Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #61
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Has this review been published by any of the major review sites? It's really exceptional, and paints a much more valid picture of what can be done with this camera than any other review does.

11-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #62
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
I think this thread should be pinned at the top of this forum
12-08-2012, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Bringing back an old thread because the Q has dropped in price again and they updated the firmware to v1.1 with lots of nice improvements. This is a nice review, I'd like to know if you upgraded to v1.1 firmware and what your thoughts are on it?
Sorry to not have replied sooner.
I was undecided if I was to stop posting in PF totally after the disappointment with its lax control over people (who have jumped ship) apparently 'poaching'/influencing users to Canikony especially post Photokina 2012.


However, its in sub-forums like the K01 and the Q that keeps the optimistic spirit alive.


I've upgraded to v1.1.
I don't think I have anything new to add since lots of the guys here have done a great job giving info on camera performance with v1.1.
My impressions :
1. Close focus works properly now (great); before, it often refused to focus
2. Low light focus (big improvement)
3. Focus peaking certainly rocks! - much easier to confirm focus

Here's are 3 shots fresh from a Pentax monthly outing today.







12-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,656
Great pics

These are great animal shots! Which lens/adapter etc? I assume you were using a Q. The exif data is missing so I cannot tell. Thanks for your great help.
















q

12-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #65
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
These are great animal shots! Which lens/adapter etc? I assume you were using a Q. The exif data is missing so I cannot tell. Thanks for your great help.

q
Thanks.
Its the Q with FA*80-200.
The adapter is the 3rd party one.

Long story with the exit data.
When Flickr changed its interface a few years back, I found that I just could not extract the exif data.
Even when I have allowed its viewing in my settings page.
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #66
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7
Great Review

I'm new to the forums and just found this review, which I think is wonderful. My Q (bought last April) is my first Pentax camera, and I really love it. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I'm now finding it to be a wonderful tool. I've also met quite a few interesting folks in my travels who have asked me about it since it's so unusual. I don't know anyone else who uses Pentax, but I'm hooked now. I'm picking up a new (to me) MX at the post office tomorrow, which I just bought off of eBay.

The macro and long focal length shots are just amazing. I definitely need to try that out, especially as I'm about to get my first K-mount lens.

Following are some recent shots with my Q from a trip to Switzerland (Zurich and Zermatt). They are all with the Standard Prime lens, manual focus/exposure, and ISO 125.

Kyle
Attached Images
         
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,722
Great stuff Kyle. Welcome aboard. The Q lends itself very well to monochrome treatment.
01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Kyle Gupton Quote
I'm new to the forums and just found this review, which I think is wonderful. My Q (bought last April) is my first Pentax camera, and I really love it. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I'm now finding it to be a wonderful tool. I've also met quite a few interesting folks in my travels who have asked me about it since it's so unusual. I don't know anyone else who uses Pentax, but I'm hooked now. I'm picking up a new (to me) MX at the post office tomorrow, which I just bought off of eBay.

The macro and long focal length shots are just amazing. I definitely need to try that out, especially as I'm about to get my first K-mount lens.

Following are some recent shots with my Q from a trip to Switzerland (Zurich and Zermatt). They are all with the Standard Prime lens, manual focus/exposure, and ISO 125.

Kyle
Welcome aboard! What a nice introduction to the forum with some terrific Q photos!

01-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,107
QuoteOriginally posted by Kyle Gupton Quote
Kyle
Welcome Kyle! Nice shots.

You may be interested in some of the other Q threads on the forum

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/176169-pentax-q-street-shots-post-them-here.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images.html
01-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #70
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Here's are 3 shots fresh from a Pentax monthly outing today.
These are all beautiful.
01-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #71
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,441
QuoteOriginally posted by Kyle Gupton Quote
I'm new to the forums and just found this review, which I think is wonderful. My Q (bought last April) is my first Pentax camera, and I really love it. It took me a while to get the hang of it, but I'm now finding it to be a wonderful tool. I've also met quite a few interesting folks in my travels who have asked me about it since it's so unusual. I don't know anyone else who uses Pentax, but I'm hooked now. I'm picking up a new (to me) MX at the post office tomorrow, which I just bought off of eBay.

The macro and long focal length shots are just amazing. I definitely need to try that out, especially as I'm about to get my first K-mount lens.

Following are some recent shots with my Q from a trip to Switzerland (Zurich and Zermatt). They are all with the Standard Prime lens, manual focus/exposure, and ISO 125.

Kyle
Lovely shots! Raw or Jpeg?
I did my international high school (gymnasium) work placement training for three weeks in Switzerland and your shots brought back wonderful memories. I worked in Heerbrugg, St.Gallen and lived with a wonderful host family. However my host family took me everywhere from Interlaken and Ballenberg to Bern, we even flew a stunt flight over Bodensee! Also I went to Baden and Zürich the last days as a part of the arrangement.

Switzerland was wonderful and one thing that hit me was how clean it was. I know Sweden is considered clean to but after I've been to Zürich I think Swedish cities looks like dumps in comparison. I would love to go back there...
01-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #72
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Lovely shots! Raw or Jpeg?
I did my international high school (gymnasium) work placement training for three weeks in Switzerland and your shots brought back wonderful memories. I worked in Heerbrugg, St.Gallen and lived with a wonderful host family. However my host family took me everywhere from Interlaken and Ballenberg to Bern, we even flew a stunt flight over Bodensee! Also I went to Baden and Zürich the last days as a part of the arrangement.

Switzerland was wonderful and one thing that hit me was how clean it was. I know Sweden is considered clean to but after I've been to Zürich I think Swedish cities looks like dumps in comparison. I would love to go back there...
Thanks everyone! These are all JPG, straight from the camera with no adjustments or cropping. I used the default Monochrome custom image setting. I was really trying to practice with the Q by setting up the camera as simply as I could.

Kyle
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, mirrorless, pentax, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, price, q10, q7, review, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What does CA look like in the real world... DaveHolmes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 21 05-23-2012 06:59 PM
Pentax K-5 User Review rei_vilo Pentax K-5 4 05-01-2012 09:29 AM
Sigma 17-50 real world photos Armanius Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 04-07-2011 04:10 PM
2mm on UWA: Real World Difference Biro Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 70 10-14-2010 02:59 PM
Real world TEST review K-7 Adrian Owerko Pentax News and Rumors 9 09-01-2009 10:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top