Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Noise on LCD

I just got my Q from Amazon and notice that with the lens cap on (or if shooting a near-black scene) I see periodic flickers of yellow noise on the LCD. The noise is not visible in images, however. Changing the settings having to do with noise reduction doesn't seem to affect it. Maybe it's an artifact of the live view electronics trying to "gain up" the scene to produce a usable image.

Is this normal or do I have a defective camera? Any help/thoughts would be appreciated. Apologies if this has been discussed before and everybody but me knows the answer...

Regards, Jim

07-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Pretty sure thats normal when shooting near black
07-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same here, no worries Jim.

Wim
07-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Jim,

I think you are seeing an effect of having "Bright / Dark area" indicators option turned "On" in the #3 tab in the recording (first) menu under "LCD View Options". If you "uncheck" this option, you'll probably find that this phenomenon disappears. I just tried it on my Q, and that's what happened.

I think the camera tries to disable this feature if the scene is very predominantly bright or dark as the indicators would dominate the viewfinder, and would be very annoying (to me, at least).

For those who aren't familiar with this feature, it flashes blown out areas in the scene with red and totally black areas in yellow on the LCD, a feature that allows you to compensate for either highlights or shadows if the scene's dynamic range is beyond the sensor's capability to record.

Scott

07-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnaks, guys. I knew that someone in this forum would have the answer.

Snostorm has it right; it's a byproduct of having the "Bright/Dark Area" setting checked. If this setting is turned off, no yellow noise pulses are visible. All in all, I think I can do without this indicator for most of my shooting, as I mainly use the histogram in image review.

Interesting that my K-7 and K-5 do not show this behavior...

Regards, Jim