Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #1

PEN & Q users: Accessories, Lenses, Filters, Fun for sharing?

Hey all. I just got a Pentax Q. (Squeals!) My husband ordered an Olympus PL1. We're not uppity about certain specs and whatnot, we just want extreme portability with manual qualities and artistic flexibility. I guess you could say we got these for "street photography" purposes. Live shows, urban adventures, whatnot.

We'd like to maximize our purchases (and storage!) by sharing as many components and accessories as possible. (I know this means I'll be investing in adaptors.) Does anyone have experience intersecting products for use with both of these cameras? I'd love to hear about it!

07-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the land of Q and this forum. The Q is a great little camera and should be great for portability and artistic exploration. You will have fun with the Q, and probably never leave home without it.! I have both the Q and Olympus E-PL1.

Even with an adapter, the Q lenses won't work well with Olympus. The Olympus is thicker so the lens won't focus to infinity and Q lenses do not project big enough image circle to fill the whole m4/3 image sensor. The Olympus lenses won't work on the Q because they must have power to focus and adjust the aperture. The cameras will adapt other lenses. For example both would use the tiny Pentax 110 lenses from the 80's ( with two different adapters). The Olympus OM or Pentax K lenses could also be used on either camera. Keep in mind the most expensive Q lens is under $300. The rest are under $140 each.

The flash systems are totally different and will not work in any dedicated auto mode between cameras. A manual flash or one with electric eye could swap between cameras but it might be a pain to use. You would probably end up using the easier builtin flashe instead.

Things that will switch between cameras: Sd memory cards, Filters (40.5mm), straps, cases, and tripod/supports( gotta love the American 1/4 X20" tripod thread on all good cameras).

Hope this helps. Enjoy the Q
barondla

Make sure you do the firmware updates for the Q and the lens.
07-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I pretty sure you can use C-Mount lenses on both cameras, the regular tv c-mounts can be had for cheap but the ones that were designed for use with film especially the kern paillards are optical gems and will cost a pretty penny, but I think on the ep1 you'll have some vignetting on certain lenses...
07-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Welcome to the land of Q and this forum. The Q is a great little camera and should be great for portability and artistic exploration. You will have fun with the Q, and probably never leave home without it.! I have both the Q and Olympus E-PL1.
Thanks! We're excited, these two cameras fit a current set of priorities. I know they're not the biggest and best cameras out there (I used to work for a camera shop) but I've been surprised at some of the incredulous reactions to either of them. I've had my Q for 24 hours and it hasn't left me!

Even with an adapter, the Q lenses won't work well with Olympus. The Olympus is thicker so the lens won't focus to infinity and Q lenses do not project big enough image circle to fill the whole m4/3 image sensor. The Olympus lenses won't work on the Q because they must have power to focus and adjust the aperture. The cameras will adapt other lenses. For example both would use the tiny Pentax 110 lenses from the 80's ( with two different adapters). The Olympus OM or Pentax K lenses could also be used on either camera. Keep in mind the most expensive Q lens is under $300. The rest are under $140 each.
I suspected as much with cross compatibility between the two. Thanks for the references to other models, that is mainly what I was looking for. I know we'll both end up with a hefty supply of individual components, but I was curious who had experience sharing other lenses between the two.

The flash systems are totally different and will not work in any dedicated auto mode between cameras. A manual flash or one with electric eye could swap between cameras but it might be a pain to use. You would probably end up using the easier builtin flashe instead.
I can't see myself wanting to add an external flash to the Q. If I'm in a situation where I'll want that kind of operation, I'll probably be using a different camera anyways. I do see tons of cool pictures where people have added giant lenses and flashes to the Q (tripod mounted of course) and what attracted me to the Q is how tiny and easy it is.

TThings that will switch between cameras: Sd memory cards, Filters (40.5mm), straps, cases, and tripod/supports( gotta love the American 1/4 X20" tripod thread on all good cameras).
I LOVE that both kit lenses are 40.5mm, there are so many filter options.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the Q
barondla

Make sure you do the firmware updates for the Q and the lens.
Thanks again! This is exactly the type of input I was hoping for!

07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bmonki Quote
I pretty sure you can use C-Mount lenses on both cameras, the regular tv c-mounts can be had for cheap but the ones that were designed for use with film especially the kern paillards are optical gems and will cost a pretty penny, but I think on the ep1 you'll have some vignetting on certain lenses...
I have seen quite a few C-Mounts and even T-Mounts targeted for the Q especially, but also Olympus PEN cameras. On Flickr there are some examples in use. Looks interesting!
07-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sarahdear Quote
I have seen quite a few C-Mounts and even T-Mounts targeted for the Q especially, but also Olympus PEN cameras. On Flickr there are some examples in use. Looks interesting!
T-Mount = Telescope, you want a good one of those your paying as much as you would for a FF camera... Ya and te M43 lenses do fit on the Q, gotta remember about that crop factor though, anything other tha a C-Mount will be on the tele side of things as the C-Mounts and D-Mount are like the only lenses that are in good range for the Q...