answer is usually, "Not really," and of course the old adage is the best camera is the one you bring.

I wanted a camera with good IQ and could shoot in RAW. I looked at a few Canon and Sony P&S, but I decided that between my Pentax lenses, K-x and K-5, Pentax hasn't let me down so far. Also, I'm going to Disney World in the fall, and I really couldn't imagine carrying the K-5 around for 8+ hours a day, even with only a single kit lens.

So I'll let you all know how it goes, right now I'm just looking forward to the mailman bringing the box from Adorama.

07-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You'll love it. My Q + lenses live permanently in my briefcase, and numerous times have made my daily commute or a business trip into a photo opportunity.

Not regretting it one iota. Yes, the best camera is the one you have with you.
07-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. I hope its everything you want it to be, but smaller
07-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by turboast4 Quote
No apologies necessary. Q reference noted and appreciated.

07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by turboast4 Quote

Anyway, just pulled the trigger on a black Q with the 01 Prime and 03 Fisheye. I love my K-5, but every time I go somewhere I always find myself asking, "Do I really feel like bringing my SLR?" Unfortunately, the answer is usually, "Not really," and of course the old adage is the best camera is the one you bring.

I wanted a camera with good IQ and could shoot in RAW. I looked at a few Canon and Sony P&S, but I decided that between my Pentax lenses, K-x and K-5, Pentax hasn't let me down so far. Also, I'm going to Disney World in the fall, and I really couldn't imagine carrying the K-5 around for 8+ hours a day, even with only a single kit lens.

So I'll let you all know how it goes, right now I'm just looking forward to the mailman bringing the box from Adorama.
This is one of the most refreshing posts I've seen in a long time. Sound reasoning and a Star Trek reference. Well done. I do agree with you about the best camera being the one with you. The Q seems like the prefect fit to give you the fun of a ILC camera, but with the size of a digicam.
07-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Congratulations!! Hope you'll enjoy that little marvel!

Don't forget to upgrade the firmware on the camera and lens.

Wim
07-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #7
Banned

Photos: Albums

07-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the same kit a few months ago, and I'm finding it goes many places with me. Although Pentax was criticized heavily for using such a small sensor, in good light the Q is pleasingly good, and at high ISO, the built-in noise reduction algorithm can produce some astoundingly good photos. I shot RAW+ with it on a recent holiday abroad, and found that night shots with the Q were perfectly acceptable straight out of the camera. It's not up to the standard of the K-5, of course, but it's far from useless in adverse lighting, and you hardly notice you're carrying it around. The next version can only be better again.
07-17-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love the Star Trek reference!!

And, you will love the Q! Hope to see some shots soon. It is the perfect take anywhere camera. Love the K-5 but can't take it everywhere I go. Much more useful then a camera phone also.
07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Good post. Enjoy the camera!

I have so many TNG discs waiting for my boys to grow a little older. Really looking to revisiting it with them.

Tried Sagan's Cosmos with them recently, but they aren't there yet. Watched the Wombles today and they quite liked that, although a bit simple these days. Also looking forward to the 10th Kingdom with them.
07-17-2012, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

"Underground, overground, wombling free"
"The Wombles of Wimbledon Common are we"

(I think that was how the tune started. It's been a long time.)

OP: Nothing wrong with a Star Trek reference. Just as long as your new camera doesn't accidentally summon the Borg Collective somehow.
07-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #12

I think you'll really like it. I carry my Q with me every day--it reminds me very much of my screwmount Leica with collapsible 50. Image quality in good light is quite close, depending upon film, which for me was usually a 400 b&w. The Q is really fun to shoot and takes very good photos in good light. I don't love SooC color, but I'm mostly a b&w shooter, anyway.

A Q with zoom would be really fun at Disney--augment with the fisheye. I really enjoy the Q/zoom combo for family stuff like that. And when you have "downtime" (haha) you can get creative and have some fun--the Q will respond to whatever photographic skill you throw at it.

I'm taking a trip to Hawaii soon, and I'm struggling with whether I should take the Q or not. As I mentioned I'm not thrilled with the SooC colors, and with my disdain for post processing that may seal the deal. But the zoom, while handy, wonderfully build, and such a joy to use (the zoom action is so smooth) isn't up to the quality of the prime. It's like adding a heavier AA filter on the front... And I'll likely make a few wall prints from that trip...

In any case, there are pros and cons to every camera system, but the Q is so fun, so versatile (with its interchangeable lenses), and really quite good. Your more expensive cameras are guaranteed to see less use! Even at home , where I have access to some really neat stuff, I often just grab the Q!
07-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah, John de Lancie. I just love that guy, the character too, but also the guy. He's a total peach in real life, so funny, just an awesome, awesome man. Not pretentious at all. A real gentleman. Yeah, I'm gushing, sue me. I have reason. He helped me with my bags once just because he saw me juggling. Just scooped them up and carried them for me to my rental car. He joked the whole way there. Made me laugh so hard. He's happily married, has been for years but I'd run off to Tahiti with him in a heartbeat. As far as Trek characters are concerned I still love Spock (and Saavik) more but not by much. I'm a total Q devotee.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #14

@turboast4.....Well? :-) I received my 03 lens last week but have not put it through many tests, but really like it. I just have to remember it is manual focus though!
07-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #15

@k10perry I love the fisheye! Technical quality isn't perfect, but it's so fun to use and good enough, you won't care.

close up

Or mind bending...

The choice is yours