Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Darn tiny lenses!

I believe "oops" is the word...

Darn Q lenses are so small that I often carry the fish-eye in my pants pockets... so obviously what HAD to happen has happened last night.

I forgot the fish eye in my pocket and it went thru the washer and dryer with my pants.

Q lens now has tiny scratches (caps came off in my pocket) and has water stains inside the lens.

I'll open it up to see if I can clean it, or else I'll just buy another one... it's a good thing the Q fish-eye is pretty cheap.

ugh!

Pat

07-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same boat, different river.

I used to have a regular-sized, white iPod "iBrick" that I loved to carry around.

It got stolen. I replaced it with an iPod Nano or two from eBay.

Damn iPod Nanos went through the wash twice each. I literally can't tell if I'm carrying one just by feel, I have to stick my hand in my pocket and do a search.

That sounds dirty somehow.

Last edited by unixrevolution; 07-27-2012 at 08:13 AM.
07-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Good to see that you are pretty upbeat about it! I'm terrible with tiny things and if I had a Q, I can see this happening to me too!
07-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry about the lens. Perhaps a small waterproof bag for carrying it in your pocket might provide a level of safety in future?

07-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about your fisheye...

I've been curious about the innards, if you could, when you take it apart... See if you think the aperture mechanism could modified to be a larger opening. I've been curious if there's a disc in there that restricts it to f5.6, or if it's simply a built in physical limitation. If it could be modified, I'm considering buying a 2nd fisheye to do so. Id love to have more effective light on the sensor indoors, I think the fish is super fun indoors.

07-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I've been curious about the innards
Will take some pics when I take it apart... I am away from home so I do not have my micro tools, but when I get back I'll see if I can get to those water stains and will document it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Perhaps a small waterproof bag for carrying it in your pocket might provide a level of safety in future?
Yup, thats what I'll do... I'm going to carry it's replacement in a custom made Ziplock.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Good to see that you are pretty upbeat about it!
Well, it's not like I can do anythingn about it... and it's only "stuff"... stuff can be replaced. (in my line of work, you get a pretty relaxed perspective on "stuff").

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Damn iPod Nanos went through the wash twice each
Ouch!!! I've run a few electronics thru the wash and I'll usually soak them in distilled water for 5-6 hours to dilute all the soap. 90% of times after a thorough drying (like an afternoon in the hot summer sun) they work fine after.

Pat
07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dont feel bad I did the same thing, left it in my pocket and washed it, mine was destroyed though and I just tossed and took it as a lesson learned...

07-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
That sounds dirty somehow.
It gets worse, if you think about it - your mother probably used to do it, too.

I can understand missing the 01 lens in a pocket, so I can imagine the fisheye would be similar. However, I've never had any pockets big enough to comfortably fit any bits of my Q, other than in a jacket, which I tend to dry clean, rather than wash. Come to think of it, a chemical clean could produce some interesting optical effects, too.

I picked up a small Hama bag with a long strap, recently, to house the 01/02 kit, and I hardly notice it's there, which could be an issue in itself, I realise.

In any event, I can empathise with your loss. Good thing it wasn't an 01!
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
Dont feel bad I did the same thing
Fortunately I don't feel too bad about it... if anything it gave me an occasion to disassemble it and peek inside (I'm a MAKEer, been taking stuff apart my whole life!) =D

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Good thing it wasn't an 01!
That would have made me a little sad... and then I would have disassembled it

Incidentally, I have documented my disassembly of the 03 Fish-Eye in this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/194297-insides-q-03-fish-eye.html

Pat