Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great review! The only review focusing on the total Q experience. You cover everything from P&S, to street photography, to crop engine powered ultra macro/telephoto monster. The Q finally gets a review that covers all the capabilties of this ground breaking system. Well done.

Please send the review to Pentax. They should post it on their facebook page. You explain the multiple personalities of the Q perfectly. The Q is a very difficult camera to cover. You nailed the review and used images to illustrate all the strengths of the Q.

thanks for sharing
barondla

08-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
brilliant Q study and images.
love the Q and love Singapore!
your "panorama" link is not working:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/134/i...083and2mor.jpg
kind regards
jack
08-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe that is the single best review ever written of the Q. It is also one of the only in-depth reviews I've seen by a person who was actually using it to make images, rather than using it to test its features.

Honestly, it's also one of the only reviews I've seen that mentioned its actual strengths, beyond the obvious; size and build quality.
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Great review! It really reflects my feeling about the Q as well. The only thing I'm missing (in the review) is shooting using a additional optical view finder. This can actually save some battery live since the Q's LCD can be switched off (pressing the info button twice) while it will still take pictures.

Wim

Last edited by Ishpuini; 08-02-2012 at 01:26 AM.
08-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for looking at the review and the kind comments for it.

I do hope the review brings in more people to see that Pentax did make a camera for photographers (and very much so).
They should really be praised for going out of their way to produce something no one else would dare risk imagining/making, rather than be scorned and laughed at for 'missing the point'
08-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #21
NKK
Inactive Account

Thank you for the review and great pictures.

It's an interesting little camera - have to see it real life though
08-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
Forum Member

that's exactly what i would like people to understand concerning that move from pentax.

Once i said that i'm interested into that pentax Q, several persons took that for nothing but a sort of nonsense , considering that other companies provide, much better products, in that product's category (nikon V1, panasonic, olympus pen, sony nex..)
but the fact is, even if it can seems fishy, that none of these are concurencing the pentax Q for my needs.

every non user have talked a lot about the so small sensor, but none never ever tried to cath the iQ of the Q.
even if not talking about IQ, the way that pentax Q is meant to be used, is just the only product available that can provide, from fun and creative point and shot, to real expert use, from ergonomy and controls, that solid feel, that reminds you once you get it in hands, that it's definetely NOT a TOY ^^

That thing deserves much from enthusiasts photographers, who dont just rely on labs tests, over real world use.

Thanx for that!

Last edited by spellcaster; 08-02-2012 at 02:37 PM.
08-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Great review! It really reflects my feeling about the Q as well. The only thing I'm missing (in the review) is shooting using a additional optical view finder. This can actually save some battery live since the Q's LCD can be switched off (pressing the info button twice) while it will still take pictures.

Wim
It's a dream with the OVF-1 and 01 prime... great street set up...

Last edited by wanderography; 08-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
08-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Great review JK. Have to agree with the battery life, which I find pretty disappointing. Fortunately spare batteries are dirt cheap.
08-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Great review JK. Have to agree with the battery life, which I find pretty disappointing. Fortunately spare batteries are dirt cheap.
Dennis, Thanks.

The Q is still rough at the edges and I'd be happy to see improvements.
The relative lack of firmware updates is disappointing to me.
I just hope Pentax does not kill it after this first model.

I'm still very happy with mine of course. (warts and all)
08-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #26
Forum Member

yeah,

some firmware improvement could be nice

around the flash syncro with non Q megacy lens, for exemple
even the flash wireless system, or maybe that's just me who didn't understand how it goes?

larger magnification for manual focusing (x2 and x4 is ok, but the more the better i guess)

SR with non legacy Q lens is i guess the most important point

all these may be modified through firmware upgrade : /
08-04-2012, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

What an amazing review, ... it says it all. Many thanks.

