Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The insides of the Q 03 Fish Eye

Well, as you know in my other thread about my 03 fisheye going thru the washer in my pants pockets I decided to disassemble mine to clean the elements. Sadly the one element that is water stained (front element) is glued in from the front and I cannot reach the problem without breaking something.

The good side is that I took a few photos while disassembling the lens (7 screws and the whole thing comes apart).

The lens

Take out those 3 screws

The mount comes off, and you have 4 more screws to remove (mount has a chip on it's reverse side)

Next the rotating part of the lens comes out

On the oposite side of the part of left (rotating barrel) is the fixed aperture. It appears to be a plastic sticker.

I cleaned all the elements I could reach and the lens is now usable, but due to scratches and the water stain inside the front element any bright light causes smudges and ghosting. I guess it's now my "Instagram" lens

Pat

ps: Click on photos for full sized versions on my gallery

07-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Again, sorry about the lens - but, thanks for sharing the innards of the Q lens.
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry your lens was damaged. Imagine you will get another one. Very glad to see the insides of a Q lens. Even in an inexpensive lens there are quite a few parts. Even a chip. Wonder if the chip does any thing besides report the focal length/aperture to the camera? Have you considered making a second smaller aperture to try? Bigger would also be interesting. That would require irreversable mod of existing aperture or its removal.
thanks
barondla
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Interesting....
and many thanks for sharing.
I wonder if you can punch/poke a hole on a black plastic card and make it a 'F8 lens'

Do you think the mount and electrical contacts couple be used to trick the camera and be used as some sort of extension tube?

07-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

Thank you for posting the disassembly photos! I plan to take mine apart and remove the aperture card. I'll report back how horrifically the photos turn out... Or not.
07-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #6

How about a Q 3.2mm f2.5 fisheye? Sound fun?

Well... I'd say the experiment was a failure. It was, as you reported, easy enough to disassemble. And the aperture disc was easy to remove. Doing so gave approximately 2.5 stops of extra light to the sensor.

But the results were pretty poor. Horrific spherical aberration. I put the disc back. In the near future ill post a few quick shots from my kitchen table for kicks.
07-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
How about a Q 3.2mm f2.5 fisheye? Sound fun?

Well... I'd say the experiment was a failure. It was, as you reported, easy enough to disassemble. And the aperture disc was easy to remove. Doing so gave approximately 2.5 stops of extra light to the sensor.

But the results were pretty poor. Horrific spherical aberration. I put the disc back. In the near future ill post a few quick shots from my kitchen table for kicks.
Ha.. ha.. that puts an end to that question

Thanks for trying out.

08-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
well, you did remove completely the "aperture", but have you tried putting something but a little ... wider ? use a desk perforater (i don't know how you called this in english

maybe it can be a so-so way to get something with a bigger aperture and not so much horrific atrocities
08-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
well, you did remove completely the "aperture", but have you tried putting something but a little ... wider ? use a desk perforater (i don't know how you called this in english

maybe it can be a so-so way to get something with a bigger aperture and not so much horrific atrocities
That sounds like a great experiment. I would suggest that it be done with a different piece of cardboard/paper so that the original one can be maintained in its original state.
08-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

You hit the nail on the head; I didn't want to render the original "aperture" unusable, so I didn't enlarge the hole. Ideally, you'd make up a few of these, and figure out the exact diameter you could enlarge it to without the atrocities occurring.

And there were atrocities.. Oh, my...

Ha!

I'm tied up in some other projects at the moment--maybe later.
08-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would love to see a few of the atrocities! You may have invented the ultimate Q toy lens.
thanks
barondla
08-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You hit the nail on the head; I didn't want to render the original "aperture" unusable, so I didn't enlarge the hole. Ideally, you'd make up a few of these, and figure out the exact diameter you could enlarge it to without the atrocities occurring.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
That sounds like a great experiment. I would suggest that it be done with a different piece of cardboard/paper so that the original one can be maintained in its original state.
Of course, don't alter the original card !!!!!

Do some square of black paper and try with those.
08-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #13

Ok, barondla, I'll post the examples this weekend. I didn't explore the creative potential, because I was really looking to use the fisheye with more reasonable ISOs indoors, hoping the quality wouldn't drop too much in the center. In actuality, quality dropped most in the center, which rendered it useless for me. So I put the card back But you could definitely explore "toy" photography this way!

In fact, if I owned a toy wide, I'd be more likely to go that route with that lens, as it's really supposed to have more of a toy look than it does, anyway. I suspect it would be built in a similar fashion.

The challenge to whoever takes up the "fast fish" project from here is that the aperture card isn't held in place by anything other than glue. The two small pins shown are there to locate and center the card, not hold it in place. To test new aperture sizes without cutting the original, you will have to cut paper to size, create the two holes for the pins, create the aperture disc perfectly centered, and then glue it in place. That will take some time and ingenuity.
08-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

To test new aperture sizes without cutting the original, you will have to cut paper to size, create the two holes for the pins, create the aperture disc perfectly centered, and then glue it in place.
if you are testing new thing, don't glue them !!

In fact, if I owned a toy wide, I'd be more likely to go that route with that lens, as it's really supposed to have more of a toy look than it does, anyway. I suspect it would be built in a similar fashion.
i can't wait to see what you can do with it
08-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #15

The problem as I see it is nothing is holding that card in place (except glue), so any small knock would allow it to float around inside the lens.