These days I have a new nightmare : Pentax Ricoh no longer investing in my Q.
This aside from the ff nightmare.
Yesterday I was out with my q with the 01 and 02 and it isn't a p&s, the more attention you give the q, the better and more incredible the results. Indeed.
Finally I have a miraculous mini camera and now I don't want to loose it, I do want more for my q.
In the middle of the night I sat up, haunted to a feverish wake-up: what if I will never have my q tele zoom and worse: what if they never will give me a fast tele and what if that mini macro never comes. I am feverishly wishing for them.
And I know, firmware updates are desirable and there are 3d party k mount adapters, but I want small, q-small. Fast, modern and up-to-date. And if the system is to be neglected, still want the lenses.
It is so bad to have something so beautiful and then fear to have it to just see it die.
08-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #28
Forum Member

Impressive shots!
08-05-2012, 01:13 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spellcaster Quote
yeah,

some firmware improvement could be nice

around the flash syncro with non Q megacy lens, for exemple
even the flash wireless system, or maybe that's just me who didn't understand how it goes?

larger magnification for manual focusing (x2 and x4 is ok, but the more the better i guess)

SR with non legacy Q lens is i guess the most important point

all these may be modified through firmware upgrade : /

Lets see what comes up in the near future.....

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
What an amazing review, ... it says it all. Many thanks.

These days I have a new nightmare : Pentax Ricoh no longer investing in my Q.
This aside from the ff nightmare.
Yesterday I was out with my q with the 01 and 02 and it isn't a p&s, the more attention you give the q, the better and more incredible the results. Indeed.
Finally I have a miraculous mini camera and now I don't want to loose it, I do want more for my q.
In the middle of the night I sat up, haunted to a feverish wake-up: what if I will never have my q tele zoom and worse: what if they never will give me a fast tele and what if that mini macro never comes. I am feverishly wishing for them.
And I know, firmware updates are desirable and there are 3d party k mount adapters, but I want small, q-small. Fast, modern and up-to-date. And if the system is to be neglected, still want the lenses.
It is so bad to have something so beautiful and then fear to have it to just see it die.

Same worry....
But at least I rest in peace knowing I've done what I can and not let this system be left unknown.
About 1536 views on this review in the local forums made up of multi brand users and 1146 here on PF as of writing.

I guess the best we can do is keep shooting and let the results do the talking.

QuoteOriginally posted by AKum8 Quote
Impressive shots!
Thanks.
08-05-2012, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Crop Engine - Long Range Applications
=============================

So far, I've only had a sample shot of the Moon as a long reach application of the Q crop engine capability.
Frankly, that's not a generic application for most folks.
I'd probably get bored with shooting the Moon after the nth time. (Full Moon... Lill' bit done Moon....Half boiled Moon... yawn..... )

Before I got the Q, I thought of the crop engine capability making a 200mm lens a 1100mm lens.
Wow! no need to buy a expensive 500/4.5, I imagined.
But when I finally got one, I realized that it would be a tall order.

1. With the small sensor and pixel density, any good lens would still do fine. Bad lenses, would have their bad points accentuated by the crop factor.
2. Its MF only, and not that easy for live subjects that would shift about (still doable though).
3. At these magnification and pixel density, any mis-focus is very apparent.
4. Its still a crop engine at the end of the day.
Perhaps on best of conditions (perfect focus; very good lens at max sharpness; stopped down less than diffraction limit of about f4.5-f5.6 for the small sensor, ideal DOF ) , the result will still be stunning at 100% crop. Otherwise, I'd be happy to walk away with an image that was good up to 50% crop (thats already very very good over what can be cropped out of any APS-C sensor)

Since I'm not a birder nor have the field craft and tenacity of one under our tropical heat (my :thumbsup: to the birders out there) , I opted for the easy way out to showcase what is possible with the Q+telephoto lens.
Went to the Zoo for a short while and got some animal shots instead.
All shots taken with Pentax Q and FA*80-200/2.8 at f4.

Cropped about 1/10th for composition

Cropped about 40% for composition

Cropped about 1/10th for composition

Those familiar with the Zoo will roughly know how far these fellas are and how much cropping or lens firepower is needed to get shots this close.

Edit : For those not familiar with the Singapore Zoo : Distances are typically 6-12m away as a moat separates viewer to animals.

Last edited by pinholecam; 08-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.